Hotels in the center of London

floridababa

Whenever we travel to the capital, we use Premier Inn. They have hotels in a goodly number of locations throughout the city and are always well priced. Many have a Starbucks attached unfortunately.  We generally use the one at Euston but that's because it's very convenient for the train station (and has a Costa, not Starbucks)

The city "centre" is still very large and, if I was the OP, I would be considering what I was wanting to do with my time in the city and pin down an area for that to base myself in.  You do not want to be wasting valuable touristing time on the Underground, getting from one side to the other. Then look for hotels - you'll find chains and independents

Edited by Harters

Premierinn may not have aircon, I don't remember it in any I've stayed in, which is at least 20 over the years, including a few in London.

London has so many hotels it is a competitive market so don't discount chains such as Holiday Inn, Marriot, Hilton etc.  Key issue with London is location.

Don't find a cheap hotel in Docklands not realising its miles to the west end.

1 hour ago, Thejuggler said:

Premierinn may not have aircon, I don't remember it in any I've stayed in, which is at least 20 over the years, including a few in London.

London has so many hotels it is a competitive market so don't discount chains such as Holiday Inn, Marriot, Hilton etc.  Key issue with London is location.

Don't find a cheap hotel in Docklands not realising its miles to the west end.

Is the Hampton Inn on Waterloo a good location?

2 hours ago, Pete Cruise said:

As my comment at post #3, it's a good location only if you want to do stuff in that area. Decide what you want to do, then pick an area to stay in, then look for a hotel.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pete Cruise said:

Pretty decent 🙂

15 minute walk from London Eye, river cruises, Westminster Bridge ............. 20 from Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Churchill's War Rooms, Whitehall .............. 20 from Shakespeare's Globe, Tate Modern,  South Bank riverside bars & restaurants.............. 10 from Imperial War Museum ............... 10 from main ho-ho route ............. 7 from Waterloo station (trains to Southampton, etc).

Because London's sights are well-spread over an area about 5 miles by 1.5 miles no hotel is close to everywhere, so everyone needs to get  to some places by public transport. London's extensive metro system, The Tube, is the quick way to go, so a handy tube station is essential - there are three tube stations under ten minutes walk from the Hampton Waterloo.🙂

So yes, a pretty decent location.

Closer to Westminster Bridge would be a little more convenient, eg County Hall, but probably more expensive. And Cruise Critic members who've reported back here seem to have been very happy at the Hampton Waterloo 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Pretty decent 🙂

15 minute walk from London Eye, river cruises, Westminster Bridge ............. 20 from Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Churchill's War Rooms, Whitehall .............. 20 from Shakespeare's Globe, Tate Modern,  South Bank riverside bars & restaurants.............. 10 from Imperial War Museum ............... 10 from main ho-ho route ............. 7 from Waterloo station (trains to Southampton, etc).

Because London's sights are well-spread over an area about 5 miles by 1.5 miles no hotel is close to everywhere, so everyone needs to get  to some places by public transport. London's extensive metro system, The Tube, is the quick way to go, so a handy tube station is essential - there are three tube stations under ten minutes walk from the Hampton Waterloo.🙂

So yes, a pretty decent location.

Closer to Westminster Bridge would be a little more convenient, eg County Hall, but probably more expensive. And Cruise Critic members who've reported back here seem to have been very happy at the Hampton Waterloo 

JB 🙂

Thanks for the great information.

No mention when you are visiting.

South Bank around Waterloo is a very lively area during summer and a good location as there is plenty within walking distance.  In winter it is a different place and much quieter.

The RV1 bus links Waterloo to the Tower of London in one direction and Covent Garden the other.

2 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

No mention when you are visiting.

South Bank around Waterloo is a very lively area during summer and a good location as there is plenty within walking distance.  In winter it is a different place and much quieter.

The RV1 bus links Waterloo to the Tower of London in one direction and Covent Garden the other.

We are visiting before our Nov 2022 TA on Carnival Celebration.  I would like to see the Tower of London

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete Cruise said:

We are visiting before our Nov 2022 TA on Carnival Celebration.  I would like to see the Tower of London

The Tower (and Tower Bridge) are the easternmost sights of central London. 

There are of course hotels in that area, but it means that everything else is to the west, so far better to book a hotel that's more-central to the sights. Hence my mention of Westminster Bridge, but Hampton Waterloo is OK.

To beat the worst of the crowds, advice from everyone is to get to the Tower good-and-early.

Nearest tube station is Tower Hill, a five minute walk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/london/travel/downloads/tube_map.html  

If you're super-keen, also check out The Ceremony of the Keys. Free (nominal booking fee) but only about 50 tickets per night so check on availability NOW

https://changing-guard.com/ceremonial/ceremony-of-the-keys.html

Bookmark this website - stacks of London tourist & logistical information for visitors.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/

JB 🙂

• Like 2

But, if you do stay near the Tower, then I'd suggest doing one of the Jack the Ripper walking tours. No need to book - just turn up and pay. Good fun. Lots of other stuff to do in the East - much of which gets neglected by international tourists. Oh, and it's an area with some very decent restaurants - particularly if you like South Asian food.

1 hour ago, Harters said:

But, if you do stay near the Tower, then I'd suggest doing one of the Jack the Ripper walking tours. No need to book - just turn up and pay. Good fun. Lots of other stuff to do in the East - much of which gets neglected by international tourists. Oh, and it's an area with some very decent restaurants - particularly if you like South Asian food.

Wow that sounds fun too.  So much to do and so little time.

I have a different suggestion. Yes, Premier Inn and their ilk will be "fine" but the prices are often higher than they should be, even for a budget chain, because the brand is so recognisable many will just book it without researching options!

My suggestion is to use the "Top Secret Hotels" option on Last Minute.com - This option lets you book high quality hotels, often 5 star, for the cost of budget hotels, the only catch being you dont get the name of the hotel until you book, but you DO get a fair description and location of the hotel so it's often easy to figure out.

I once got a room at the Guoman Tower Hotel (5 star) right by the Tower of London for £30!

14 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Is there any area to avoid booking a hotel in?😬

London is a large city, with several areas perhaps best avoided when it’s less busy. Much like any other city. Impossible to narrow it down really, because those areas can be quite small, yet close to perfectly safe areas.

Tripadvisor reviews are usually helpful on this, though, and areas change. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I have a different suggestion. Yes, Premier Inn and their ilk will be "fine" but the prices are often higher than they should be, even for a budget chain, because the brand is so recognisable many will just book it without researching options!

My suggestion is to use the "Top Secret Hotels" option on Last Minute.com - This option lets you book high quality hotels, often 5 star, for the cost of budget hotels, the only catch being you dont get the name of the hotel until you book, but you DO get a fair description and location of the hotel so it's often easy to figure out.

I once got a room at the Guoman Tower Hotel (5 star) right by the Tower of London for £30!

Good suggestion.  There’s also a little trick which sometimes helps identify the hotel - copy and paste extracts from the description into Google.

14 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Is there any area to avoid booking a hotel in?😬

I can think of no areas within the blue dotted line that you need to avoid. 

And  there are plenty of areas outside that line which are fine - even excellent - but perhaps not as convenient. Quote any area or hotel which interest you and we can put our four eggs in.

https://goo.gl/maps/FvvG4w9hPrhrQRGS9

But as with cities worldwide, even in the nicest areas, you need to be aware, but not paranoid. Daytime scammers & pickpockets, evenings stick to areas with plenty of people, late night play safe & take a cab.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2021 at 3:45 PM, Thejuggler said:

Looking at the location of the Hampton Waterloo I'd personally want to be somewhere busier in November.

It will be dark by about 4pm and the weather can be miserable.

We are also planning to book the Hampton Waterloo