Princess Vacation Protection

I called Princess today to ask about the Cancel for any Reason benefit associated with their Princess Vacation Protection Plan. My question was with regards to the possibility of having to cancel my March 2022 cruise after final payment and if I was issued Future Cruise Credits as a result. I wanted to know when the credits would expire. I was told that they didn't know since they couldn't predict the future. When I said that was not an answer that gives peace of mind (as suggested by their advertising), I was told that currently all FCC expires in Dec 2022. She thought that FCC issued next year might be valid for 2 years, but that wasn't guaranteed. When I said that wasn't really acceptable -- paying for something without knowing the product, she said that the expiry date can sometimes be extended, i.e., by booking a cruise past the expiry dated.

I am a Canadian and have not yet found insurance that covers cancellation for covid or cancellation for any reason. I thought the plan from Princess might work, but now I'm not so sure. Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

I don’t know anything about insurance for Canadian citizens, but I do know that the Princess CFAR provision is not insurance. It is a goodwill gesture extended to guests who buy their cruise-line branded insurance product. You are not really paying for CFAR because it is separate from the insurance policy which is underwritten and administered by others. Princess is simply giving you a voucher, not cash, for something you have already paid for. No loss to them. No loss to you as long as you can use it in the allotted time.

Princess sets the rules for how they issue and apply those vouchers (FCC). I am not be surprised if they are noncommittal at this time. They already have a lot of FCC’s out that are yet to be redeemed, and I expect that they have to determine the effect of that as cruising resumes before they can decide how generous they can be with future cancellations under the CFAR provision.

If there is a strong likelihood that you wii have to cancel for a reason not covered under the provisions for full reimbursement, your choices are to cancel before final payment or to accept the terms in place for the FCC when you do cancel.