Seabourn not accepting UK passport holders for the next three cruises?

SLSD

48 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I am on a couple of Seabourn Facebook groups and it is a lot like Cruise Critic in that people are Seabourn cruisers and booking cruises and concerned about all the details.  I have no reason to doubt the information.  I shared it because I thought it was important.  

I always prefer to verify the source. I understand lots of people like Facebook but I have seen too many cases where rumours run rife as fact. Happens on here as well so always better to check that they verify with a link to something official.

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

This is why I avoid FB because it is rife with rumours. Some may turn out to be true but many are speculation and opinion based.

One other thing about Facebook.  We all post with our real names there.  We can message each other.  I do not find the Seabourn groups on Facebook (there are two of them) to be rife with rumors.  They are a good source of information--just like this group is--where we all post under screen names and often have no idea who each other are.  

My purpose for starting this thread was to ASK for verification if anyone had any.  I still do not find an article about this specific information--but various cruisers are posting that their particular passage on SB has been cancelled.  

Edited by SLSD

Mr L,

I am delighted to hear you have made an opportunity out of this mess and you will be cruising for 20 days on Silversea Moon soon. We head over there on Sunday for 10 days so if you want to ask me something I will revert quickly.

Happy and healthy sailing!

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

One other thing about Facebook.  We all post with our real names there.  We can message each other.  I do not find the Seabourn groups on Facebook (there are two of them) to be rife with rumors.  They are a good source of information--just like this group is--where we all post under screen names and often have no idea who each other are.  

My purpose for starting this thread was to ASK for verification if anyone had any.  I still do not find an article about this specific information--but various cruisers are posting that their particular passage on SB has been cancelled.  

And the one Group that I know you belong to, (the one with 7000 Members)  also had lots of verification from a top British TA,  as well as many Brits who have been directly impacted by this new ruling. There are "some" people who use false names, but we do try to weed out "fakes"..... we also boast amongst our Members, the President of Seabourn, and a few other Cruise Lines, many of our Captains, Cruise Directors and Assistants, Hotel Directors, many Officers of all types, HUNDREDS of Crew Members from all Departments, plus dozens from the Seattle, Sydney and British Offices......so if anything "too untrue" was mentioned, I am sure we would be "contacted".....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

And the one Group that I know you belong to, (the one with 7000 Members)  also had lots of verification from a top British TA,  as well as many Brits who have been directly impacted by this new ruling. There are "some" people who use false names, but we do try to weed out "fakes"..... we also boast amongst our Members, the President of Seabourn, and a few other Cruise Lines, many of our Captains, Cruise Directors and Assistants, Hotel Directors, many Officers of all types, HUNDREDS of Crew Members from all Departments, plus dozens from the Seattle, Sydney and British Offices......so if anything "too untrue" was mentioned, I am sure we would be "contacted".....

We have friends who are in that group, they confirmed late last night that the information in the group yesterday came from our mutual TA, just as you say. 

The insurance situation is a mess, but it's been something we were aware of for quite some time. For shorter cruises we use our Amex Platinum with included insurance but they told us in May, and again earlier this week that the card policy does not cover for travel against government advice.

We have one last hope to try today and that is Staysure, but I spoke to them a couple of days ago and they said no. 

We have a cruise in early September on hold but have not yet paid a deposit or booked flights.

4 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

The insurance situation is a mess, but it's been something we were aware of for quite some time.

There still seems to be a few Brits who are quite sure they are covered, for Cruising,  but it will be interesting to see if they do happen to have a claim, if it would be paid out! As we all know, Insurance Companies will get out of paying out if they can find some way to manage it!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heather White said:

We confirmed our cover including cruise with Staysure within the last week.

I'll be calling them in a couple of minutes as soon as they open! 

If they now say they will cover I will ask for confirmation in writing specifically stating "covers international cruises even though current government advice is against all international cruises" . 

2 minutes ago, Heather White said:

We confirmed our cover including cruise with Staysure within the last week.

I have seen a few people say exactly what you have said, but then others who seem to get a different answer depending on who they are talking to, some have got BOTH answers......I just hope the "agent" you spoke to knows what they are selling! Seabourn aren't allowing it anyway, so its a moot point I suppose.

4 hours ago, 2seabournsailors said:

I was looking for an official statement by Seabourn--not a travel agent--and did not see that last evening.   I did see the verification by Brits directly impacted.  It is a great group and I didn't like to see it being maligned here.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Many Brits on board the Ovation right now and I have not heard an outcry.

how many Brits are onboard? I heard there were very few? Tomorrow when the next cruise starts is the beginning of the "new rules". I believe that those who are already onboard, who are doing another back to back, will be allowed to continue. New people (Brits) wont be allowed to join.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Many Brits on board the Ovation right now and I have not heard an outcry.

People who are already on their cruise can remain on board, Seabourn clarified that yesterday, applies to B2B also.   I assume they checked their insurance before leaving the UK or they decided they  were happy to travel without it. Or they may not even have been aware of the FCDO notice.

Edited by Isklaar

2 hours ago, Isklaar said:

People who are already on their cruise can remain on board, Seabourn clarified that yesterday, applies to B2B also.   I assume they checked their insurance before leaving the UK or they decided they  were happy to travel without it. Or they may not even have been aware of the FCDO notice.

Isklaar, if you joined the FB group, we could message directly.  I would like that--you are have always been such a good source of information and opinions here.  I would like to continue that conversation.  

My concern is that with the variant on the rise in the US, our government may echo the UK government directive.  Then, where would SB be?  Without UK, US, or Australians onboard, they would effectively be shut down again.  Maybe I am just a nervous Nellie.  Surely, things will improve soon.  I'm also reading that Pfizer plans to file for approval of a booster to combat the Delta variant.  

6 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Isklaar, if you joined the FB group, we could message directly.  I would like that--you are have always been such a good source of information and opinions here.  I would like to continue that conversation.  

My concern is that with the variant on the rise in the US, our government may echo the UK government directive.  Then, where would SB be?  Without UK, US, or Australians onboard, they would effectively be shut down again.  Maybe I am just a nervous Nellie.  Surely, things will improve soon.  I'm also reading that Pfizer plans to file for approval of a booster to combat the Delta variant.  

I left FB a while ago but may be tempted back just to join the group. Our cruise friends often pass helpful information to us that they picked up in the group. If I do rejoin FB I'll let you know.

It's difficult to predict what the government will do here. I want to be optimistic and hope that the restriction on cruising will be lifted soon. But I'm afraid instead that my glass is half full.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I left FB a while ago but may be tempted back just to join the group. Our cruise friends often pass helpful information to us that they picked up in the group. If I do rejoin FB I'll let you know.

It's difficult to predict what the government will do here. I want to be optimistic and hope that the restriction on cruising will be lifted soon. But I'm afraid instead that my glass is half full.

That would be fun.  I understand reluctance some have about FB.  For me, it is all about carefully curating your friends list.  When you join a group, that does not mean you are friends with all of those people.  I belong to several art related groups and have also enjoyed them immensely.  The SB groups are quite lively and include a lot of photographs which I have enjoyed, not to mention information about Seabourn.  I believe (but am not positive)  the admin of one of the groups also posts here.  She does a really good job.

Meanwhile Los Angeles County is reinstating the mask mandate.  I've read that the state of Arkansas is rife with the variant.  I think we all have reasons to be concerned.  This is not keeping us from leading a reasonable life--but we want to get back to cruising!   

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bad Company said:

We’re U.K. passport holders.  We bought our insurance through Staysure paying extra for the travel against FCDO advice and cruises.

We’re apparently ok to board Ovation tomorrow as we’re already in Greece.

I am so glad that SB is going to let those in transit board.  This is such good news. 

• Like 1

Official response from Seabourn:-

Hi Barry - We look forward to welcoming you on board Seabourn Ovation and hope you have a wonderful time. We’re happy to allow you to board since you were already in transit to the ship.

Seabourn has reviewed its policies for United Kingdom (UK) citizens scheduled to sail on its ships while the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office ("FCDO") maintains its current advice on international cruise travel and develops broad plans to allow for the resumption of international travel. 

To support the current FCDO advice while it remains in place, UK guests will be deferred from sailing on Seabourn ships through August 14, 2021. This decision will affect guests booked on Seabourn Ovation Greek Islands cruises from Athens (Piraeus) and Seabourn Odyssey Caribbean cruises from Barbados.

We had anticipated that the current FCDO guidance on international cruise travel would have been lifted by now and we await a positive update in that regard. Until that time comes, we continue to work closely with the UK government to have the advisory lifted and believe that will happen very soon. 

• Like 2