Canada aiming to allow vaccinated Americans into country by mid-August

Canada aiming to allow vaccinated Americans into country by mid-August: PM to premiers - NEWS 1130 (citynews1130.com)

TLDR

> if the current vaccination rate remains on its current trajectory, fully vaccinated travellers from around the world could be arriving by early September

> Canada is leading the G20 in vaccination rates: 80 per cent of eligible Canadians have had a first dose and more than half are fully vaccinated.

• 1 month later...

Hello 

I was watching Youtube and saw a banner at the top saying Canada is now open. Welcoming you to visit. Specifically it did not say who , or what countries were welcome or if cruises were allowed to enter , I am trying to get clarification. I am going to Alaska next August and Victoria is a stop . Thank you in advance. 

There are a lot of pieces to reopening Canada to tourists.  Things are constantly in flux that I'm having a hard time keeping up.  But if I err on some of the info below, I'm sure someone will chime in to correct it.  😀

In July, the borders were re-open to fully vaccinated Americans.

In early September, the borders were open to fully vaccinated travellers from all other countries.  The government is currently still banning direct flights from some countries (ie India) though.

In both cases, there are additional conditions:

• Have to be fully vaccinated with approved vaccines by Health Canada (AZ, Pfizer, Moderna, & J&J with mixed vaccination recognized)
  • Travellers also have to provide a negative covid test taken withing 72hrs of arrival.  Note only certain types of tests are allowed I think.
  • The vaccination info needs to be filled into the ArriveCAN app/portal prior to arrival.
  • Some travellers will be selected for random testing upon arrival (no fee).

The above allows travellers to skip quarantine and not have to take a covid test upon arrival, unless they are randomly selected.  Non-fully vaccinated travellers will still have to quarantine and test upon arrival.

Cruise ships are still prohibited in Canadian waters but that reopening was moved up to Nov 2021 from Feb 2022.

Once in Canada, certain provinces, like BC, have recently started to temporarily implement vaccine passports to do certain things like eat in a restaurant.  In BC, international travellers need to show their proof of vaccination used to enter Canada and their passport.  However, I don't think it will still be in place by next summer as it was put in place as a prevemptive measure with delta and people doing more indoor activities as we head into the fall/winter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...