Is balcony on a fall trans Atlantic with the cost

I'm thinking of switching our inside for a balcony due to price drop. Our trans Atlantic cruise departs Southampton this Nov. 3. We have 4 ports & 10 sea days. For those who've done fall trans Atlantics in a balcony were you able to use your balcony often enough for it to be worth the extra cost? Thank you for any info & input.

In our opinions, a balcony is always worth it. However, we are from a milder climate than

you, so we use our balcony quite a bit. Typically, we book aft balconies (the larger ones like on Baja deck, etc.) and love them with the sound and view of the wake.

• Like 1

We always feel a balcony is worth it. We love to keep the drapes open day and night. Enjoy the full wall of light and peaceful views of the ocean. Our preference for balcony cabins is not about balcony use. Even though you have been fully vaccinated during the covid era there is always the possibility you could be confined to your cabin, testing positive or being part of the contact tracing group that was near someone that tested positive. Would not enjoy being confined in an inside cabin.

The fall crossing  to Ft. Lauderdale is more southern and can have some warmer days. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1965 said:

$1149 pp for 14 days. That's $200 more pp than we're paying for our inside. 

Only $200 extra pp for 14 days of balcony state room use.  For that I would take the upgrade.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Only $200 extra pp for 14 days of balcony state room use.  For that I would take the upgrade.

I would take the upgrade for that increase. We have done fall crossings - sometimes the weather has been mild enough to sit outside other times we have just enjoyed the sun from in the cabin.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, voljeep said:

but, how much was the inside after the price drop, if you choose to refare that cabin , to get a true(r) picture of the difference

Our inside dropped from $949 to $809.  I'm a little conflicted because that is a fantastic price. But I'm thinking I may never again get such a good price for a balcony. We're retired public school teachers on a very careful travel budget, so have only had one balcony cabin 2 yrs ago on an inside passage cruise. I'd love to surprise my DH with a balcony. 😊

• Like 2

do it - you had already committed to the 949 ... and keep monitoring those prices for another price drop.

EDIT : and take care of the REGAL for us ... we'll be boarding a couple of weeks after you bring her over

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

do it - you had already committed to the 949 ... and keep monitoring those prices for another price drop.

EDIT : and take care of the REGAL for us ... we'll be boarding a couple of weeks after you bring her over

Just a thought- Brits cannot take foreign cruises at present. Unless that changes, Princess may decide to bring the ship back early,  rather than do a TA cruise with just a handful of passengers.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I assume you know that you need a port cabin. A starboard balcony cabin is a waste of money for an East - West trip. 

I know nothing about such things. This will be our 22nd cruise. 19 of those have been in an inside. What is the advantage of a port cabin for an east-west cruise? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

This statement is ridiculous

Agreed - that statement is totally ridiculous.  Maybe what the poster is trying to say is travelling East to West, a port side balcony may be sunnier than a Starbord side balcony.  Just maybe!!

• Like 2

So the real difference is $340 more pp. I'd probably pass on that. We've taken both of our transatlantic cruises in inside cabins. DH wasn't sure about it when I booked, but we had a great time. BTW, I was quarantined in an inside cabin on another cruise for three days. I was grateful that I had unlimited internet and that my ship had the new interactive Princess televisions with lots of movies and shows to watch.

45 minutes ago, racj846 said:

Agreed - that statement is totally ridiculous.  Maybe what the poster is trying to say is travelling East to West, a port side balcony may be sunnier than a Starbord side balcony.  Just maybe!!

So a port side balcony would be worse for aging your skin.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I assume you know that you need a port cabin. A starboard balcony cabin is a waste of money for an East - West trip. 

Yep, POSH, Port Out and Starboard Home. (From England) This holds for East to West and North to South.

This gives you the sun on cool Atlantic crossings and shade in hot Tropical crossings.

This is a secret I usually keep to myself, I don't want the good cabins booked ahead of me. 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1965 said:

Our inside dropped from $949 to $809.  I'm a little conflicted because that is a fantastic price. But I'm thinking I may never again get such a good price for a balcony. We're retired public school teachers on a very careful travel budget, so have only had one balcony cabin 2 yrs ago on an inside passage cruise. I'd love to surprise my DH with a balcony. 😊

Surprise him!  You both will  be glad you did.  We've done 4 west bound Fall transatlantics and have enjoyed our balcony cabin on all of them.  Of course there will be times that you may not be able to get out on your balcony but hey, that happens even in the Caribbean.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, lucyandricky said:

Surprise him!  You both will  be glad you did.  We've done 4 west bound Fall transatlantics and have enjoyed our balcony cabin on all of them.  Of course there will be times that you may not be able to get out on your balcony but hey, that happens even in the Caribbean.

I did it! 😁

• Like 11

4 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Yep, POSH, Port Out and Starboard Home. (From England) This holds for East to West and North to South.

This gives you the sun on cool Atlantic crossings and shade in hot Tropical crossings.

This is a secret I usually keep to myself, I don't want the good cabins booked ahead of me. 😁

Good to know. This will be a guarantee cabin of their choosing, so fingers crossed. I know we'll love it regardless. 😁

• Like 2