Is balcony on a fall trans Atlantic with the cost

3 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

You will love your balcony cabin. We always take one aft as we did for our TA from Barcelona a few years ago. We do sit outside unless it rains or there is a very strong breeze. Enjoy!

Thanks! 😊

To answer your question regarding usage of a balcony, we had a southern route with reasonable temperatures and still did not use the balcony much, if any.  A little too breezy to be completely comfortable and nothing but empty ocean to look at.

7 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

To answer your question regarding usage of a balcony, we had a southern route with reasonable temperatures and still did not use the balcony much, if any.  A little too breezy to be completely comfortable and nothing but empty ocean to look at.

Mmm... Beautiful empty ocean, and the stars... Sooooo relaxing, so perfect! 😍

• Like 8

We saw the northern lights from our balcony on the Crown Princess TA. This was early September on our crossing to NY. Very lucky leaving Iceland and we would not have had this experience without the balcony.

• Like 3

Everyone on this thread who have done TA crossing are lucky.  My wife will do two sea days max.  She will never agree to three or more sea days.  To the OP; have fun with your balcony.  Cheers

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

nothing but empty ocean to look at.

For us this view is wonderful, peaceful and and one of the top reasons we enjoyed a cruise. For most itineraries sea day views are almost always of the ocean.  Everyone looks at things differently.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, john1970 said:

We saw the northern lights from our balcony on the Crown Princess TA. This was early September on our crossing to NY. Very lucky leaving Iceland and we would not have had this experience without the balcony.

Oh my goodness! How wonderful! ♡

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Everyone on this thread who have done TA crossing are lucky.  My wife will do two sea days max.  She will never agree to three or more sea days.  To the OP; have fun with your balcony.  Cheers

I feel really fortunate that we both enjoy sea days. Pre pandemic we tried to take a TA every fall. I'm sure hoping to resume that tradition. 😊

1 hour ago, skynight said:

For us this view is wonderful, peaceful and and one of the top reasons we enjoyed a cruise. For most itineraries sea day views are almost always of the ocean.  Everyone looks at things differently.

I cannot wait to relax with a latte or some such beverage & watch the ocean on my own personal balcony, even if it's small. 😊

• Like 1

Our first balcony was on a Mexican Riviera cruise; we diverted due to Hurricane Otis; we sat on our balcony, wrapped in a blanket drinking Bailey's and coffee watching some beautiful lightning in the not-so-far distance; you could smell the electricity in the air. Having our own balcony instead of being on the upper decks with everyone made it surreal. 😄

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jwattle said:

Our first balcony was on a Mexican Riviera cruise; we diverted due to Hurricane Otis; we sat on our balcony, wrapped in a blanket drinking Bailey's and coffee watching some beautiful lightning in the not-so-far distance; you could smell the electricity in the air. Having our own balcony instead of being on the upper decks with everyone made it surreal. 😄

I would love an experience like that. ♡

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1965 said:

I would love an experience like that. ♡

Since you first posted about your balcony upgrade, we've been reminiscing about everything balcony that we love: everything from the quiet times gazing at the water, morning, afternoon, night; reading quietly; sharing a breakfast; having the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (do it, it's AMAZING!); looking at sea life. Anyway, sea days or port days...balconies are a favorite of ours, no matter the time or the weather! Also, once yours is assigned, and you see the category, check back in; we can all help with input on the location, and if there is a more favorable location. Once you're assigned, you can always request a move within that category if it's available! 😊

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jwattle said:

Since you first posted about your balcony upgrade, we've been reminiscing about everything balcony that we love: everything from the quiet times gazing at the water, morning, afternoon, night; reading quietly; sharing a breakfast; having the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (do it, it's AMAZING!); looking at sea life. Anyway, sea days or port days...balconies are a favorite of ours, no matter the time or the weather! Also, once yours is assigned, and you see the category, check back in; we can all help with input on the location, and if there is a more favorable location. Once you're assigned, you can always request a move within that category if it's available! 😊

Agree, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is amazing!!  Highly recommend the experience........

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 4:05 PM, 1965 said:

Our inside dropped from $949 to $809.  I'm a little conflicted because that is a fantastic price. But I'm thinking I may never again get such a good price for a balcony. We're retired public school teachers on a very careful travel budget, so have only had one balcony cabin 2 yrs ago on an inside passage cruise. I'd love to surprise my DH with a balcony. 😊

DO IT! For that little price increase you will have:

1. The option of using the balcony - a large picture window or open area retreat

2. If the weather is nice, you can sit outside for morning coffee and watch the wake. On a TA I strongly suspect your itinerary will not be restricted to the north Atlantic (unless it's on Cunard?)

3. If the worse happens and your get quarantined, you will be very thankful to have some fresh air!

Glad you were offered that great price! 😎

Doug

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jwattle said:

I had booked a forward gty cabin because it was cheapest & I'm always mindful of cost. But I decided to throw $40 more into the pot & changed to an aft. We're in M710 on the Regal. We like being on or near Lido. I'm fine with it being on port side. So far DH has no idea we'll have a balcony. 😁

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

DO IT! For that little price increase you will have:

1. The option of using the balcony - a large picture window or open area retreat

2. If the weather is nice, you can sit outside for morning coffee and watch the wake. On a TA I strongly suspect your itinerary will not be restricted to the north Atlantic (unless it's on Cunard?)

3. If the worse happens and your get quarantined, you will be very thankful to have some fresh air!

Glad you were offered that great price! 😎

Doug

The cruise is Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale so the weather will get increasingly warmer. This will be our very 1st cruise as elite. I'm exchanging our mini bar for the coffee pkgs so I'm now day dreaming about sipping specialty coffees on my balcony. I'm trying not to think about the increasing covid concerns, especially the current situation in England. By Nov. things will hopefully be fine. 🤞

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 7:34 AM, AF-1 said:

We are just the opposite - the more sea days the better!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, 1965 said:

The cruise is Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale so the weather will get increasingly warmer. This will be our very 1st cruise as elite. I'm exchanging our mini bar for the coffee pkgs so I'm now day dreaming about sipping specialty coffees on my balcony. I'm trying not to think about the increasing covid concerns, especially the current situation in England. By Nov. things will hopefully be fine. 🤞

You and I and millions of others hope that!

Just having our coffee and drinks on the balcony the first day  makes the extra cost of a balcony cabin work it; I think I've said that on every cruise where we had a balcony. 😎

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We are just the opposite - the more sea days the better!

I hear what you're saying.  I would love to do west coast to Hawaii; won't happen.  Oh well there are other cruises that don't have a lot of sea days.

Not sure what the extra cost would be for you, but I cannot imagine doing an inside cabin on a transatlantic.  Ours was not out of Southampton, but we came from across the lower part out of the Mediterranean and it was amazing weather the entire sailing across.  Ours was at the end of November.  You have to do what makes sense for you though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I hear what you're saying.  I would love to do west coast to Hawaii; won't happen.  Oh well there are other cruises that don't have a lot of sea days.

Gonna have to 'adjust' your wife....or your desires for sea days. It's probably wiser to go with the second option I suppose. 😉

Doug

We typically book insides, but I've sailed in cabins up to penthouses. For $200, I'd take the upgrade, but be aware that your balcony may be in the shade and that the breeze and misty air (those ships are going fast!) may not be too pleasant. We had a balcony on our first TA and only used it one out of the sixteen days.

37 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Gonna have to 'adjust' your wife....or your desires for sea days. It's probably wiser to go with the second option I suppose. 😉

Doug

My wife wears seasick bands, wears the patch behind her ear, she cannot take rocking and rolling on the high seas.  No big deal.  We sail a lot in the Mediterranean where its calm seas.  Going across the Atlantic or Pacific oceans for five days is too much for her.  It's all good.

31 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We typically book insides, but I've sailed in cabins up to penthouses. For $200, I'd take the upgrade, but be aware that your balcony may be in the shade and that the breeze and misty air (those ships are going fast!) may not be too pleasant. We had a balcony on our first TA and only used it one out of the sixteen days.

Did you have severe weather?  I sit on my balcony just to relax and enjoy life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

My wife wears seasick bands, wears the patch behind her ear, she cannot take rocking and rolling on the high seas.  No big deal.  We sail a lot in the Mediterranean where its calm seas.  Going across the Atlantic or Pacific oceans for five days is too much for her.  It's all good.

Gotta take care of the wife! I agree with your decision 100%. 😎

I assume your also cruise in the Caribbean? Or perhaps you are not in the USA and that's a big expense. I've only had 2 our of maybe 36 Caribbeans cruises where we felt significant wave action.