Is balcony on a fall trans Atlantic with the cost

3 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Gotta take care of the wife! I agree with your decision 100%. 😎

I assume your also cruise in the Caribbean? Or perhaps you are not in the USA and that's a big expense. I've only had 2 our of maybe 36 Caribbeans cruises where we felt significant wave action.

I live in Cincinnati, OH. (Go Reds), My church youth group is in Memphis this week.  Anyway, We have been to the Caribbean about six times.  Most of those cruises were calm.  We adjust.  We're going to Cabo out of San Pedro in Oct.  Cheers

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, wowzz said:

I assume you know that you need a port cabin. A starboard balcony cabin is a waste of money for an East - West trip. 

We just booked our very first TA for Fall, 2023, and port for East - West was our first consideration.  A mini-suite for less than $200 more than a balcony was a close second.

25 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We just booked our very first TA for Fall, 2023, and port for East - West was our first consideration.  A mini-suite for less than $200 more than a balcony was a close second.

I don't know which category of balcony you have, but unless it is a deluxe I would seriously consider the minisuite for an extra $200.  There is a lot more room and actual places to sit as compared to a standard balcony cabin.

3 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I don't know which category of balcony you have, but unless it is a deluxe I would seriously consider the minisuite for an extra $200.  There is a lot more room and actual places to sit as compared to a standard balcony cabin.

We absolutely did.  Couldn't see any reason to pass up the extra space for such a small cost.

Just now, cltnccruisers said:

We absolutely did.  Couldn't see any reason to pass up the extra space for such a small cost.

Oh good! I have only sailed in a minisuite once and that was also for a TA... Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen.  I want to say it was about $1800 pp for 16 days on Emerald Princess.  And it was the aft-most one on Emerald Deck which is twice the size, but uncovered so not very usable on the Atlantic in early May!

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We had a balcony on our first TA and only used it one out of the sixteen days.

The problem is the OP does not have Ocean View as a third option. For us having the balcony door open, sea view and fresh air is important - we don't often sit on balcony for long periods, but while in the cabin like to have the door open.

3 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

The problem is the OP does not have Ocean View as a third option. For us having the balcony door open, sea view and fresh air is important - we don't often sit on balcony for long periods, but while in the cabin like to have the door open.

And the sound of the wake if you're at or near the stern....

21 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Oh good! I have only sailed in a minisuite once and that was also for a TA... Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen.  I want to say it was about $1800 pp for 16 days on Emerald Princess.  And it was the aft-most one on Emerald Deck which is twice the size, but uncovered so not very usable on the Atlantic in early May!

We haven't done a mini-suite yet.  We're on Sky in November, 2021, in balcony for a Western Caribbean.  Our first mini-suite will be March, 2022, on a twice rescheduled family Eastern Caribbean.  It will be us, 2 daughters, 2 granddaughters, 1 boyfriend and the potential for one more.  Originally in balconies then COVID hit and the cancellations started.  Number going increased and with FCC we were able to reconfigure to the mini-suites.  Cyndi, our Princess Consultant, was an absolute Godsend for this - there's no way I'd have tried it on my own. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I live in Cincinnati, OH. (Go Reds), My church youth group is in Memphis this week.  Anyway, We have been to the Caribbean about six times.  Most of those cruises were calm.  We adjust.  We're going to Cabo out of San Pedro in Oct.  Cheers

We're going to Cabo and other ports out of SAN in February 2022. Hope we each have a smooth sail!

On 7/21/2021 at 8:22 AM, AF-1 said:

Did you have severe weather?  I sit on my balcony just to relax and enjoy life.

Most of the 16 days on the Atlantic Ocean were like glass. That wasn't true in the Med. On the Atlantic, it was like having sea mist blown on you constantly. I think the position of a cabin makes a huge difference.  

8 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Most of the 16 days on the Atlantic Ocean were like glass. That wasn't true in the Med. On the Atlantic, it was like having sea mist blown on you constantly. I think the position of a cabin makes a huge difference.  

My last four cruise have been either all the way forward or all the way aft.  Aft is better than forward in my opinion.  Cheers

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 5:20 AM, AF-1 said:

My wife wears seasick bands, wears the patch behind her ear, she cannot take rocking and rolling on the high seas.  No big deal.  We sail a lot in the Mediterranean where its calm seas.  Going across the Atlantic or Pacific oceans for five days is too much for her.  It's all good.

I get seasick. Horribly seasick. With the patch I've been fine in weather where they closed the outer decks, the ship was rock and rolling, and many of the "iron stomach" folks retreated to their cabins for a bit of a lie down. I ate at the Bayou Cafe. Had a great Steak and Lobster dinner. Felt just fine. I love my patch...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I get seasick. Horribly seasick. With the patch I've been fine in weather where they closed the outer decks, the ship was rock and rolling, and many of the "iron stomach" folks retreated to their cabins for a bit of a lie down. I ate at the Bayou Cafe. Had a great Steak and Lobster dinner. Felt just fine. I love my patch...

Hey, how about sharing some facts on your wonderful patches! 😎

Got a brand name, etc?

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

The patch works well.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Have a great weekend

6 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Hey, how about sharing some facts on your wonderful patches! 😎

Got a brand name, etc?

Transderm Scop

The patch looks like a small round Band-Aid. It goes behind the ear and last for 3 days. After three days you switch and put the new one behind the other ear. In the US it's by prescription only. In Canada you can ask for it over the counter.

38 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Transderm Scop

The patch looks like a small round Band-Aid. It goes behind the ear and last for 3 days. After three days you switch and put the new one behind the other ear. In the US it's by prescription only. In Canada you can ask for it over the counter.

Thanks, Thrak...<that's a tongue twister>

I will look for that. Thirty years ago when we started cruising my wife used to occasionally get a little sea sickness. I never did; 27 years in Navy aircraft rid me of that; or I thought! But about 5 years ago we have switched places, she loved the sea's motion, and I usually do also, but I do get to feeling a little "uncomfortable" after several hours of rough weather. Ordinarily I'd not consider using anything for my discomfort, but there is a transAtlantic cruise coming up next year. It's one of the fun things about old age: Woman become more like men, and men more like women!😳

Doug

On 7/21/2021 at 5:20 AM, AF-1 said:

My wife wears seasick bands, wears the patch behind her ear, she cannot take rocking and rolling on the high seas.  No big deal.  We sail a lot in the Mediterranean where its calm seas.  Going across the Atlantic or Pacific oceans for five days is too much for her.  It's all good.

Seasickness...not good (understated).  Even short trips can have choppy seas....ginger may help.    DW often feels seasick right out of port.  She tried various drugs (knocked her out), wrist bands (spotty performance, on edge waiting for choppy seas), ear patch (failed).  The only thing that works for her is ginger.  We ask for some from the buffet where we've gotten as much as a bowl of shredded ginger (goes in our fridge).  She starts nibbling it right away, tapers her intake, then drops it couple of days out.  The ginger helps her cope early on, then her sea legs take hold and she feels unfazed by the chops thereafter.  We also bring ginger pills for backup though she likes to savor fresh.  Hope she can find a remedy for sea days.

4 minutes ago, CAZephyr said:

Seasickness...not good (understated).  Even short trips can have choppy seas....ginger may help.    DW often feels seasick right out of port.  She tried various drugs (knocked her out), wrist bands (spotty performance, on edge waiting for choppy seas), ear patch (failed).  The only thing that works for her is ginger.  We ask for some from the buffet where we've gotten as much as a bowl of shredded ginger (goes in our fridge).  She starts nibbling it right away, tapers her intake, then drops it couple of days out.  The ginger helps her cope early on, then her sea legs take hold and she feels unfazed by the chops thereafter.  We also bring ginger pills for backup though she likes to savor fresh.  Hope she can find a remedy for sea days.

We got Ginger Candy from Trader Joe's very strong ginger taste. Too strong to eat as regular candy. Only had to use it once but seemed to work,

1 hour ago, dog said:

Like aft facing balcony the best 

I get those when I can but they seem to be in short supply with newer ships and the Island refit which is the TA I’m doing next year. I did get us a port balcony with a wake view from the side. 

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

We got Ginger Candy from Trader Joe's very strong ginger taste. Too strong to eat as regular candy. Only had to use it once but seemed to work,

I get the Ginger Chews from Trader Joe's but just keep a bag on the table next to my chair in the living room. Love those things. 😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CAZephyr said:

Thanks a lot for the ginger tip.  Have a wonderful weekend

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

I get the Ginger Chews from Trader Joe's but just keep a bag on the table next to my chair in the living room. Love those things. 😁

Good info;  thanks