Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs

34 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Not to accept the mix of Pfizer/Moderna is even more stupid. But over here and in Canada it´s AstraZenca and Pfizer/Moderna. So it´s technically two different ones. But according to all studies it´s even the better way to get immunized.

steamboats

Here (in Canada) it's actually both.  Most people who got their first dose of AZ could have chosen a second AZ dose (there was probably some variation by province), but were quite strongly encouraged to opt for an mRNA vaccine, because of both the studies you've referenced and clotting concerns.

On top of that, because of the way our supplies came in (steady Pfizer for months, followed by a huge Moderna supply all at once when the US started allowing exports), many, many people are getting mixed mRNA doses.  In some places people have been given the option to wait for a dose of their choice.  In others, including my city, you have no way of knowing what you'll get until it's about to go into your arm, and your only option at that point is to refuse and play the appointment lottery again.  Which is frowned upon, for obvious reasons.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, gdy0354 said:

What is the policy if one had bad reaction to first vaccination and Dr. writes a letter that says he does not recommend the second dose. Would he be eligible to cruise on RCCL? 

I wish all unvaccinated would not cruise…another option would be that Royal had at least used the protocols that Celebrity is using. 

I'm vaccinated with Astrazenica and Moderna as per recommended by our government.  We sail on the Aug. 22 Allure.  I had already filled out their form saying that I was fully vaccinated, now I'm considered as not.  Now I have to pay for tests and insurance which I technically don't need.  I'm pissed right now.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gam888 said:

We are booked on the Adventure of the Seas sailing in July. I called RCI and they say that we will be put in the unvaccinated group since we had mixed doses. The venues on the ships will have different times when the vaccinated group or the unvaccinated group can go, so they are kept separated.  I think we would have to wear masks indoor as well being in the unvaccinated group. So that is making this cruise a lot less attractive now. We have to think about if we still want to go or not. Also RCI is giving an Antigen test on the second last day of the cruise before we get off, so we can return to Canada. But according to the Canadian Govt's website, they don't accept Antigen test. So I have no idea how we are supposed to get a PCR test somewhere in the Bahamas during the cruise, since we are getting off the cruise and flying back to Canada on the same day. So this is getting a lot more complicated now.

I’m sorry to read this.  Unfortunately it seems as though the chances of going are more limited every day. 

1 hour ago, gdy0354 said:

What is the policy if one had bad reaction to first vaccination and Dr. writes a letter that says he does not recommend the second dose. Would he be eligible to cruise on RCCL? 

I wrote to Special Needs asking a question very similar to this and never got a response.

• Haha 1

If the cruise lines changed their policy on mixed vaccine dosing after you've booked your cruise, will they refund your deposit or fare paid? Some people must be past final payment at this point. Not sure that I'd be willing to take a FCC that must be used within the year the way things are changing.

23 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

I'm vaccinated with Astrazenica and Moderna as per recommended by our government.  We sail on the Aug. 22 Allure.  I had already filled out their form saying that I was fully vaccinated, now I'm considered as not.  Now I have to pay for tests and insurance which I technically don't need.  I'm pissed right now.

Given the situation you should be able too cancel for a full refund if you want to.

I wouldn’t say ‘corrupt’ or even use clueless….I believe my government on this topic because who are we suppose to believe?  We believe the scientists and we were told that mixing vaccines gave us an even stronger immune response. I heard that over and over again, and I know that just because something is said repeatedly doesn’t make it true.  The people saying it are trustworthy so we believe it.  
What is the CDC basing their decision on?  I hope this hasn’t become a political issue!

There are other options for travel and vacation for sure.  I would like to hear the basis of fact from the CDC.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

If the cruise lines changed their policy on mixed vaccine dosing after you've booked your cruise, will they refund your deposit or fare paid? Some people must be past final payment at this point. Not sure that I'd be willing to take a FCC that must be used within the year the way things are changing.

Yes they have been allowing refunds.  They have also been allowing a refund of an FCC if one had been applied to the booking

10 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

What is the CDC basing their decision on?  I hope this hasn’t become a political issue!

There are other options for travel and vacation for sure.  I would like to hear the basis of fact from the CDC.  

I agree with you.  seems like they are making it up to keep mixed doses cruisers of the ship. 

The CDC has no idea about mixed doses because they had unlimited supply of vaccines at hand compared to other countries. No need to do a study because they would never have had to consider mixing them. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

NOTE: Guests who have used mixed vaccination protocols will not be considered fully vaccinated (i.e. 1 dose Pfizer + 1 dose Moderna, or 1 dose AstraZeneca + 1 dose Pfizer, etc.). To be considered fully vaccinated, a guest must have received all doses of one accepted vaccine. Otherwise, a guest will be considered unvaccinated. This is now on the RCI website 

What Vaccines are Accepted

I wrote to the Bahamas Govt 4 days ago and they replied that mixed vaccines people are considered fully vaccinated. I checked on their website today and I don't see the notation that they don't consider mixed vaccine people Not fully vaccinated. So could they have changed it a couple of times? Everything is so fluid and change constantly, it's so unpredictable. 

26 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Get in line....but don't hold your breath.  Nothing has been well supported/documented.....the CDC is just a political organization making policy based which way the winds are blowing.  It isn't supposed to be like that....but it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I blame corrupt/clueless governments for that…

Of course. I mean, there is no possible way it could be because of the private sectors inability to meet the demand...despite all the government funding.....

Do I need the sarcasm flag?

There have been official studies in Europe proofing that mixing AstraZeneca (first shot) and Moderna or Pfizer (second shot) provides the highest percentage of immunization. In any case much higher than two times AstrZeneca. This is why countries like Germany now do this mix on purpose. Everyone with first shot AstraZeneca will get second one with Moderna/Pfizer.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

There have been official studies in Europe proofing that mixing AstraZeneca (first shot) and Moderna or Pfizer (second shot) provides the highest percentage of immunization. In any case much higher than two times AstrZeneca. This is why countries like Germany now do this mix on purpose. Everyone with first shot AstraZeneca will get second one with Moderna/Pfizer.

I too have read this. However, why would the CDC ever consider looking at this if doses never needed to be mixed in the States. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

12 minutes ago, gam888 said:

I wrote to the Bahamas Govt 4 days ago and they replied that mixed vaccines people are considered fully vaccinated. I checked on their website today and I don't see the notation that they don't consider mixed vaccine people Not fully vaccinated. So could they have changed it a couple of times? Everything is so fluid and change constantly, it's so unpredictable. 

Wow, they have literally changed it *again* since I posted 8 hours ago (see screenshot in post 34).

Might have gotten more sleep last night if they'd made up their minds a few hours sooner.  Of course, it could change again.  There is now no mention of mixing doses either way.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I wouldn’t say ‘corrupt’ or even use clueless….I believe my government on this topic because who are we suppose to believe?  We believe the scientists and we were told that mixing vaccines gave us an even stronger immune response. I heard that over and over again, and I know that just because something is said repeatedly doesn’t make it true.  The people saying it are trustworthy so we believe it.  

Fact?   There are few facts in science.  The knowledge on this is evolving and if you think the scientists “know” things with 100% certainty you are giving them far too much credit.  The expectations of doctors that mixing doses is probably ok doesn’t make it so and I doubt any scientists recommended mixes doses as a way to improve immunity.  It was a political/regulation/supply/logistics issue that created different vax types for some people.  It was not because science thought it was better for you.  

Also, while future research results might suggest mixing vax shots is an appropriate method, it would be inappropriate to just assume a vaccine approach that goes against the approved recommendation has the same efficacy.  I would guess it will too, but what science believes to be the case often isn’t.  That is why valid research results are needed.  And not just one or two studies.  Research needs to replicated  and the methods need to be highly scrutinized for any credence to be given.

The said part of this pandemic is the misunderstanding of science by the general public.   

• Like 2