Florida Natives: driving question

27 south of Orlando is a different world, traffic wise, than the area of Gainesville to the Orlando area. But, the OP is not going south, but to Port Canaveral, so that's a moot point.

It's like most other GPS mapping things, BUT it is audience participation.

While driving, I see a cop. I can put in the location of that cop. It will then show up on everyone else's Waze as a warning.

Now if when you get there, the cop is gone, you need to tell everyone else also, so there is no false reporting.

It does the same for road debris, traffic accidents and construction.

It's just another pair of eyes a few miles ahead at all times.

If everyone does their part, it's very efficient

Edited by EngIceDave
dorkfinger

As a Michigan-based driver of many trips to Florida, my advice is AVOID ATLANTA. I cringe at the thought of a mid-afternoon drive through. 

We actually get off I75 in Northern Ohio and cut over to I77 to I26 to I95, even when heading to see the mouse in Orlando.  It's ~20-30 minutes longer per google, but Atlanta can easily eat up that time.

From a generic spot on I65 South of Chicago, Google is showing 16:56 hours going I75 through Atlanta, and 17:26 hours going I65 to Louisville, across to Lexington, then I75 down to Knoxville, and then I40 down through Asheville to pick up I26 to I95.   

I would do the latter in a heartbeat.  It's a more scenic drive in addition to avoiding Atlanta. 

One thing about Waze is that you have to coach it sometimes.   It probably won't offer that as an option, so you may have to put in a waypoint (set an intermediate destination in Knoxville to start it in the right direction) and then your final destination. 

I'm a Florida native now living in Atlanta(35 years). We've driven to Port Canaveral multiple times for cruises, and I want to list a couple of good tips(many already mentioned):

Absolutely use WAZE

I75 south to Florida turnpike to 528 is a good route;  that said, avoid Atlanta on a Friday after 2pm

Approaching Atlanta, take Interstate 285 west/south to get around and south of the city back onto 75.

Do NOT take Interstate 16 from Macon east to I95--there was a recent bridge problem that may or may not be repaired, causing traffic back-ups.

We usually like to spend a night east of Orlando, near the airport. There are multiple hotels from every brand and plenty of restaurant choices for the evening. When we set out in the morning, we're just about an hour from the port, so we can choose an earliest possible boarding time.

We like parking in the deck adjacent to the ship; that lets us drop off the luggage to the porters, park and head for the check-in.

Departure day is quick and easy from the deck.

What ever route you take, please enjoy your trip and your cruise!

Barb

16 hours ago, barb in ga said:

I'm a Florida native now living in Atlanta(35 years). We've driven to Port Canaveral multiple times for cruises, and I want to list a couple of good tips(many already mentioned):

Absolutely use WAZE

I75 south to Florida turnpike to 528 is a good route;  that said, avoid Atlanta on a Friday after 2pm

Approaching Atlanta, take Interstate 285 west/south to get around and south of the city back onto 75.

Do NOT take Interstate 16 from Macon east to I95--there was a recent bridge problem that may or may not be repaired, causing traffic back-ups.

We usually like to spend a night east of Orlando, near the airport. There are multiple hotels from every brand and plenty of restaurant choices for the evening. When we set out in the morning, we're just about an hour from the port, so we can choose an earliest possible boarding time.

We like parking in the deck adjacent to the ship; that lets us drop off the luggage to the porters, park and head for the check-in.

Departure day is quick and easy from the deck.

What ever route you take, please enjoy your trip and your cruise!

Barb

Excellent choices. The one about staying by the airport is a good one if you are driving. Cape Canaveral is a small island town. Not a Chilis or Outback on every corner like Orlando or most big cities. Hell, we're still getting excited over out new Starbucks (On Courtenay, barb in ga). 

Very good advice. Probably cheaper too, and just park at port

On 7/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, D C said:

As a Michigan-based driver of many trips to Florida, my advice is AVOID ATLANTA. I cringe at the thought of a mid-afternoon drive through. 

We actually get off I75 in Northern Ohio and cut over to I77 to I26 to I95, even when heading to see the mouse in Orlando.  It's ~20-30 minutes longer per google, but Atlanta can easily eat up that time.

From a generic spot on I65 South of Chicago, Google is showing 16:56 hours going I75 through Atlanta, and 17:26 hours going I65 to Louisville, across to Lexington, then I75 down to Knoxville, and then I40 down through Asheville to pick up I26 to I95.   

I would do the latter in a heartbeat.  It's a more scenic drive in addition to avoiding Atlanta. 

One thing about Waze is that you have to coach it sometimes.   It probably won't offer that as an option, so you may have to put in a waypoint (set an intermediate destination in Knoxville to start it in the right direction) and then your final destination. 

So we’re in Central Illinois, we generally would plan to take I57 and get on I-24 in Southern Illinois. We could potentially take I65 south down to Montgomery but that’s just feels really out of the way. 
I know we could potentially go down the east coast but in January that feels really sketchy.. 

On 7/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, kelkel2 said:

So we’re in Central Illinois, we generally would plan to take I57 and get on I-24 in Southern Illinois. We could potentially take I65 south down to Montgomery but that’s just feels really out of the way. 
I know we could potentially go down the east coast but in January that feels really sketchy.. 

We've driven that way too. Really not a bad drive (except for the screaming 2 year old we had at the time). Angle down to I10 from Montgomery. Several different options.  Less mountains to worry about in the winter, too. 

We've gone that way home from FL, too.  Drove along the panhandle coast to Pensacola, then turned north.