Taxi transfer from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty Cruise port

jammin6097

I am going on the October 10 Oasis of the Seas cruise out of Bayonne, NJ  and arriving at the Newark airport at 10:00am that morning.   My travel agent said that Royal Caribbean doesn't have transfers from / to the airport and the cruise port.     I would think that Taxis would be readily available at both the airport (to get to the cruise port) and at the cruise port (to get back to the airport).   What is the average taxi fare for the trip?  It looks like about 10 miles on the map.  Any other suggestions for the transfers (we have not used Uber or Lyft)?   Thanks

Despite the relatively short distance, transportation is not particularly good to Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne from Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark and Elizabeth. Only taxi and other for-hire vehicles (e.g., Uber, Lyft) are practicable (public transportation requires multiple transfers, and then does not even reach the passenger terminal in Bayonne). Figure around $50 to $60 for such a transfer. If traveling by taxi, then note that the airport is located in two different cities, so depending on from where you seek transportation you could end up in either a Newark or an Elizabeth taxi; while on the return you would use a Bayonne taxi.

I get so outraged over fares this high, knowing that a similar trip using public transportation would be so much more reasonable, but again, there's really no practicable choice, so you're stuck with such an unpalatable price. The cruise lines know this, and so their bus transfers, when offered, are similarly outrageous. The last time we traveled from Cape Liberty, we used public transportation all the way from our home in Flushing, Queens, to the 34th Street station in Bayonne (using two NYCTA subway trains, one PATH subway train, and one NJT light rail train), and then a short Uber ride the rest of the way for about eight dollars (again, too expensive for the trip length, but at least not too bad).

2 hours ago, jammin6097 said:

I am going on the October 10 Oasis of the Seas cruise out of Bayonne, NJ  and arriving at the Newark airport at 10:00am that morning.   My travel agent said that Royal Caribbean doesn't have transfers from / to the airport and the cruise port.     I would think that Taxis would be readily available at both the airport (to get to the cruise port) and at the cruise port (to get back to the airport).   What is the average taxi fare for the trip?  It looks like about 10 miles on the map.  Any other suggestions for the transfers (we have not used Uber or Lyft)?   Thanks

I'm a bit surprised that your TA says Royal Caribbean is not offering transfers from EWR to the cruise terminal because they always have in the past and Royal's website says they're offered in general, although specifics for each individual port are not mentioned. The website says to contact your travel agent or Royal Caribbean to arrange transfers. Perhaps they are not offering transfers for Covid 19-related reasons??? You may want to check with Royal directly.

As @GTJ already noted there are no practical public transportation options and  a transfer by taxi, ride share service such as Uber/Lyft, or a car service such as carmellimo.com is likely to be in the $50-$60 range . 

• Like 2

Your TA is wrong as I may or may not have access to the same information 😉 and looking RIGHT NOW, one way from EWR to Cape Liberty is 27.955 PP or 55.90 round trip.  

Tell them to go look again.  I would post screen shots but I don't think it's a good idea as I don't want to piss off anyone at CC.

If they were not offered, the check boxes would be grayed out.  When they click the box, it will say waitlisted (it always will) until flight information is entered.  Now, I could be incorrect but the fact that they are available to add in Royal's TA site leads me to believe that either your TA didn't try, doesn't understand, doesn't know how to do it, or didn't call.  If they did and Royal said no, then I would call back and play dumb.  OR you can say that your TA said no but you spoke with other guests who have booked transfers for the same cruise.  (Don't tell them that other TAs may or may not have told you.)

I've booked them in the past and the times and details are provided by Royal closer to sailing.

BTW I'm on the same sailing.  I live an hour away so I'll be transporting myself.  😄

And BTW, I would try to come in the night before.  10 AM is a little close for my comfort.  Crap hits the fan here in the EWR/NYC area, even if the entire solar system has perfect weather.  Can you change your flight?  It WILL take longer to get through check in (though no procedures for Cape Lib yet) and getting out of EWR can be a pain in the ass.)  Just food for thought. 

And yes, cabs and even uber/lyft will be a lot more expensive up here in NJ.  Welcome to my life.  

Edited by megr1125
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jammin6097 said:

Thanks for all the good information.    I will contact RC tomorrow to verify if they have transfers.

They do work on Sunday!  😄  And you're welcome. Again, they were showing up, and able to be booked.  Generally, if something isn't available, the TA site will say that.

20 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Your TA is wrong as I may or may not have access to the same information 😉 and looking RIGHT NOW, one way from EWR to Cape Liberty is 27.955 PP or 55.90 round trip. Tell them to go look again.

I very much do like good and capable travel agents, as they can do things that make travel better in many ways. That said, however, I am disappointed by the vast majority of people who call themselves travel agents. Many simply punch in airline origins and destinations, and regurgitate to their clients only what their CRS or GDS spews out. Only a few go beyond, but even then agents will typically sell only that which will earn a commission or is otherwise spoon-fed to them by travel suppliers. Arranging ground transportation is a huge void where few agents have competence. (And while I have a competent travel agent, he had to cease selling bus tickets when Greyhound Lines stopped supplying ticket stock and otherwise ceased supporting travel agents for the sale of bus tickets. Nonetheless, my travel agent continues to advise me on travel by Greyhound Lines and other bus carriers, even though he can no longer sell those tickets to me, and I have to buy them directly from the bus companies.) It does not surprise me that a travel agent would not be able to advise well on ground transfers . . . and even where a travel agent might suggest one form of ground transportation, I would be suspicious if the agent provide comprehensive choice. (In particular, travel agents tend to be very ill-informed on inexpensive public transportation options, and will more often suggest taxis . . . even though public transportation generally requires greater skill and expertise to plan travel than taxi reliance.) I agree with your suspicions here as to the likely degree of travel agent diligence.

Also, cruise lines so overprice their transfers that it may not make much sense to use them. Such is the case with this transfer arranged by Royal Caribbean. A bus ride from the airport in Newark to the cruise port in Bayonne would be a 3-zone bus trip via New Jersey Transit, which would cost $3.15 per person . . . being generous and adding in the cost of a transfer, the fare would be $3.90 per person. For Royal Caribbean to charge $27.95 for a bus ride that is worth, at most, $3.90, is an outrage. At that rate, for two people it probably makes more sense to go by taxi, for virtually the same price as for waiting for the bus arranged by Royal Caribbean.

Years ago, Public Service Coordinated Transport (Transport of New Jersey) operated two trips daily except Sunday between the airport in Newark and the Military Ocean Terminal (what is now the cruise port) in Bayonne. I believe that New Jersey Transit continued to operate this route after it bought out Public Service, but with the downturn in military bus traffic to Military Ocean Terminal, McGuire Air Force Base, and Fort Dix, the bus route was eliminated. Yet with cruise vessels now docking in Bayonne, perhaps New Jersey Transit should consider reinstating that portion of the route between New York, Bayonne, and the airport, at least on cruise vessel arrival and departure days? A copy of the old bus schedule, from 1976, is attached to this message.

Public Service.pdf

2 hours ago, GTJ said:

I very much do like good and capable travel agents, as they can do things that make travel better in many ways. That said, however, I am disappointed by the vast majority of people who call themselves travel agents. Many simply punch in airline origins and destinations, and regurgitate to their clients only what their CRS or GDS spews out. Only a few go beyond, but even then agents will typically sell only that which will earn a commission or is otherwise spoon-fed to them by travel suppliers. Arranging ground transportation is a huge void where few agents have competence. (And while I have a competent travel agent, he had to cease selling bus tickets when Greyhound Lines stopped supplying ticket stock and otherwise ceased supporting travel agents for the sale of bus tickets. Nonetheless, my travel agent continues to advise me on travel by Greyhound Lines and other bus carriers, even though he can no longer sell those tickets to me, and I have to buy them directly from the bus companies.) It does not surprise me that a travel agent would not be able to advise well on ground transfers . . . and even where a travel agent might suggest one form of ground transportation, I would be suspicious if the agent provide comprehensive choice. (In particular, travel agents tend to be very ill-informed on inexpensive public transportation options, and will more often suggest taxis . . . even though public transportation generally requires greater skill and expertise to plan travel than taxi reliance.) I agree with your suspicions here as to the likely degree of travel agent diligence.

Also, cruise lines so overprice their transfers that it may not make much sense to use them. Such is the case with this transfer arranged by Royal Caribbean. A bus ride from the airport in Newark to the cruise port in Bayonne would be a 3-zone bus trip via New Jersey Transit, which would cost $3.15 per person . . . being generous and adding in the cost of a transfer, the fare would be $3.90 per person. For Royal Caribbean to charge $27.95 for a bus ride that is worth, at most, $3.90, is an outrage. At that rate, for two people it probably makes more sense to go by taxi, for virtually the same price as for waiting for the bus arranged by Royal Caribbean.

Years ago, Public Service Coordinated Transport (Transport of New Jersey) operated two trips daily except Sunday between the airport in Newark and the Military Ocean Terminal (what is now the cruise port) in Bayonne. I believe that New Jersey Transit continued to operate this route after it bought out Public Service, but with the downturn in military bus traffic to Military Ocean Terminal, McGuire Air Force Base, and Fort Dix, the bus route was eliminated. Yet with cruise vessels now docking in Bayonne, perhaps New Jersey Transit should consider reinstating that portion of the route between New York, Bayonne, and the airport, at least on cruise vessel arrival and departure days? A copy of the old bus schedule, from 1976, is attached to this message.

Public Service.pdf 2.27 MB · 1 download

There are good ones, and bad ones.  I had one years ago who refused to admit she was incorrect (remember the ever changing fuel surcharges??)  Long story short, I called Royal, told them she was wrong and could prove it, they spoke to me, and gave me OBC for the difference in price. (The TA had 5 months to adjust her invoice to the correct fuel surcharge price. She never did. Not my fault but I had to pay it or risk the cruise being cancelled.  Her big company should have just used Royal's confirms).  Needless to say, I stopped booking with her.

Now, if my TA makes a mistake, she can't have any ice cream or booze and the cat bites her.  😄 😄 😄

Anyway, the agents who actually do the work, do the training, get certified and can THINK are the good ones.  I rarely ever use cruise transfers as I hate buses and hate crowds.  Sometimes, it makes sense.  Good agents know that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

A bus ride from the airport in Newark to the cruise port in Bayonne would be a 3-zone bus trip via New Jersey Transit, which would cost $3.15 per person . . . being generous and adding in the cost of a transfer, the fare would be $3.90 per person.

Surely you don't believe that the bus ride actually costs $3.15 or $3.90. That may be the fare paid by the passenger but fares do not cover operating expenses much less capital costs. The shortfall is subsidized by taxpayers, although in NJ it's done in a bizarre way. NJT does not receive a direct operating subsidy in the state budget but instead funds its operating shortfall by taking funds from its capital budget, which is allocated primarily from gasoline tax revenues. By having to do this NJT is constantly forced to shortchange its capital expenditures, which is why its equipment is in the sorry shape that it is.

Further both  Royal Caribbean and the companies that provide their bus service are for-profit corporations. The owners/stockholders are entitled to a return on their investment and can't be expected to provide the transportation services on a break even basis.

• Like 1

We live about 10 miles from Newark airport, my son took a taxi home at 2 am last week, got charged $65 and the driver made him give him directions and complained that our house was 1 1/2 miles off of the highway. My other kids took an Uber x a few days later and it was $96, 25 minute ride. Decent cabs are hit or miss.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Anyway, the agents who actually do the work, do the training, get certified and can THINK are the good ones.  I rarely ever use cruise transfers as I hate buses and hate crowds.  Sometimes, it makes sense.  Good agents know that!

Being able to reason well is critical to most professionals, travel agents included! Being able to dig into the details and being able to understand how a set of complex and interrelated rules apply is a mark of a good travel agent. For example, I remember years ago delving into the details of airline tariff routing diagrams, to devise interesting itineraries, indirect but tariff-compliant, and I realized then how few travel agents could do the same (even among agents of the air carrier, it was only the most senior who could so, such as one agent at a carrier's CTO in Oakland, Calif., whom I enjoyed being able to approach).

Couple with the technical skills required of a travel agent are the people skills. Knowing that particular clients do or do not like particular services, and to be able to filter choices for that client, is very helpful, though it can take a bit of time. My preferred travel in New Hampshire understands my preferences, and is able to provide good suggestions. In my case, I despise commercial air travel (there is no longer any good service, "security" is mostly theatre, and I do not desire to forgo surrendering of civil liberties), I dislike taxis and other similar small vehicles (they're uncomfortable and make me sick), but I very much like (complex) systems of public transport (and perhaps sharing with you a dislike of overcrowding). That ability to personalize based on a long-term relationship, coupled with technical competence, makes for a great travel agent!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Surely you don't believe that the bus ride actually costs $3.15 or $3.90. That may be the fare paid by the passenger but fares do not cover operating expenses much less capital costs. The shortfall is subsidized by taxpayers, although in NJ it's done in a bizarre way. * * * Further both  Royal Caribbean and the companies that provide their bus service are for-profit corporations. The owners/stockholders are entitled to a return on their investment and can't be expected to provide the transportation services on a break even basis.

Yes, you're very much on target that that the cost of transportation by bus is largely subsidized by the government, at least for travel within a single metropolitan area. And you imply important public policy issues. Typically, only about one-third to one-half of the operating cost is recovered from the farebox, but it is the passenger fare that is generally viewed by passengers as to how much a bus ride is worth. Now one thing that is interesting is the still-new service that NJT operates to American Dream in the Meadowlands. Its older services, the 160, 161, 163, and 164, charge a 3-zone interstate fare of $4.50 one-way ($9.00 round-trip) to MetLife Stadium and vicinity. But when American Dream opened, NJT did not want to incur the additional cost of subsidizing a new bus route to the shopping center, so it devised a new route 355 to be operated without subsidy . . . it has a special fare of $9.00 one-way ($18.00 round-trip) for the interstate bus trip that goes to a bus stop just across state highway 120 from MetLife Stadium (fare-conscious passengers can use the pedestrian overpass and use the less-expensive route 160 bus instead of the route 355 bus). Note as well that Coach USA (a private for-profit company) operates route 351 service to the Meadowlands on event days for a round-trip fare of $14.00. In short, an unsubsidized fare appears to require a fare that is approximately twice that of the subsidized fare.

As well, some public transit agencies purposefully target groups of people that they believe can and should pay higher fares, such as passengers to or from airports. For example, Chicago's CTA ordinarily charges $2.50 for a "L" train trip, but $5.00 when boarding at O'Hare Airport (yet only $2.50 at Midway Airport). San Francisco's BART adds an additional $5.00 to fares originating or ending at San Francisco International Airport or Oakland International Airport. Yet, a substantial number of people using public transportation at airports are low-wage air industry employees, and so higher airport fares are arguably unfairly discriminatory. The same type of higher fare might be what is at play with the NJT fare policy at MetLife Stadium and American Dream, and could be utilized as well were NJT service (either directly operated or contracted) be provided to and from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (there really should be bus service provided there since residential uses are being constructed there).

There are good arguments on both sides whether bus fares ought to be subsidized or not. But if bus fares are subsidized, and if a bus fare from Newark Airport to Elizabeth is subsidized (NJT route 62), should not also a bus fare from Newark Airport to Bayonne also be subsidized? That the route is operated by a private for-private company does not preclude a fare subsidy from being provided, as there are many routes in New Jersey operated by private for-profit companies that receive fare subsidizes (many of which are operated by Academy and Coach USA).

Under any circumstance, however, for Royal Caribbean to demand $27.95 for a bus fare between Newark Airport and Bayonne is excessive. Even if the ordinary 3-zone intrastate fare that would ordinarily be charged by NJT for a trip between Newark Airport and Bayonne were to be tripled, so as to remove a fare subsidy (notwithstanding the arguments favoring such subsidies), then a "fair fare" would would only be in the range of $10.00 to $12.00. The Royal Caribbean fare, two and one-half times that amount, it excessive.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know this subject was about getting from Newark Airport to the cruise terminal, but I, and 11 other people, will be arriving the day before and staying in Newark hotels.  I had assumed that it wouldn't be too costly to use Uber/Lyft or even a taxi, but the airport appears to be closer to the pier and a $50+ fare is exorbitant.

So, my question is what are the best options for a large group of people to get to the cruise pier from Newark (Doubletree Penn Station is one of the hotels we're booked into) without breaking the bank?

Also, since some of you are so familiar with the area, I have an additional question: two of our group live in NYC (Washington Heights area) and are fairly broke young people so really need to take the train/public transportation to get to the hotel, but they do not as yet know how to do that.  I would greatly appreciate any help/advice you could offer.

Thanks so much!

23 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I know this subject was about getting from Newark Airport to the cruise terminal, but I, and 11 other people, will be arriving the day before and staying in Newark hotels.  I had assumed that it wouldn't be too costly to use Uber/Lyft or even a taxi, but the airport appears to be closer to the pier and a $50+ fare is exorbitant.

So, my question is what are the best options for a large group of people to get to the cruise pier from Newark (Doubletree Penn Station is one of the hotels we're booked into) without breaking the bank?

Also, since some of you are so familiar with the area, I have an additional question: two of our group live in NYC (Washington Heights area) and are fairly broke young people so really need to take the train/public transportation to get to the hotel, but they do not as yet know how to do that.  I would greatly appreciate any help/advice you could offer.

Thanks so much!

I recommend you contact Carmel Limo at 1-866-6666 to reserve a large van  to get from the hotel to the cruise terminal. 

The people living in Washington Heights should take the subway from home to Penn Station (New York) and then New Jersey Transit from New York Penn Station to Newark Penn Station. Not knowing exactly where they live I'm assuming the A train is closest to their home but there are other lines if my assumption is wrong.

1 hour ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The people living in Washington Heights should take the subway from home to Penn Station (New York) and then New Jersey Transit from New York Penn Station to Newark Penn Station. Not knowing exactly where they live I'm assuming the A train is closest to their home but there are other lines if my assumption is wrong.

In addition to taking the subway and NJ Transit train as I mentioned above, depending on exactly where they live it may be convenient to take the subway to Herald Square and a PATH train to Newark Penn Station or a subway to Port Authority Bus Terminal and a NJ Transit bus from there to Newark Penn Station.

1. Yes, the fares are exorbitant, and while public transportation could be used for a more reasonable sum, the structure of the routes does not make it especially convenient, especially with baggage. If it were to considered, then from Newark Pennsylvania Station you would use the PATH train to Exchange Place station in Jersey City ($2.75). Then transfer to the New Jersey Transit light rail train destined for Bayonne ($2.25), and alight at the 34th Street station In Bayonne. You will then to use a taxi, Uber, or Lyft vehicle for the the short distance between the station and the port (about $8.00).

2. You might be able to charter a bus for a group that size (say, from Coach USA, or perhaps less expensively from Community Lines in Jersey City), you would probably have to pay a minimum fee for the bus for the relatively short trip, which could exceed the price of a few Uber or Lyft vehicles. Perhaps you might be able to have Rally arrange for a shared bus between Newark and the port, but even there it could be a challenge having enough cruise passengers finding out about the trip for it to be a go.

3. The DoubleTree Newark is downtown, adjacent to Pennsylvania Station, and convenient to public transportation. I was there yesterday. From Washington Heights to Newark, the journey is either (option 1) first south, then west; or (option 2) first west, then south. For option 1, from Washington Heights, use the downtown "A" NYCTA subway train ($2.75) to Chambers Street station. Then transfer to the PATH train ($2.75) to Newark. For option 2, from Washington Heights use New Jersey Transit bus route 175 or 182 at the George Washington Bridge bus station to the Hackensack bus terminal ($4.50). Then transfer to New Jersey Transit bus route 76 at the Hackensack bus terminal to Newark Pennsylvania Station ($3.15 exact fare). Option 1 is nearly entirely underground, a bit quicker and less expensive; option 2 is entirely above ground, not as quick and a bit more expensive.

(There are a few variants to option 1. One could change from the "A" train to the "D" train, at either 125th Street or 59th Street-Columbus Circle, to 34th Street, then the PATH train from 33rd Street to Journal Square in Jersey City, then change to another PATH train to Newark ($2.75). Or one could alight from the "A" train at 42nd Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal, then New Jersey Transit bus route 108 from Port Authority Bus Terminal to Newark Pennsylvania Station ($6.00). Or one could alight from the "A" train at 34th Street-Pennsylvania Station, then New Jersey Transit commuter train from New York Pennsylvania Station to Newark Pennsylvania Station ($5.25). But the connection from the "A" train at World Trade Center is most convenient and direct.)

On 8/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, njhorseman said:

I recommend you contact Carmel Limo at 1-866-6666 to reserve a large van  to get from the hotel to the cruise terminal. 

Thank you.  I will check out Carmel Limo.  I didn't see anything on the website for this particular trip, but a call can not hurt.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, njhorseman said:

In addition to taking the subway and NJ Transit train as I mentioned above, depending on exactly where they live it may be convenient to take the subway to Herald Square and a PATH train to Newark Penn Station or a subway to Port Authority Bus Terminal and a NJ Transit bus from there to Newark Penn Station.

I'm basically copying and pasting all the suggestions here and emailing them.  Hopefully, it won't be too much trouble traveling public transportation with cruise luggage.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:08 PM, GTJ said:

1. Yes, the fares are exorbitant, and while public transportation could be used for a more reasonable sum, the structure of the routes does not make it especially convenient, especially with baggage. If it were to considered, then from Newark Pennsylvania Station you would use the PATH train to Exchange Place station in Jersey City ($2.75). Then transfer to the New Jersey Transit light rail train destined for Bayonne ($2.25), and alight at the 34th Street station In Bayonne. You will then to use a taxi, Uber, or Lyft vehicle for the the short distance between the station and the port (about $8.00).

2. You might be able to charter a bus for a group that size (say, from Coach USA, or perhaps less expensively from Community Lines in Jersey City), you would probably have to pay a minimum fee for the bus for the relatively short trip, which could exceed the price of a few Uber or Lyft vehicles. Perhaps you might be able to have Rally arrange for a shared bus between Newark and the port, but even there it could be a challenge having enough cruise passengers finding out about the trip for it to be a go.

3. The DoubleTree Newark is downtown, adjacent to Pennsylvania Station, and convenient to public transportation. I was there yesterday. From Washington Heights to Newark, the journey is either (option 1) first south, then west; or (option 2) first west, then south. For option 1, from Washington Heights, use the downtown "A" NYCTA subway train ($2.75) to Chambers Street station. Then transfer to the PATH train ($2.75) to Newark. For option 2, from Washington Heights use New Jersey Transit bus route 175 or 182 at the George Washington Bridge bus station to the Hackensack bus terminal ($4.50). Then transfer to New Jersey Transit bus route 76 at the Hackensack bus terminal to Newark Pennsylvania Station ($3.15 exact fare). Option 1 is nearly entirely underground, a bit quicker and less expensive; option 2 is entirely above ground, not as quick and a bit more expensive.

(There are a few variants to option 1. One could change from the "A" train to the "D" train, at either 125th Street or 59th Street-Columbus Circle, to 34th Street, then the PATH train from 33rd Street to Journal Square in Jersey City, then change to another PATH train to Newark ($2.75). Or one could alight from the "A" train at 42nd Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal, then New Jersey Transit bus route 108 from Port Authority Bus Terminal to Newark Pennsylvania Station ($6.00). Or one could alight from the "A" train at 34th Street-Pennsylvania Station, then New Jersey Transit commuter train from New York Pennsylvania Station to Newark Pennsylvania Station ($5.25). But the connection from the "A" train at World Trade Center is most convenient and direct.)

Thank you for such detailed instructions!  I really do appreciate it and am so grateful everyone on here is so helpful.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 2:58 PM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Thank you.  I will check out Carmel Limo.  I didn't see anything on the website for this particular trip, but a call can not hurt.

I echo the suggestion to price out a confirmed quote price with Carmel and/or Dial 7 car service (both are reputable & well established, licensed & insured car service ... don't be mistaken by "limo" - although they do have upscale model/choices listed on their site, available to book & reserve; and, you can choose to prepaid them in advance (although, we do not - either pay them at the end of the ride, credit card or cashless payment but cash is always cheerfully accepted, especially the tips (20% of the base fare, excluding tolls))  We use Carmel mostly and aside from 2 "surprises" in the last 10+ years, been very pleased with them for airport and cruise transportation from NE Queens - and never once hit with surge pricing (there is now a nominal congestion surcharge into/out of the mid/downtown Manhattan core tourism districts, added-on not long ago, pre-pandemic).  As a bonus, if you booked & confirmed ahead for a standard sedan and one isn't available, a nicer deluxe or luxury sedan is typically substituted using Carmel at no extra charge or fees, twice - 2 of us rode in a mini-van instead to the pier with our 22" rollerboards, a backpack and DW's travel tote/purse.  

Uber and/or Lyft has been popular and often cited as better, less expensive but there has been horror stories & reports (check those out at Flyertalk's Forum) especially "post" pandemic as there are sometimes fewer, available, drivers with vehicles during peak demand time ... and, for upcoming cruises out of the metro NY/NJ area - this could get very interesting, with pricing and wait time, etc.  We've only used Lyft 2 or 3 times lately and found prices to be higher for our short trips to medical appointments, no longer the better value options over Carmel or Dial 7.  Our local car services apparently, still offer the best deals - although not the "best" fleet of vehicles, but we don't need to impress anyone for our curbside arrivals.  

On 8/9/2021 at 2:59 PM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I'm basically copying and pasting all the suggestions here and emailing them.  Hopefully, it won't be too much trouble traveling public transportation with cruise luggage.

Is there really any such thing as "public transportation with cruise luggage" from EWR (or anywhere else) to the Bayonne cruise terminal -- without having to walk a good part of it?

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take a taxi or line up a car service. Yes, you can possibly do a fair part of it on public transport (two or more modes) and then a taxi --- but most of us cruise for a good time, and do not want to go through hoops to save a few dollars when going on a cruise.

Edited by navybankerteacher

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Is there really any such thing as "public transportation with cruise luggage" from EWR (or anywhere else) to the Bayonne cruise terminal -- without having to walk a good part of it?

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take a taxi or line up a car service. Yes, you can possibly do a fair part of it on public transport (two or more modes) and then a taxi --- but most of us cruise for a good time, and do not want to go through hoops to save a few dollars when going on a cruise.

Those suggestions were in response to a specific question about taking public transportation to get from Washington Heights in NY City to the Doubletree Hotel at Newark Penn Station, not to get to the port. You certainly can take mass transit on that trip and there are several options for doing so as were outlined in the replies.

The answers on how to get to the port from the hotel definitely did not involve mass transit.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Count me in on the crowd that sometimes has to bit the bullet, and does so grudgingly (such as is the case in getting from the 34th Street NJT light rail station to Cape Liberty and return). I have a "good time" when traveling by train or bus, and I am much more likely to be miserable if I have to be trapped in a taxi or other type of automobile (and risk getting carsick). In other words, it is not always about using public transportation to "save" a few dollars. For me, it is a travel preference. (That said, however, one does need to recognize that not everyone has money to burn on overly-expensive taxis and car services. It is not that everyone is on a carefree rich person's vacation . . . many of us are poor and have a limited budget.) In short, we're all different, and we all have different needs and preferences.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hmmm… following this (older) news since we will need this transfer from Newark airport to the cruise terminal in January. What am I missing? This is my google search done this AM. It seems quite different from what is mentioned in all the posts above. 
image.thumb.jpeg.ead9216e20373cb64c1b212c15a8206d.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Babyjax12 said:

Hmmm… following this (older) news since we will need this transfer from Newark airport to the cruise terminal in January. What am I missing? This is my google search done this AM. It seems quite different from what is mentioned in all the posts above. 
image.thumb.jpeg.ead9216e20373cb64c1b212c15a8206d.jpeg

There were  couple  of different questions  being  addressed in the thread, but none were directly about the price of Uber from EWR to the port, so I don't see any inherent  conflict.  An Uber price quote for any particular time on any particular day is whatever  it is and can vary substantially based on demand and availability of Uber drivers.

• Like 1