Insurance- pre- existing waiver question.

VivianK

We always buy our insurance within 14 days of deposit in order to waive pre- existing conditions. We would like to book a few cruises now, but even with refundable deposit you still stAnd to lose your insurance if you cancel which in our case amounts to quite a bit. I’m not referring to the Princess insurance which we always get. We get additional medical because cruise line insurance lacks in this area. Any tips what some of you” elders” due with this situation. Thanks 

Have you considered getting a third-party comprehensive plan instead of Princess and another medical? Is that an annual policy?

I’m asking because there are insurance companies that will let you insure just the deposit in order to lock in the pre-existing condition waiver, CFAR, and financial default coverage. If you have to cancel, you may be able transfer your premium to another sailing.

A lot of things have changed because of Covid so it may be useful to talk to a broker. Steve Dasseos of Trip Insurance Store is featured here on CC and is answering questions over on the Cruise/Travel Insurance board. You could ask him or give him a call.

We have made no secret of what we do.  We do not ever buy cruise line insurance which we think is not a good deal for folks unless they have no other option (which can happen to advance seniors).  I should mention that we had 5 cruises canceled due to COVID and did not have a single issue with insurance or insurance premiums because we simply do not buy any travel insurance.  However, we do purchase an annual (with emphasis on annual) travel medical policy (with $100,000 of limits on those over 70) that covers every trip we take throughout the entire year.  And during this past COVID year we could have canceled that policy (and received a pro-rated refund) if we had chosen to push that option.  

As to why we do not buy Princess insurance (when we cruise on Princess) it is because we think their medical limits are ridiculously low!  I have said here (many times) that our maximum loss if we fail to take a cruise is the cost of the cruise (which we can afford or we would not have booked the voyage).  But our potential liability for medical related issues is unlimited so that is the specific area where we concentrate our insurance coverage.

But I will be very blunt.  I read of folks very concerned because they could lose a few thousand dollars if they must cancel a cruise.  But those same folks seem to have little concern about their unlimited liability for a medical emergency (which can easily cost $50,000 +).  Just this past winter an American who got a serious case of COVID while in Puerto Vallarta ended up with a medical bill in excess of $200,000.  This is rare, but it does happen.  So I think most folks need to think about insurance as something to protect them from a catastrophic loss rather then focusing on cancelation costs.

Hank