July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

3 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I'll ask my sources on who the others are. They're going to love me for this homework assignment. 😂🤣🤣

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Steelers36I had to laugh a bit at the preemptive apologies to me as I really have been a dog with a bone about no, no, and pretty please no speculative comments.  I’m a recently retired professor and it’s hard to not go into that mode. I really worked hard to set up this thread vastly differently from all the other threads I’ve ever read on CC. So when I read “they seem to be”, “as time goes on probably..”,  “AFAIK”, “reports I’ve read”, “if”, ‘I suspect”, “Hopefully, soon” I am forced to go into total teacher persona. Pleeeease take this as the funny comment I mean it to be…… you get an F on that post. Mostly because your last statement was that you “just wanted to clarify some things about DMW”. I have to say maybe it’s the glass of wine, maybe it’s you, maybe it’s the stress but I sure did get a good laugh. 

I wasn’t going to say this but the Allegro (sp) dining room is open for reservations. I was able to mock book one this afternoon. 
really hope I did not offend you. 

If he's a true Steeler fan, he won't be offended. We Steeler fans are pretty thick skinned. (I hope)

• Like 1

@Steelers36 I had to pick 8:40 on only one day to get Allegro. So it has limited space left. I’m not surprised it didn’t come up for @CruiseRaider  I just got lucky. 

I started this early as I know there is precruise angst over so many things. I felt it might be helpful for folks to watch us go through it and resolve it so they could relax about it. Also we do have access to all the shows & events & such and people often ask about what’s offered on board. 

It’s a good thought to start it afresh once on board but I’m afraid I’d lose some valuable contributors who’ve bookmarked this. If I ever do this again I might set it up like that. But for this trip the horse has left the barn. 

I agree and have said time and again that YMMV since we are the first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Steelers36I had to laugh a bit at the preemptive apologies to me as I really have been a dog with a bone about no, no, and pretty please no speculative comments.  I’m a recently retired professor and it’s hard to not go into that mode. I really worked hard to set up this thread vastly differently from all the other threads I’ve ever read on CC. So when I read “they seem to be”, “as time goes on probably..”,  “AFAIK”, “reports I’ve read”, “if”, ‘I suspect”, “Hopefully, soon” I am forced to go into total teacher persona. Pleeeease take this as the funny comment I mean it to be…… you get an F on that post. Mostly because your last statement was that you “just wanted to clarify some things about DMW”. I have to say maybe it’s the glass of wine, maybe it’s you, maybe it’s the stress but I sure did get a good laugh. 

I wasn’t going to say this but the Allegro (sp) dining room is open for reservations. I was able to mock book one this afternoon. 

Once a teacher (professor), always a teacher....it just slips out.  My own children would remind me to put my mom hat on.  I love your sense of humor and organizational skills.  The cruise will be shorter than this thread.  Have a great time and enjoy the scenery. 

While you are onboard, please fix the Medallion Class App for all of us to follow.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

On the dine my way you can set up for traditional which is to reserve a table for the same dining room and on a nightly basis. That's considered your traditional. Everything now has to be dine with my way

I can't tell for sure that is traditional. Traditional was you selected a table size (for example 6) and if you were a party of two, were seated with the same four other people for the entire cruise.

There is nothing to indicate that if you (could) select a table for six if you would get the same other people each evening or just any four other people every evening.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not sailing now, but I have seen all of those movies.  Some are pretty old now.  Probably takes a bit of time to update titles.  Oh wait, guess I have not seen Ad Astra.

In the past there usually were some movies that were about to come out on DVD. This is usually about six months after initial release.

With the Pandemic, most completed movies were held back and thus there are few, if any, about to come out on DVD. Thus the lineup of old movies on MUTS.

Hi @caribill have you access to theses screens in medallion ap? I attaching an ocean ready My Preference screen shot (incomplete as it takes 2 screens to see it all on my 12.9 in iPad), a screen shot of what you get when you then select dining and a separate screen shot under DMY of a request for a reservation. 
I asked for relaxed dining and a repeat dining location.   When I make any type of reservation…specialty, different days, different times in DMW as a solo, I am only allowed a table of two. Believe me when I say I’ve tried every way from Sunday to get a larger table to share. 

I won’t speculate on what that means or I’d have to fail myself on this assignment. 🤭

I am going to seek out the Maitre D’hotel after lunch on embarkation day to inquire about dining with others (and about chef table). 

4B840585-5A7F-4FC8-9BA8-8D48302A7BF3.png

F5C58ED6-4BAD-4A37-A610-6FB60CB4EA46.png

C78D11B4-76FE-4EA6-A4FE-83EB4F3BD60B.png

2 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi @caribill have you access to theses screens in medallion ap?

I am going to seek out the Maitre D’hotel after lunch on embarkation day to inquire about dining with others (and about chef table).

Unfortunately no smart phone or tablet I have is compatible with the app, so I do not have access to these screens.

I look forward to hearing about your chat with the Maitre D'hotel.

And thanks for doing the "Live from."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi @caribill have you access to theses screens in medallion ap? I attaching an ocean ready My Preference screen shot (incomplete as it takes 2 screens to see it all on my 12.9 in iPad), a screen shot of what you get when you then select dining and a separate screen shot under DMY of a request for a reservation. 
I asked for relaxed dining and a repeat dining location.   When I make any type of reservation…specialty, different days, different times in DMW as a solo, I am only allowed a table of two. Believe me when I say I’ve tried every way from Sunday to get a larger table to share. 

I won’t speculate on what that means or I’d have to fail myself on this assignment. 🤭

4B840585-5A7F-4FC8-9BA8-8D48302A7BF3.png

F5C58ED6-4BAD-4A37-A610-6FB60CB4EA46.png

C78D11B4-76FE-4EA6-A4FE-83EB4F3BD60B.png

Oh they finally updated where you can choose which dining room. That's nice I kept saying I wish that they would give us a list of options versus just one option. Progress at it's finest.

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

You're good! As some others have mentioned, I do hope that you enjoy your cruise and try to make that your number one priority. It is your vacation and your time to kind of soak it in, as you enjoy and relax.... By the way I'm a teacher too, except I teach my little wonders of curiosity, better known as first graders. I'm used to all of their questions, what if's, and critical thinking of speculations. 🤣

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

It’s a good thought to start it afresh once on board but I’m afraid I’d lose some valuable contributors who’ve bookmarked this. If I ever do this again I might set it up like that. But for this trip the horse has left the barn. 

Understood about your desire not to lose valuable contributors. These contributors add important content; at the same time, I expect they are reading all the posts. Why not set up a new Live From... thread closer to the actual sailing and post a message in this thread with a link to the new thread. This would allow you to have a thread as you originally intended and direct followers of this thread to your new posts. 

Thanks, again, for your efforts. I hope you have a great time on your cruise!

Kevin

11 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Jeter02 I will be forever in your debt. I made some (I think) pretty nice invites with my Cricut maker and I’m loathe to write Dear Sir or Mesdames. Or what ever you put (google is my friend) if you don’t know names. 

Any names you don't find ahead of time, just go to PAX services once onboard. They'll fill in your blanks. Then just hand write the missing names.

That's what I did on one of the M&Gs that I worked on.

6 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Since @caribill couldn't answer, the reason you are seeing this is because Princess setup DMW for social distanced dining and DMW only offers the smallest available table size at the time slot you pick.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Since @caribill couldn't answer, the reason you are seeing this is because Princess setup DMW for social distanced dining and DMW only offers the smallest available table size at the time slot you pick.

Correct. Also for right now, they want to keep everyone seated only within their party, and not have different parties intermingled.

However, on the early first voyages, they seem to be separating by table each cabin (or travel party).  As time goes on (probably past CSO expiry, they will allow more mixing.  

This is a good point I hadn't thought of.  We prefer a table for 2 so we can control the pace better ourselves.  But it may be they are pushing tables that are ONLY our travelling party for the early cruises to encourage social distancing.  I don't see why the app couldn't allow choices for table number and sharing preferred.  Under normal conditions, that would be available. And of course, it could just be the buggy app and hopefully it will be fixed at some point.  

It will be interesting to see if the three dining rooms on Majestic Princess will be configured for social distancing, with 3- to 6-ft. of space between tables.  In the normal, pre-pandemic configuration, there was hardly any space between the tables for 2.  

8 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

DMW as a solo, I am only allowed a table of two. Believe me when I say I’ve tried every way from Sunday to get a larger table to share. 

I am going to seek out the Maitre D’hotel after lunch on embarkation day to inquire about dining with others

Just my 2c on what I did: from 1 solo cruiser to another:::

Several wanted to share / not dine alone so I linked our bookings (most shared via email). We now have a table for 6 @ 6 each night on our 8/15/21 booking. 

I will (eventually) try to create a group of solos on our 12/9/21 unless an app update let's us add that possibility in DMW

APOLOGIES FOR BREAKING INTO THIS THREAD / I DON'T CRUISE FOR A MONTH

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@kml246  that’s a good idea and I agree the pre embarkation issues would be better suited to a separate thread. So when I settle at the hotel in Seattle Saturday evening I’ll start the new live from for topics regarding getting on board and being on board. 

@JF - retired RRTthats a better back up plan than putting Sir or Mesdames. If I can’t get names by Thursday that’s what I’ll do. I’m using my cricket maker and my printer to make the invites and the envelopes. They take time and I’m sooooo ready for them to be done. At least the 7 are done for the main officers who were listed on FB in a Princess post. 

• Like 1

@HaveDogWillTravelthanks for reminding posters that this thread is about what is ACTUALLY happening - which can not be determined at this time no matter how many times certain posters speculate about what a friend's sisters partner who know a crew member states that a Princess exec told them

Only a few more days - 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The showtimes in the theater seem to be at 7:00 and 9:15 PM.  

Thank you kindly! I'm impatiently waiting for the activities to show for my trip- but this helps with planning for dinner times. Now I'll wait for the menus, so I know which nights I'm going to try the special restaurants.

• Like 2

Hi all! My husband and my medallions came in last week, and we were lucky enough to get reservations in the Symphony Dining Room at 6:20 p.m. for the whole cruise, though apparently not for the first night. The Medallion app certainly seems pretty buggy, but I hope they get it fixed. I was able to book several activities, and it's been fun seeing those fill out as we get even closer to cruising!

I know this initial cruise likely will require a bit of flexibility and patience, but after being cooped up in my house for the past 16 months, I can't wait to get back on the open ocean!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Donald & Daisy Duck said:

We are booked at the Hyatt at Olive 8 and will let you know how it is once we arrive on Saturday.  It is a few blocks from Pikes Market.

The medallion app is certainly not without issues but they are working diligently to try and fix all issues.  That said, we are 5 days out and my husband cannot access it at all.  No worries though, we will get on the ship eventually.  And yes, you must make a resort for all activities as of now.  Spontaneity may return at some point but it seems to have disappeared for right now.  Just keep checking the app daily in journeyview to we what events are available for your cruise.  Ours showed up about 2-3 weeks out.  Make sure you a running the most recent updated app and don’t be surprised if you have to delete and reinstall a few times.

Regarding the app 

This morning was our last attempt at getting someone. (6th call with perhaps 8 hours on hold over that time. We called the number given on the app and after a 30 minute wait (not so bad compared to other days - we called first thing in the morning) the girl said "you have the wrong department, let me transfer you" ................................................. we go into hold and get the exact same recording. Another 30 minute wait we got someone that actually input our passports for us and told us that "hopefully" someone on board would be able to get the app to work. At least for others having problems I was assured that the app was not necessary to check in. This was the first person that assured us that this working was not necessary for boarding.

In a suite they give you the first night dining in a specialty for free - I want to sign up for La Mer and can't - will be miffed if we can't get in after trying for a month to get the medallion to work.

What was interesting, she said that our vaccine card HAD to be issued in the United States. I should have ask if that meant only US citizens would be on the cruise - it's either that or people from other countries are going to need proof of a negative test.

6 minutes ago, BlueFish2000 said:

Regarding the app 

This morning was our last attempt at getting someone. (6th call with perhaps 8 hours on hold over that time. We called the number given on the app and after a 30 minute wait (not so bad compared to other days - we called first thing in the morning) the girl said "you have the wrong department, let me transfer you" ................................................. we go into hold and get the exact same recording. Another 30 minute wait we got someone that actually input our passports for us and told us that "hopefully" someone on board would be able to get the app to work. At least for others having problems I was assured that the app was not necessary to check in. This was the first person that assured us that this working was not necessary for boarding.

In a suite they give you the first night dining in a specialty for free - I want to sign up for La Mer and can't - will be miffed if we can't get in after trying for a month to get the medallion to work.

What was interesting, she said that our vaccine card HAD to be issued in the United States. I should have ask if that meant only US citizens would be on the cruise - it's either that or people from other countries are going to need proof of a negative test.

If you try to book your free specialty dining on the embarkation day it will charge you.  We have never ever had an issue scheduling that meal when we came on board

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

If you try to book your free specialty dining on the embarkation day it will charge you.  We have never ever had an issue scheduling that meal when we came on board

I agree, have never had an issue with any of this. Princess has always been great - they have our personal info and it was a breeze to check in. Now everything seems different - I hope we can get on board and get the reservation - but with this medallion app not working - it showing you need reservations and then I'm sure we will have less seats because of social distancing - who knows.  I like to have things set so I can vacation and not have to spend a bunch of time trying to get into dine.