July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

18 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

On the Alaska cruises if you want to watch "MUTS" be sure to bring your arctic fowl weather gear. It get really cold up on deck when the ship is running at 25 knots. I know I won't be out there watching a movie. 

My memory is fuzzy, but there is at least one Alaska city that does not allow MUTS when the ship in port.  Hey, it is their backyard!

On the other hand, when we crossed the northern Pacific in October 2018 -- Coral Princess - we had terrible weather and the open decks were closed, but MUTS played on!

18 minutes ago, R**T said:

On the other hand, when we crossed the northern Pacific in October 2018 -- Coral Princess - we had terrible weather and the open decks were closed, but MUTS played on!

My first experience with MUTS was on a San Francisco to Vancouver coastal.  I believe I was wearing a down park and had 7 or 8 deck blankets, and was still cold ....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

My first experience with MUTS was on a San Francisco to Vancouver coastal.  I believe I was wearing a down park and had 7 or 8 deck blankets, and was still cold ....

I can't think of anything more enjoyable than sitting outside, freezing my butt off with a heavy coat, hat and gloves on and covered up with a half dozen little thin blankets. FUN!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, R**T said:

My memory is fuzzy, but there is at least one Alaska city that does not allow MUTS when the ship in port.  Hey, it is their backyard!

I can't say for sure but I believe that city that won't allow MUTS is in San Francisco.  However, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a place in Alaska that didn't allow it.  

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@kml246and @Steelers36 and anyone who may have read my earlier comment about starting a new live thread after embarkation. I have decided to just keep it simple and just keep posting to this thread. It’s not that big a deal and I don’t want any confusion with two different threads with similar names for those on our roll call. 

Yes ... this thread will do just fine.  Again, thank you for setting it up.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abbydancer said:

We've done MUTS several times at night including while we've been up in Alaska.  At times, it's been a bit chilly on the upper deck, mainly due to the wind but the deck by the food services has always been quite doable.  

9 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Sail Away Event had changed

Was this a Sailaway Event organized on your roll call or organized by the ship? 

If doing a slot pull,  has that been permitted to be held?

What I'm trying to figure out is whether PCL is restricting events held / organized by us (our Roll Call scheduled 3: Sailaway,  Meet & Greet, Slot Pull)

Edited by Ombud

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We don't have access to the menus yet, either.  

BTW, I worked in informatics for almost a year. 

Hopefully they will have them somewhere people can photograph. Or maybe a publicly available QR code (not likely). I hope you all have a wonderful time! I'm so excited for you!!!

Informatics is a good gig and it has served me well. 🙂 Cheers to my fellow data nerd!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@kml246and @Steelers36 and anyone who may have read my earlier comment about starting a new live thread after embarkation. I have decided to just keep it simple and just keep posting to this thread. It’s not that big a deal and I don’t want any confusion with two different threads with similar names for those on our roll call. 

I would suggest making an ALL CAPS post in a very large font to mark the beginning of your "real" Live postings. Something that will clearly stand out to mark the beginning. Maybe in a glaring color as well. 😁

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I would suggest making an ALL CAPS post in a very large font to mark the beginning of your "real" Live postings. Something that will clearly stand out to mark the beginning. Maybe in a glaring color as well. 😁

😃  I'm going to use this thread as a litmus test for the aptitude of  persons I might encounter onboard in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes ... this thread will do just fine.  Again, thank you for setting it up.  

Same thoughts here. I just skim down to read only posts by OP. Like to see some photos along the way. How exciting!!! Safe travels. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Was this a Sailaway Event organized on your roll call or organized by the ship? 

If doing a slot pull,  has that been permitted to be held?

What I'm trying to figure out is whether PCL is restricting events held / organized by us (our Roll Call scheduled 3: Sailaway,  Meet & Greet, Slot Pull)

The Sailaway was on the JourneyView schedule in the app. They pulled it and re-released it as the same thing, but we had to sign up for it again.

We have an official Meet and Greet scheduled on board, with a room assigned by Princess and everything. So that part is blessed. Slot Pull is a maybe, based on interest in the group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2021 at 9:45 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am still so surprised that the second sailing has less on journeyview than we did 2 weeks out.

I'm not seeing any events currently for the Aug 8 sailing.  Do you recall when they appeared?  Also, someone mentioned what movies were on the ship?  WHERE were you able to view this info?  We actually didn't have many issues with the App; however, I am not seeing lots of the information folks are talking about.  THANKS in advance.

@GregDaniels813our health page in the ap recently changed from no masks to this. If you are going to sail during covid you will have to be okay with extreme changes in protocols at the drop of a hat. That’s why you will read conflicting information. It all changes so fast. You simply must be okay with it and not care. 

Read the new passenger contract really, really well. You've signed away your right to complain about being so much as “disappointed”.  Sailing at this time is not for everyone. I’m retired so delays don’t bother me. I will follow without complaint or disappointment any safety protocols required. 

FA4B4468-4190-4D27-8F4F-8C1E7626309E.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GregDaniels813 said:

Thanks so much for doing this! Heading out on the Majestic on the 8th of August, and it's my wife's first cruise, so I'm anxious to make sure it's a good experience for her. Excited to see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

So should I expect to see stuff in JourneyView in the app beginning July 25th (14 days out from our trip)? Just want to make sure we're on the ball.

Also, I'm interested to know about masks onboard. I feel like I've heard a lot of conflicted information, especially since these Alaska cruises are supposedly vaccinated, from what I've understood. 

Thanks again! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  You might want to join us on the roll call for the cruise which is here:  

We also have a Meet & Greet scheduled for August 9th.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dog said:

Same thoughts here. I just skim down to read only posts by OP. Like to see some photos along the way. How exciting!!! Safe travels. 

Don't forget that a lot of others in our roll call have agreed to post on this thread as well.  We have to the OP some time to enjoy her vacation.  😉 

• Like 6

Thanks for starting up this thread!

I'm planning on booking the 8/8 Majestic sailing and trying to wade through the constantly shifting guidelines. Have they communicated anything to you about COVID testing pre-embarkation? We'd be flying to Seattle from Boston and SF, so I'm a bit worried about testing positive at the port after picking COVID up in transit. (We're both fully vaxxed.) It's low probability, but it would suck to fly across the country and then have to scramble for hotels for the week.

The Princess website is... not super clear. My best read of their guidelines is that they test everyone at the port in Southampton but they don't do this for vaxxed pax on US cruises who haven't travelled internationally. Our cruise planner said she didn't think they were testing everyone but she wasn't sure, with how quickly guidelines were changing. 

Interested to hear how this was communicated to you, and definitely interested to hear what happens this weekend. Enjoy the cruise! 

As @CruiseRaidersaid lots of answers are coming others on our roll call. Our roll call is public information if you want to know who they are. 

@ThreeDancingMatthewswe have the same information every else does regarding testing. The Princess website Cruise health FAQs states what you’ve posted. So if you are not flying internationally the current protocol is no testing for fully vaxxed. However, the one thing everyone sailing this year should expect is that all health protocols are subject to change at a moment’s notice. By signing the passage contract you’ve agreed to it. I will accept getting tested before boarding if that changes between now and Sunday. 

I have the same concerns as you about testing positive after traveling should I be required to test. Soooooo, out came my Kn95’s and my N95’s. I will wear a pretty cloth mask over one of those while traveling and especially on the plane. I will not take it on and off. If I do have to remove it I will wash/sanitize my hands when putting on a fresh mask. IOW back to full blown covid protection methods. I am also not going to stores or out in public the week before sailing. I am only around a very small fully vaxxed group of 5 family members. I honestly don’t want as much as a cold whilst on this trip. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For those of you who are doing "traditional' dining or one dining reservation for the whole trip- what restaurant is acting as the "traditional" dining room for your cruise? I'm trying to book one reservation, so we'll have the same servers- but it won't let me. I can book one reservation each night at the same time slot, with the same table size- but I have the choice of three restaurants. So I wondered if I put myself into the same location as the "traditional" dining room- if it would increase my odds of having the same servers.

I've had okay service when I've done dine your way- but the servers are less motivated to give exceptional service because you they never see you again. My brother and his wife are joining me in this voyage and i want them to love it! So I'm trying to do everything possible to make it an awesome trip for them. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the dining. 🙂 I appreciate it! 

33 minutes ago, Informatics Nurse said:

For those of you who are doing "traditional' dining or one dining reservation for the whole trip- what restaurant is acting as the "traditional" dining room for your cruise? I'm trying to book one reservation, so we'll have the same servers- but it won't let me. I can book one reservation each night at the same time slot, with the same table size- but I have the choice of three restaurants. So I wondered if I put myself into the same location as the "traditional" dining room- if it would increase my odds of having the same servers.

I've had okay service when I've done dine your way- but the servers are less motivated to give exceptional service because you they never see you again. My brother and his wife are joining me in this voyage and i want them to love it! So I'm trying to do everything possible to make it an awesome trip for them. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the dining. 🙂 I appreciate it! 

We have had access to book in the Concerto or Symphony but someone also mentioned they were opening up the Alegro.  
we’ve had mostly superior service in all the dining rooms … I don’t think it is based on whether or not they will see you again.  But, there is something to be said about building a rapport with the same team of wait staff.  I couldn’t figure out how to make that happen but I kind of like seeing different dining rooms anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Informatics Nurseand @CruiseRaiderwhen I go into DMW the first option is “Reserve The Same Time Each Day”  for the same time each night. That’s how I put in a time and it gave me which MDR was available for the whole cruise. 
Now there’s one more thing I’ve done that I’m not sure if you’ve done so you may want to check. Under Ocean Ready go to My Preferences and go to Dining. Select that you want to eat in the same restaurant every night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And FYI in response to the thread about Majestic being Yellow coded from CDC my PVP said his supervisor gave this reply: (posted with permission)

Hi Jacqueline,

Our activation cruise was just completed TODAY and the CDC has just given us the green light to sail. The website color system is based on old data and we are in touch with the CDC about updating their website.

I have no further information at this time as to when their website will be updated. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1