Re-booked and cannot use the insruance??Help!!

starketcher

I had a cruise booked with an agency. I had trouble working with the agent;he would not lower the price even though a llower price was advertised. Originally, we were taking kids, but now we are not.((Long story, but I, for one, will celebrate teh hgih school graduation!!)) So some changes had to be made to the booking & the original agent was difficult. Eventually, I spoke to a supervisor (he said the booking agent was a bit new), but I cancelled the cruise anyway (May 06). At the time, I wasn't sure and was disappointed that events caused my plans to be cancelled.

Because we were outside of the cancellation period, we were not penalized. I bought insurance when I booked the cruise, the supervisor told me that since I was 10 days past the date I bought the insurance, I could not cancel. But, he said we could use it within the next year.

Retaining the insurance was no problem as I planned to cruise at a future date anyway, just minus the kids. Anyway, I booked a cruise yesterday using another agency. (Like I said, I wanted to celebrate whether the son got to go or not.)

Called CSA today to transfer the insurance. CSA told me that I would have to book with the agency that I bought the insurance with because it was their product. I questioned the girl assisting me but she said the insurance could only be used through that agency, although it was a CSA policy.

I had insurance on 4 people, was going to use 2 of the insurances on the

May cruise and take a shorter one in Dec 06. Now as it stands, it appears

that I may be out $250.

I asked the original agency to re-quote the cruise and they were higher than the other agency. I've been working with an agent that I am now booked with and like him. I REALLY do not want to book with that agency again, though I could use another agent, but the quote I recieved from the supervisor was higher $$ and less cabin.

So I booked with the other agent that I liked. It is the same cruise, even the same dates. The only difference is the price and a better cabin. My "policy" is from CSA, not with the original booking agent. The only difference is that we are not with the agency that I booked with originally. Does that seem right??

I do plan to contact my present agent for his assistance tomorrow. I just

would like to have my "ducks in a row" beforehand.

I've always heard it can't be transfered. Basically your original travel agency has already received the commission from the sale of the insurance and appearantly it's too big a hassel to retreive the commission and apply it to another agency that didn't earn it ect. ect. I know that there are ways they could probably work around that but I don't see it happening. I'm amazed you can transfer the old insurance to a new cruise. I had to change airline tickets due to Katrina last year and wanted to transfer the insurance from the first ticket to the re-issued one and it was like pulling teeth with the insurance agency.

One thing you could try is to ask for a refund from the original travel agency for the cost of the insurance but you know a snow balls chances. Although you like this new agent, perhaps to recoup the insurance, you might ask your original agency to match the price of the new agency on the cruise as well. Just some ideas.

I htought about the commission to the agency, but since the original agency will recieve it, I dont see the big deal with switching room #s and changing the agency name.

I thought about asking the original agency to match the rate and give me my past customer discount, but they were not agreeable to do that when quoting during the change, so I am sure they would not now.

Sounds like a tough situation. You may be out the $250. Lesson learned and shared with all of us, so we learn also.

Something to think about though,,, Your personal time has value. What that value is, is up to you. Do you chaulk it up to experience and write off the $250? or do you put in 10 hours of fighting with this company, blowing your blood pressure out of the sky, and frightening the hubby and kids due to your stress level?

My wife recently purchased some first class upgrade vouchers from American Airlines for $200. AFTER the purchase, she realized that to use these vouchers, they were only good for FULL FARE air travel purchases. Who pays full fare these days? Well, I do on business travel, but thats another story. Anyway, American Airlines refused to refund the $200 after my wife realized the mistake. $200 is alot of money, but it isn't going to break me. It wasn't worth more than 1 or 2 phone calls. We ended up eating the $200.

What ever your decision is, I hope it works out for you

I don't understand. Isn't this a trip insurance policy with a compnay like Travelex? Can't you call the insurance company directly and deal with this?

I had booked my cruise, air, and hotel, and then my travel insurance from Travelex. Then about 6 weeks later, I had to push out my cruise 2 weeks. I simply called Travelex and they said no problem... they would change my begin and end date on the policy... for free. They asked that I fax them in writing my request. It was changed the same day. Wasn't a big deal at all.

VentureMan, that is what I thought would happen too as my insurance was with CSA even though I bought it thru the agency. That is shy I fail to understand why it cannot be switched to this booking??

Call the insurance company directly. I'm not positibe but I think they can probably make the changes themselves and the original agency that sold you the insurance should keep the commission, but it may be adjusted if the premium changed on the policy.

With all due respect, this mess is due to your own willful actions. Remember, the cheapest fare may not be the best value. As a customer you do deserve service; you don't have to like the agent as long as they provide you service.

UMMM, none of this was due my willful action. We were taking my son for a graduation cruise. He did something he should not have done and I took away the graduation present....long story. Thus, we had to re-book the cabins due to the way we split people in the cabins to comply with the age restrictions. The original booking agent cancelled both cabins and when they were going to re-book the single cabin, it was higher than the going rate....and still is!

Many insurance companies such as CSA or Travel Guard, besides offering plans to the general public without regard to the agency the client books with, custom-tailer plans for the use of specific agencies. These are not transferrable to arrangements booked through another agency. You'll really only see this with some of the larger agencies. I know that Access America has developed a plan specifically for AAA of Southern California that is different in coverages, benefits, and pricing from their regular plans. But in order to qualify for the plan you do need to book your arrangements through that AAA affiliate.

Many insurance companies such as CSA or Travel Guard, besides offering plans to the general public without regard to the agency the client books with, custom-tailer plans for the use of specific agencies. These are not transferrable to arrangements booked through another agency. You'll really only see this with some of the larger agencies. I know that Access America has developed a plan specifically for AAA of Southern California that is different in coverages, benefits, and pricing from their regular plans. But in order to qualify for the plan you do need to book your arrangements through that AAA affiliate.

Lesson Learned.

Don't book travel insurance with an travel agency.

I booked mine directly on-line with Travelex. Simple and cheap. And they have given me great service.

That can be a problem with a travel agency vs. booking direct. You may not get the service you desire, and may end up being stuck if you want changes.

Have you tried calling another CSA agent? Maybe you can get around the agent that is not helpful.

Cruiseco, what happened. And yes...it is a lesson learned the hard way. I thought because the insurance is through CSA that the insurance was CSA insurance. I knew not to book CCL insurance and to stay with a major name insurer...This "special product" is very misleading and I would not have booked the insurance through the first agency had I known it was not the standard CSA insurance.

What is so bad about it, I asked all the right questions, even have eamils to support it, regarding who the insurance was through, etc. Still I didnt get what I thought I was getting. I have a call into the supervisor to see if they can switch it to this booking. I am still holding out hope.

I thought because the insurance is through CSA that the insurance was CSA insurance. I knew not to book CCL insurance and to stay with a major name insurer....

Not sure what that means.. but "CCL" insuance is actually through Berkley Care Inc. And no travel insurance company I know of covers the scenario you are describing.

Just a FYI. I used CSA once and was shocked to get my refund check exactly eight (8) days after mailing the required claims documents. I understand that they use to be only a claims processing company for other insurers and decided to enter the insurance business as well.

Cruiseco, what happened. And yes...it is a lesson learned the hard way. I thought because the insurance is through CSA that the insurance was CSA insurance. I knew not to book CCL insurance and to stay with a major name insurer...This "special product" is very misleading and I would not have booked the insurance through the first agency had I known it was not the standard CSA insurance.

What is so bad about it, I asked all the right questions, even have eamils to support it, regarding who the insurance was through, etc. Still I didnt get what I thought I was getting. I have a call into the supervisor to see if they can switch it to this booking. I am still holding out hope.

About your only hope is if the agency contacts CSA in writing stating that it's OK from their end for the policy to be voided. It would have to state that the original booking has been cancelled, there were no cancellation penalties involved, and that there will be no claim against the policy. This would also involve them agreeing to give back to CSA the commission they have already been paid on the original sale. If they will do that then CSA may, on a customer service basis, sell you a new policy for the replacement trip. Just be aware that the coverages will probably be different and the premium could be slightly higher.

You might call CSA ((800) 873-9855) and get the email addresses for Les Maine, the head honcho, and/or Bob Herwig, the VP for National Account Sales. Any agency big enough to have its own policy might be under Bob's domain. Or try them at sales@csatravelprotection.com

Archived