Disembarkation

gcorgain

As a first time Regent cruiser I’m curious how disembarkation works. I assume luggage needs to be out the night before. Is breakfast served? What time can you typically get off? I know there are exceptions, but what is normal. I’m asking because my first Regent cruise ends in San Diego. We will be taking the Amtrak to LA. It is literally across the street from where the cruise ships dock. I can take a 9:50 or an 11:22 train. It is low risk as I can change for free up until 15 minutes before departure from the my phone. I would never book a flight that early, but given that it is a train and literally walking distance from the ship I’m tempted. Thoughts?

You can leave the ship about 15 minutes after it docks. Let the purser know you are going ASAP and they will have your bags in an accessible location. Check your itinerary to see when the ship docs. Customs will be pretty fast early in the AM.

Just one additional thought about your luggage...Nothing necessarily "requires you" to put your luggage outside your room the night before, and say "goodbye" to it .  If the amount of luggage you have is not too "daunting" (in your own estimation), you can simply keep it with you and roll it off the ship with you at the time of disembarkation in the morning, without the need to "hunt for it" after you get off the ship.  It's all up to your own preference.

• Like 5

Just like a plane, allow for any problems. Better safe than sorry. Why rush?

What if customs runs late, what if luggage is late?Have a leisurely breakfast and disembark as late as you can. Get to the train platform and wait and relax. 
Or, book the earlier train and be aware to make the change promptly. 
Two sides of the coin. 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 1

Regent wants you out of your cabin by 8 AM. Regent wants you off the ship no later than 9:30. How soon you can go ashore is dependent upon things beyond Regent control (port unions, U.S. Customs) and in the post-COVID era, who knows!

Sounds like you have nice options. Relax away from the crowd near the gang plank. Maybe you'll make the 9:50 but nice to have a good backup.

• Like 1

If you can change via your phone you shouldn’t have a problem, on for the 9:50AM—should something go wrong make the change and take your time.  For me if I was on the ship, I’d take the later train and enjoy breakfast, and take my time—no need ton get all sweaty.

• Like 1

If this were me, I would plan on the later train, set my bags out the night before, have a nice breakfast,  arrange for a porter to take my bags "across the street" to the train station.  

If make it to the train in time for the early train, good.

• Like 1

I think mj_holiday’s advice is sound. Your major problem may be that San Diego is the first US port after leaving Miami. So a customs and immigration inspection to clear the ship will be necessary there. A couple of years ago, friends were on a Miami to San Francisco cruise which stopped in San Diego. The customs and immigration inspection took place on the ship the morning of disembarkation. This caused a delay of at least an hour or two before passengers could get off the ship for their excursions. This may happen again unless CBP sends agents to Ensenada to get on the ship and conduct inspections the day before arrival.

One other thing to keep in mind is that trains between San Diego and Los Angeles are very popular. If you book an early train and then try to switch to a later train, your alternate choice may not be available and you may have to take an even later train. Personally I would book the 11:22 train or the one around noon.

Dave

• Like 2

If there is a U.S. port prior to the disembarkation port, there generally will be an immigration inspection at that port. Otherwise, anyone who wanted to avoid inspection could just leave the ship at that earlier port.  Customs will likely be at San Diego, but that's usually a breeze-through.