Which foldable travel scooter to purchase?

izdgrama

Our travel life has changed a bit due to modified mobility.  We can continue to cruise with the right scooter for my husband.  Has anyone had experience with a remote control foldable light weight scooter?  We would like to purchase one that can go through the airports to the gate and fold up to charge in our cabin.  It’s very difficult to know which online reviews to believe.  I’m hoping that fellow cruisers might share their thoughts.  Oh, we do not want to rent aboard.  A scooter will be needed for the whole trip.  Thanks so much.

Edited by izdgrama

I used the travelscoot scooter for about 10 years and was very pleased with it. I recently needed to replace it because my post polio progressed and I could no longer step across the middle section. I now own a "fold and go" electric wheelchair. It is also a very well built device. You can google either name for additional information. There is a board on cruise critic called disabled cruisers where you can find additional recommendations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, izdgrama said:

Our travel life has changed a bit due to modified mobility.  We can continue to cruise with the right scooter for my husband.  Has anyone had experience with a remote control foldable light weight scooter?  We would like to purchase one that can go through the airports to the gate and fold up to charge in our cabin.  It’s very difficult to know which online reviews to believe.  I’m hoping that fellow cruisers might share their thoughts.  Oh, we do not want to rent aboard.  A scooter will be needed for the whole trip.  Thanks so much.

Have you been to the Disabled Travel forum?  You'll likely get more replies there.

Edited by pms4104

I purchased a “Luggie” quite a few years ago for my step-dad who had Parkinson’s.  At the time it was the lightest, easiest to fold and transport, etc of any of the competition.  I really liked the design and it performed well for many years. My small stature mom was able to handle getting it in and out of their trunk and folding or opening it back up.

Worked well for them while he was still able to travel by plane.  I think they took it on a couple cruises but that was more to get around in the airport and don’t think he ever used it once on the ship.  He was stubborn about trying to get around without any assistance...

I would have preferred they use on of the super light foldable Elec wheelchairs I had found at the time but he was adamant that he did not need a “wheelchair”.  The Luggie and many scooters are susceptible to tipping over and he did go over once coming down a ramp and made a sharp turn...

Edited by MAKZ06

I will second the travelscoot, not having any experience with others I can't give you comparisons but we have cruised & flowen (domestic & international) with ours.  

We have had a combination of having to gate check or check at counter when flying - depends on airline.  Sometime the battery comes into the cabin, sometimes it is checked (depends on the type of plane). We have a double wine cooler neoprene holder that I unpicked the stiches from and use it to carry the battery.  

On the ship it has been great - small turning circle (which is great for elevators), it is reasonably narrow so able to get past luggage / trolleys in the hallway.  We tend to park the scooter in the wardrobe in our cabin as it is small enough to leave assembled and do so.  Pulling the battery out to charge is as easy as undoing two velcro strips and lifting it from the tray - easy peasy. 

It never fails to turn heads and the waiters love parking it up for us in the restaurant!  My only complaint is that when the speed gauge is turned more to the rabbit than the turtle position I struggle to keep up!!!  

Golden Technologies Buzzaround Carry On.  It was specfically made for cruising.  It will fold flat to 12 inches and fit under a bed in your cabin if you do not have a HC cabin.  If you're going to fly, you need to puchase the smaller FAA compliant battery.  The scooter is about 2000 and the battery adds another 250.  Search for prices...some online places will discount.  We own this scooter, the wife loves it.

I have a small scooter similar to a Pride GoGo. The one I currently have I bought about a year ago. What suits one person is not necessarily matching the needs of another. My current one has suspension, which makes it a much smoother ride than my previous one. 

you need to see if the length is ok and if the seat is comfortable an£ large enough. Is the battery capacity suitable for your needs.

there are quite a few things to consider, so I’d suggest you go to a mobility supplier and try out various models to decide which suits you.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, dappledumpling said:

My wife has the eagle hd power chair. She prefers the power chair to a scooter and states its more responsive.. Folds up nicely and weights about 50 pounds with both batteries.  

Have you parked off site for example ParkNGo in Fort lauderdale with the power chair. If not, how do you get it to the ship

35 minutes ago, aworldtraveler said:

Have you parked off site for example ParkNGo in Fort lauderdale with the power chair. If not, how do you get it to the ship

We use park n go and never had a problem with manual or the folding power chair.. I park at the pier in port canaveral as we have not found an offsite that was hassle free.. Wish park n go was there as well..