Is SeaDream the closest cruise line to sailing on a private yacht?

commodoredave

On 7/19/2021 at 6:15 AM, commodoredave said:

I think so. And I have included SeaDream in my story as an example of one of several small luxury lines that come close to a super-yacht experience at a fraction of the cost. Click on the link to read and comment.

https://gentlemansportion.com/2021/07/19/super-yachting-isnt-just-for-the-super-rich/

This is a very interesting read, but I'll disagree at calling a 65 foot yacht a super yacht, and there are definitely more than 9500 of those, just in US waters.

While we never made it past 43 feet for our own motor yacht before we sold it and started taking cruises, we've met quite a few couples in the US and the Bahamas who have boats larger than 65 feet.

While there's room for a small crew on that size boat, it's too close for a super yacht experience, since there's little privacy. The couples we know prefer to run the boats themselves without crew unless they're taking a long passage, when the crew are experienced boater friends. We have spent time on that size boat with our friends, and totally enjoyed it, but Sea Dream is much more of a luxury experience.

I watch Below Deck (and saw them filming it in the Abacaos a while back, as well as running into the chef that cooked mostly beef cheeks, and said he quit, at the airport in Marsh Harbour). Seeing the drama that occurs on a real super yacht charter makes me not want that experience. Sea Dream is the best yacht lile experience that we'll ever find. And we'll hopefully be doing it again for 2 weeks next spring.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I watch Below Deck (and saw them filming it in the Abacaos a while back, as well as running into the chef that cooked mostly beef cheeks, and said he quit, at the airport in Marsh Harbour). Seeing the drama that occurs on a real super yacht charter makes me not want that experience. Sea Dream is the best yacht lile experience that we'll ever find. And we'll hopefully be doing it again for 2 weeks next spring.

Watching Below Deck has made me NOT want to charter a private yacht (not that I could afford it).  I'd rather not know what the staff thinks of me, and that show makes it seem like there's a lot of trash talking that goes on.  It probably does anywhere, but I'd rather not spend that much money knowing that someone on staff is commenting on my fashion sense, looks, high maintenance quotient, or psychotic aversions to things like mushrooms.  😉 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

This is a very interesting read, but I'll disagree at calling a 65 foot yacht a super yacht, and there are definitely more than 9500 of those, just in US waters.

While we never made it past 43 feet for our own motor yacht before we sold it and started taking cruises, we've met quite a few couples in the US and the Bahamas who have boats larger than 65 feet.

While there's room for a small crew on that size boat, it's too close for a super yacht experience, since there's little privacy. The couples we know prefer to run the boats themselves without crew unless they're taking a long passage, when the crew are experienced boater friends. We have spent time on that size boat with our friends, and totally enjoyed it, but Sea Dream is much more of a luxury experience.

I agree on the length. It should have read "75-ft" not 65 and I have amended accordingly. I found this definition in a story about chartering super yachts. Thanks for alerting me. 

• 2 weeks later...