Why does anyone cruise - I don’t understand

dedalus

We really do not care if  a complete stranger cruises again or does not cruise again.    We are not mind readers nor do we understand others preferences when it comes to international travel.  Zero impact on us.  Nor do we judge or question how or why someone else travels.  No point to it.

We spend 20 hours or so flying to one of our preferred snowbird destinations.  Sure we could zip down to Florida in 7 or Hawaii in 9.   We think nothing of doing 10 hours in an economy seat to a favorite  southern Europe destination.   For us it is a doddle.  And changing our land plans mid trip if an attractive last minute cruise pops up on the screeen.

Everyone has different travel methods and aspirations.  We love a driving vacation but would never consider driving to Florida, let alone snowbirding there.  It  is impossible to have insight into another posters preferences based on one post, one travel experience.

Edited by iancal

9 minutes ago, iancal said:

Everyone has different travel methods and aspirations.  We love a driving vacation but would never consider driving to Florida, let alone snowbirding there.  It  is impossible to have insight into another posters preferences based on one post, one travel experience.

Interesting point..... going somewhere for the better weather.....  something one has never done

For driving trips we would often  head south in winter. ( to somewhere colder ).. for a couple of reasons, its cheaper and not many people, also easy to get bookings... would check the places had good heating.....

and to enjoy walking down a beach 3km which is 300m wide  which you have all to yourself...

Being dressed suitably, and watching the storm approach you, and catch you halfway back... I was dry and warm, but it was on of those moment where you really felt alive...

I have digressed enough... Don

enjoy walking down a beach 3km which is 300m wide  which you have all to yourself...

That is precisely why we like Southern Thailand and parts of Vietnam away from the tourist areas.

Miles and miles of fabulous beaches with a beautiful backdrop. Wonderful people, fabulous local food, and the varied environment.    All at a fraction of cost of what we would pay in Florida, Hawaii, etc. 

Those lower costs, plus the higher costs of those incredible Australian Gold Coast beaches average out. 

The inconvenience of three flight sections  seem to disappear from our memory once we hit the beach or have our first Penang Curry or Pad Thai and a few ice  cold Chang beers at our favourite little local mom, pop, and children outdoor restaurant.

Edited by iancal

People cruise because they like to -- I cruise on ships I like going to places I want to go.   The sooner you identify the ships and itineraries you like, the sooner you will enjoy cruising -- my problem is that more and more cruise ships repel me, and all the easy itineraries are stale (or ruined by over-use) so my reasons for cruising have become narrower and more specific..

Some people should not cruise - the same way some people should not marry:  you should know what you are getting into when you book a cruise  --- and it seems that OP did not. 

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

People cruise because they like to -- I cruise on ships I like going to places I want to go.   The sooner you identify the ships and itineraries you like, the sooner you will enjoy cruising -- my problem is that more and more cruise ships repel me, and all the easy itineraries are stale (or ruined by over-use) so my reasons for cruising have become narrower and more specific..

Some people should not cruise - the same way some people should not marry:  you should know what you are getting into when you book a cruise  --- and it seems that OP did not. 

And unfortunately what you are getting into is not as clear as it once was as Covid protocols change it seems constantly.

On 7/25/2021 at 5:53 PM, Mary229 said:

I am a very experienced road traveler.   I have driven for business and leisure very far distances.  It was nothing for me to clock 6000 miles on an excursion.  We pretty much covered North America in full.  Here are my reasons for cruising

1. flying is not a lot of fun

2. driving vacations require attention to detail and becoming a logistical expert.   
3. driving vacations require driving.  That is wasted time.  Cruises sail at night when I am sleeping 

4. some parts of the earth are best visited from the water. This was probably our biggest original motivation.

I have done road trips during the pandemic and it is far less enjoyable also.  There are many attractions closed, restaurants aren’t fully staffed, hotels have strict regulations and the places that are open are over visited.  One of the joys of off season road trip is enjoying those wonderful places, like the north rim of the Grand Canyon, with no one on the trail except you and your companions.  

I have been to Yellowstone on a winter snow mobile trip.  It was certainly cold but think there were maybe 20 of us at Old Faithful and half were my snow mobile group.  It was great.

DON

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have been to Yellowstone on a winter snow mobile trip.  It was certainly cold but think there were maybe 20 of us at Old Faithful and half were my snow mobile group.  It was great.

DON

I am hoping to slip away to Yellowstone this fall if the crowds ease up.  Americans have rediscovered the great outdoors.