What is your Style of Cream Cheese for your Breakfast needs........

BklynBoy8

21 hours ago, geoherb said:

I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese with my smoked salmon. And I don't get a bagel either. I like it on rye toast with sliced avocado. But on Princess they already have the smoked salmon plated with the little balls of cream cheese, capers, onions, and tomato, and occasionally I'll spread a little bit on the toast before topping it with the salmon and avocado. 

I do like some cream cheese with smoked salmon, but I don't really go for the bagel. Royal Caribbean has a wonderful grainy dark bread that is usually sliced somewhat thinner, and it makes a perfect base for cream cheese, smoked salmon, and capers, for my taste, anyway.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:55 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, you said you don't get it when it comes to the bagel........in that case I can explain......

You either "get it or you don't"

Well said, I think.  I am among those who "don't get it" as to bagels.  

When I was teaching, my Principal would often have an early morning Staff Meeting and he would supply coffee and some pastries for us.  Bagels and cream cheese would usually make an appearance.  He would call them "stale donuts" to which I agreed.  

I keep wondering, though:  what am I missing about bagels?  I have purchased some from a quality local bakery just to answer that question.  I still "don't get it".  

If I am going to eat more carbs than I ought, I'll do so with doughnuts!  

On 9/23/2021 at 4:42 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

a wonderful grainy dark bread that is usually sliced somewhat thinner, and it makes a perfect base for cream cheese, smoked salmon, and capers,

Agree.  I like smoked salmon with a smear of cream cheese on a high quality dark bread, maybe capers or a bit of onion:  good eating.  

On 9/23/2021 at 4:42 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

I do like some cream cheese with smoked salmon, but I don't really go for the bagel. Royal Caribbean has a wonderful grainy dark bread that is usually sliced somewhat thinner, and it makes a perfect base for cream cheese, smoked salmon, and capers, for my taste, anyway.

Grainy Dark Bread is typically used with a Great especially Homemade Gravlax 

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Well said, I think.  I am among those who "don't get it" as to bagels.  

When I was teaching, my Principal would often have an early morning Staff Meeting and he would supply coffee and some pastries for us.  Bagels and cream cheese would usually make an appearance.  He would call them "stale donuts" to which I agreed.  

I keep wondering, though:  what am I missing about bagels?  I have purchased some from a quality local bakery just to answer that question.  I still "don't get it".  

If I am going to eat more carbs than I ought, I'll do so with doughnuts!  

Unfortunately you don't have the daily opportunity to experience each day a NYC Bagel.

Yes some people make things that resemble a Bagel but far it. I can't stand these bakery and bread company brands that are like bread or donuts or cake.

A true bagel made is an art and fun to watch being made.

We like it several hours after made. Especially lightly toasted with true butter, whipped not solid cc or proper jelly or jam.

NY'ers like eating bagels like potato chips. And it is a NY Sin to remove the interior of a proper bagel that is properly made and density just right.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:53 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately you don't have the daily opportunity to experience each day a NYC Bagel.

When we go to NYC we bring home two or three dozen, slice in half, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. We've just moved to Seattle and are in search of bagels. Got a couple today that weren't bad at all. And I don't care what anyone says it's just GOT to be the water 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, clo said:

When we go to NYC we bring home two or three dozen, slice in half, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. We've just moved to Seattle and are in search of bagels. Got a couple today that weren't bad at all. And I don't care what anyone says it's just GOT to be the water 🙂

It is the water......totally....

We have a Pizza joint that moved to NJ and when we went he made arrangements to have a tanker truck deliver water to him in NJ. And yes, the Pizza is the same as in Brooklyn. Same products, water and dough and oven.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, uncleboo said:

LOVE A GOOD BAGEL CAN NOT BE FOUND ON cruise ships/ anytype of cream cheese will work with my smoked salmon

I know that many who participate on this thread appreciate a good bagel.  I will eat them, but, I prefer a well made croissant as my breakfast bread.  I agree that cream cheese will help to "smother" a poor bagel.  (Ever had the bagel that is served on Amtrak?)  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, uncleboo said:

LOVE A GOOD BAGEL CAN NOT BE FOUND ON cruise ships/ anytype of cream cheese will work with my smoked salmon

I'm just as happy with rye toast, grilled English muffin or white toast with my smoked salmon…doesn’t have to be a bagel.  Ships use frozen bagels of dubious quality.  I can’t remember any memorable bagel onboard a ship.  My favorites are Asiago or everything…with or without the smoked salmon.  Any kind of cream cheese is good but with chives is always nice.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 5:13 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I'm just as happy with rye toast, grilled English muffin or white toast with my smoked salmon…doesn’t have to be a bagel.  Ships use frozen bagels of dubious quality.  I can’t remember any memorable bagel onboard a ship.  My favorites are Asiago or everything…with or without the smoked salmon.  Any kind of cream cheese is good but with chives is always nice.

CGT,

We did actually got the real thing on the Mary 2 on our sailings. But only two type, Plain or Everything.

Sometimes I will make for a dinner in the summer something light like open face fingers with white bread. Then CC, Thin Slice of Onion, Salmon. Never tried another cheese in place. 

Cream Cheese with fresh chives from the garden is the TREAT!.  Some of our deli's make their own homemade CC. Salmon, Chives & Spring Onion or Veggie's are great to name few. 

Asiago is more for a melting like Fontina with Smoke Ham on  open face French Loaf.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT,

We did actually got the real thing on the Mary 2 on our sailings. But only two type, Plain or Everything.

Sometimes I will make for a dinner in the summer something light like open face fingers with white bread. Then CC, Thin Slice of Onion, Salmon. Never tried another cheese in place. 

Cream Cheese with fresh chives from the garden is the TREAT!.  Some of our deli's make their own homemade CC. Salmon, Chives & Spring Onion or Veggie's are great to name few. 

Asiago is more for a melting like Fontina with Smoke Ham on  open face French Loaf.

I'm getting hungry!  Looks like I’ll have to get onboard QM 2!  I love Asiago bagels grilled with butter…truly fattening and artery clogging…lol.  Now add cream cheese and chives to that and you’ll have a heart attack special!  

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I'm getting hungry!  Looks like I’ll have to get onboard QM 2!  I love Asiago bagels grilled with butter…truly fattening and artery clogging…lol.  Now add cream cheese and chives to that and you’ll have a heart attack special!  

CGT,

In Brooklyn or NYC we would called heros or dishes like this on Take Out Menus

the "Cardiac Arrest".... 

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I personally prefer Whipped for Lox or Smoke Salmon.

Flavor locally made, I like Vegetable, Scallion, Cinn Raisin.

Sometimes I use CC for making Fruit/CC turnovers. A little in the puff pastry w a fruit jelly or puree. YUM!

Vegetable and scallion

• Like 1