Bring your own water?

Can you still take a 12 pack of water or soda in your carry on bag? In the old days I would put a bag tag on a case of water not in suite case and porters would put it on the cart with the bags. No problems water always arrived at state room. Going on the Allure in sept.. Thanks.

From Royals website. It needs to be in your carry-on.

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted.”

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

To save a few dollars?  Better purchase on the ship.  Why lug around heavy cans/bottles?  It is your vacation, you deserve to make totally special.

While I generally agree with this according to Royal's site they sell 6 to 24 water cans for the stateroom. I know that water bottles are available from the bar, but don't know how much they are (we had the drink package). I would want the water bottles to take ashore so if I couldn't get a case of them delivered to the cabin I would consider bringing some.

2 minutes ago, gerif said:

And remember, people were drinking the ship’s water for many years before anyone thought to drink bottled water. I did then and still do. 

I drink the ship's water on the ship but take bottled water with me ashore. I think refillable ones can be used but the sealed water bottles have no security concerns and don't need to be brought back empty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, matj2000 said:

By looking at all the other passengers

It doesn't look like people even drink water.......

You must not look too closely, I saw a great many people drinking water throughout the cruise (not including the ice in their drinks, of course 😉)

I've never bothered to bring water/soda before but sometimes it's not about the money.  Rather it can be because the cruise line does not stock something you prefer to drink.  Example:  I drink gin and tonics BUT I'm doing KETO now, which means that I want DIET tonic.  (And, yes, you can drink alcohol on KETO).  While I'm sure the ship will have plenty of gin, I doubt they will have diet tonic.  It can be hard to find even on land.  Since our next cruise is from our home port I am considering bringing it for the first time.

Edited by Travelling2Some
typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I drink the ship's water on the ship but take bottled water with me ashore. I think refillable ones can be used but the sealed water bottles have no security concerns and don't need to be brought back empty.

We drink ship water too.  We take a camel back for shore excursions and fill it up with ice cold water on ship.  Works great!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

To save a few dollars?  Better purchase on the ship.  Why lug around heavy cans/bottles?  It is your vacation, you deserve to make totally special.

Circumstances change over time, even for the same person.  When we were working and raising kids vacation time was so precious that we didn't care what we spent.  Now we are retired and take long trips  frequently - on a permanent vacation more or less.  It's not so "special" that we want to empty our wallets without a good reason now.  We also want what we are used to more on a day-to-day basis since this is a lifestyle.  You can't take it with you but you can leave it to your children and we have darn good kids:)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I've taken a full 24 pack case before with no issues (other than sore arms from lugging it around the ship until cabins were ready)

Out of Port Everglades and Boston they counted my carry on Bottles 18months ago. 

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

I've never bothered to bring water/soda before but sometimes it's not about the money.  Rather it can be because the cruise line does not stock something you prefer to drink.  Example:  I drink gin and tonics BUT I'm doing KETO now, which means that I want DIET tonic.  (And, yes, you can drink alcohol on KETO).  While I'm sure the ship will have plenty of gin, I doubt they will have diet tonic.  It can be hard to find even on land.  Since our next cruise is from our home port I am considering bringing it for the first time.

👍🏼

18 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Circumstances change over time, even for the same person.  When we were working and raising kids vacation time was so precious that we didn't care what we spent.  Now we are retired and take long trips  frequently - on a permanent vacation more or less.  It's not so "special" that we want to empty our wallets without a good reason now.  We also want what we are used to more on a day-to-day basis since this is a lifestyle.  You can't take it with you but you can leave it to your children and we have darn good kids:)

Fortunately, our kids are now all professionals and do not need to wait for our money. They all want us to enjoy travel and pamper ourselves as long as we can!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, loman said:

I like to travel light and wouldnt be shlepping a case of water around with me for a few hours on the ship to save a few bucks . 

It's not a few bucks, the water package they sell online it's $45 + gratuities. I can and have brought 12x1L Evian boxes for $15. We have been lucky, given people here seem to think it's not possible, that porters have allowed us to put a bag tag on it (3 different times) and it's delivered to our room. But even if next time they don't allow us to check it in, we have a roller carry-on we can stuff the bottles in. No more and no less inconvenient than having to push around your normal carry-on bag until rooms are available.

46 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Fortunately, our kids are now all professionals and do not need to wait for our money. They all want us to enjoy travel and pamper ourselves as long as we can!  

Our children insist we enjoy what we have earned.  They repeatedly say to go, travel and enjoy our lives because we worked so hard for it.

We have great kids!!  😘

• Like 1

Bottled water is the biggest scam there is. Try and convince me all you want why you need it, it tastes amazing, convenience, etc. People pay hundreds a year for something that is literally free. Even more reason why I hate lugging around a heavy pallet of water. I'll bring my insulated water bottle and fill it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

You must not look too closely, I saw a great many people drinking water throughout the cruise (not including the ice in their drinks, of course 😉)

Not very many look like they drink water.

Sugary drinks yes, water, no.. 

Cruise passengers are not the healthiest...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Bottled water is the biggest scam there is. Try and convince me all you want why you need it, it tastes amazing, convenience, etc. People pay hundreds a year for something that is literally free. Even more reason why I hate lugging around a heavy pallet of water. I'll bring my insulated water bottle and fill it.

Depends upon your place of residence- many people do not have safe drinking water in our country.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Not very many look like they drink water.

Sugary drinks yes, water, no.. 

Cruise passengers are not the healthiest...

US citizens aren't the healthiest when you get right down to it.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, coldflame said:

It's not a few bucks, the water package they sell online it's $45 + gratuities. I can and have brought 12x1L Evian boxes for $15. We have been lucky, given people here seem to think it's not possible, that porters have allowed us to put a bag tag on it (3 different times) and it's delivered to our room. But even if next time they don't allow us to check it in, we have a roller carry-on we can stuff the bottles in. No more and no less inconvenient than having to push around your normal carry-on bag until rooms are available.

As I said, we had the drink package when we sailed with Royal, I never looked at the price. That price point makes it worth it to bring some.