Bring your own water?

9 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Bottled water is the biggest scam there is. Try and convince me all you want why you need it, it tastes amazing, convenience, etc. People pay hundreds a year for something that is literally free. Even more reason why I hate lugging around a heavy pallet of water. I'll bring my insulated water bottle and fill it.

People will pay quite a bit for convenience and the only scam would be if people were led to believe they were buying something they weren't getting (i.e. they thing they are getting spring water and it's only filtered tap water). I will say that DW hates water and won't drink it, but she does tolerate bottled water.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, coldflame said:

It's not a few bucks, the water package they sell online it's $45 + gratuities.

That is not correct.  I just looked at the cruise planner for an upcoming sailing.  The 12-bottle Dasani package is $15+gratuity.  When I added it to the cart, it was $11+gratuity (I believe I get a discount because of C&A level)  The 24-bottle package was $17+gratuity in the cart (again, I may have a discount).

Weighed against the hassle of bringing water on board, I'm calling that "a few bucks."

We used to lug on soda and water and then carry it around as we explored the ship and ate lunch before the room was ready.  It was a great workout, but very inconvenient.  If there is anything I don’t want on a vacation it is inconvenience.

21 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Depends upon your place of residence- many people do not have safe drinking water in our country.

Where is that?

Other than personal wells that are contaminated.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:58 PM, Joebucks said:

Bottled water is the biggest scam there is. Try and convince me all you want why you need it, it tastes amazing, convenience, etc. People pay hundreds a year for something that is literally free. Even more reason why I hate lugging around a heavy pallet of water. I'll bring my insulated water bottle and fill it.

Who is water free for? I turn on my faucet, whatever water that comes out I pay for at the end of the month

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Who is water free for? I turn on my faucet, whatever water that comes out I pay for at the end of the month

Even if someone has a well they still need to pay to have the well installed and for maintenance. I suppose there might be some people who still go to the nearby stream with a bucket to get their water (but they still have to buy the bucket😉).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Where is that?

Not having drinking water isn't normally national news but there are a good number of localities that for one reason or another don't have safe drinking water at one time or another. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Where is that?

Lots of residential water sources are "CONTAMINATED" as it depends on how you interpret the term.

Look at the water test reports from your local supplier.

The water you drink comes from surface water or from wells drilled into local aquifers. Depending on where these sources are, the amount and variety of chemicals is eye opening.

Sure for the most part the levels fall within ranges considered to be safe but still either taste terrible or clog you pipes and coffee machines with mineral deposits.

So what level of organic or inorganic contaminants is REALLY safe ?

18 hours ago, DCPIV said:

That is not correct.  I just looked at the cruise planner for an upcoming sailing.  The 12-bottle Dasani package is $15+gratuity.  When I added it to the cart, it was $11+gratuity (I believe I get a discount because of C&A level)  The 24-bottle package was $17+gratuity in the cart (again, I may have a discount).

Weighed against the hassle of bringing water on board, I'm calling that "a few bucks."

That is much more reasonable.

44 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Lots of residential water sources are "CONTAMINATED" as it depends on how you interpret the term.

Look at the water test reports from your local supplier.

The water you drink comes from surface water or from wells drilled into local aquifers. Depending on where these sources are, the amount and variety of chemicals is eye opening.

Sure for the most part the levels fall within ranges considered to be safe but still either taste terrible or clog you pipes and coffee machines with mineral deposits.

So what level of organic or inorganic contaminants is REALLY safe ?

You are talking the WRONG person to get into that discussion.  I have been a professional in occupational health and safety for 37years. 😄

I am using for "safe", does it meet EPA drinking water standards. Does that really mean it is safe?  No.  Does not meeting those standards make it not safe?  NO.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:00 AM, sparks1093 said:

I know that water bottles are available from the bar, but don't know how much they are (we had the drink package).

If you have either the alcohol packages or the refreshment package it includes bottled water.  We've gotten our money's worth from the drinks package just on the water alone - bottles at meals, sparkling at dinner, and we get takeaway bottles from bars for shore excursions, to have in our room to brush our teeth, take to the gym, etc.  If you're not getting the drink package then I understand the question to bring your own water but not if you're already paying for unlimited bottled water (and wine and beer and cocktails..)

Just went to a local hospital and all the drinking fountains were capped and not allowed to be used.  I stopped in at the cafe and they were selling bottled water @ $1.90 each.  Had to look out the window to make sure I wasn't on a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, SRF said:

You are talking the WRONG person to get into that discussion.  I have been a professional in occupational health and safety for 37years. 😄

I am using for "safe", does it meet EPA drinking water standards. Does that really mean it is safe?  No.  Does not meeting those standards make it not safe?  NO.

Was I addressing you or your expertise in drinking water quality ? NO

I was simply showing how, to different people in different circumstances the term SAFE may mean different things.

Is water SAFE that has been processed through a water softener or other filters to remove things like calcium, magnesium,  sulfur or chlorine ?. Is removing chlorine by using a filter in a water pitcher effective at removing Chloramines ? Does the increased amount of sodium in most softened water have deleterious effects on certain people and even their pets? 

Are high levels of various nitrogen compounds that have been increasing in our aquifers for almost a hundred years from farming methods a concern or is it just to neighboring wells.

Am I wrong to simply advise people to look at what they are drinking and decide what is safe for them and their families.

I was an industrial chemist with an additional degree in pharmacology and have been retired from the medical field after 40+ years. 

42 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I wasn't talking about me.

It was an observation that I have made over many cruises...

I'll guarantee you aren't talking about me either. No kidding! That's why I attached the Emoji. 🙄Your observations and especially your comment are not 100% accurate. 

On 7/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, Travelling2Some said:

Circumstances change over time, even for the same person.  When we were working and raising kids vacation time was so precious that we didn't care what we spent.  Now we are retired and take long trips  frequently - on a permanent vacation more or less.  It's not so "special" that we want to empty our wallets without a good reason now.  We also want what we are used to more on a day-to-day basis since this is a lifestyle.  You can't take it with you but you can leave it to your children and we have darn good kids:)

Fortunately all of our four sons are professionals and can take care of themselves and their families.  They do not need our  money,  and in fact are in positions to take us on vacation now!   We take care of ourselves  and fortunately do not need their help.  They encourage us to spend our money and enjoy!  I have seen many of my friends scrimp and save for "their old age" and some haven't lived or are well enough to enjoy it.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, coldflame said:

It's not a few bucks, the water package they sell online it's $45 + gratuities. 

On 7/21/2021 at 11:58 AM, DCPIV said:

On 7/22/2021 at 6:09 AM, sparks1093 said:

That is much more reasonable.

Great that they have reduced the price now.

Much more reasonable.  Carnival sells a 12 bottle pack for $4.99.  No need to carry on water.

• Like 1