IGUAZU FALLS pre cruise

seaver

I have not done it with SS but did it on a land trip. The falls are amazing and the hotel on site has views of the falls. It is a worthwhile trip. If India opens in Nov. we just paid in full and opted for the Taj Mahal post cruise. I was a little reluctant to spend another $7,000 but my sweetie, who visited the Taj a long time ago, convinced me it was worth seeing. I would consider Iguazu Falls in the same vein.

The falls are massive and spectacular.  Personally I would never do this as a cruise excursion because you are exploited price-wise and chained to the itinerary.   You need to stay at least three nights.  To begin with the weather is unpredictable and usually lousy so you need the days to give yourself a fair chance of viewing the area at its best (we stayed 4nights).  Then you need to see the falls from both the Argentinian and the Brazilian side.  They are quite different.  The Argentinian side is up close and personal  and extremely wet.  You will get soaked and also covered in butterflies.  You can sort of walk there, plus a little train ride, from the main hotel, a hideous building from the outside that has great views.  The Brazilian side offers the grand panoramic views of the falls that everyone wants to see.   It's a surprisingly long drive to the border.  Also on that side is the best hotel in the immediate area, the Belmond Cataract. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would second Fletchers advice.We stayed at the hideous hotel on the Argentinian side.Far from hideous inside and waking looking out over the falls was fantastic.Personally I would think of staying 2 nights in Brazil at the Belmond then 2 nights in Argentina at the Sheraton.

And much better to not do it on a Silversea excursion.

• Like 1

If you like someone to arrange it part of your Cruise.  If you stay at the Four Seasons in Bueno Areas, they will set you up with a private tour of the falls all within one day, including a boat ride under the falls. If I remember right it was a 12 hour day. 

• Like 1

We did Iguazu independently for Chris's birthday a few years ago. We saw the "hideous" hotel on the Argentinean side and ate breakfast there but did not stay. It is a nice place and the breakfast buffet is spectacular. It's a Melia Hotel. Agree that the Belmond on the Brazilian side is prettier.

We stayed with in a smaller luxury lodge called "Awasi Iquazu" which was maybe 10 minutes from the park but it was amazing. And the best part is that the rate includes a private tour guide who is with you for the duration of your stay, and drives you wherever you want to go in a jeep. So it's just the three of you on tour and you set your own itinerary.

Our guide took us to the Argentinean side a few times for different hikes and views. By eating breakfast at the Hotel we were able to enter the park before it opened so crowds were minimal. It's a great trick and they take full advantage of it.

And she did take us to the Brazilian side as well. It's a long drive as the route is very circuitous. The guides at Awasi know all of the tricks and really made our visit something special to remember for a long time. I would highly recommend them.

Details in my blog, https://happybirthdaychrystina.blogspot.com/, days 14-16 cover Iguazu.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.I am on the fence as to do myself or go with Silversea.

What makes it hard they do all the work and I don't have to!
Price is $1700.00 PP  and includes a lot ( see below).
On the the other hand your time is limited at the falls.

IGUAZU FALLS

Code: 03PREBUEIF

Please check with your travel professional for details regarding visa requirements for Argentina and Brazil. Participants in this program should schedule their arrival flight into Buenos Aires International Airport

DAY 1 - BUENOS AIRES

Arriving at Ezeiza International Airport you are met by the local Silversea representative and transferred to the hotel. Following check-in, the balance of the day is at your leisure.

Dinner is on your own account.

Overnight at the Alvear Palace - Buenos Aires

DAY 2 - BUENOS AIRES / IGUAZU FALLS

Following breakfast this morning, check out and transfer to the Buenos Aires Domestic airport for your flight to Iguazu. Pack a small overnight bag to take with you. The remainder of your luggage will be stored at the hotel until you return from Iguazu.

Upon arrival in Iguazú proceed to the Melia Iguazú Hotel, located inside the Iguazú National Park on the Argentinean side and the only hotel facing the spectacular Falls. Enjoy a buffet lunch at the hotel. In the afternoon take a tour of the Argentine side of the falls. From catwalks and observatories marvel at this magnificent spectacle of nature. A tram transfer takes you to the balcony of Garganta del Diablo (Devil's Throat) where the river crashes down almost 260 feet forming many colourful rainbows. Afterwards, return to the hotel.

This evening enjoy dinner at the hotel and your accommodations in a room offering views of the falls.

Overnight at the Melia Iguazu Hotel - Iguazu Falls

DAY 3 - IGUAZU FALLS / BUENOS AIRES

This morning enjoy breakfast at the hotel and relax amid the beauty of the national park before venturing over to the Brazilian side. What the Foz do Iguazcu lacks in size compared to its Argentinian counterpart, it makes up for with fantastic observational opportunities. Take a glass lift to the top viewing deck of the boardwalk, where you can walk along the edge of the panoramic pours. Enjoy the amazing views of the falls with minimal water sprays!

Lunch at the hotel will be provided before your transfer to the airport for your flight back to Buenos Aires. Upon arrival, return to the Alvear Palace for check-in, where your stored luggage is waiting. Dinner is on your own this evening.

Overnight at the Alvear Palace - Buenos Aires

DAY 4 - BUENOS AIRES

Rise early this morning and check-out of the hotel. Transfer to the Buenos Aires pier where your Silversea staff are waiting to welcome you on board.

Program Inclusions:

• Two nights at the Alvear Palace- Buenos Aires
  • One night at the Melial Iguazú Hotel, on the Argentinean side of the falls 
  • Please Note: this property was selected for its superior views of the falls; accommodations are functional rather than luxurious
  • Included Meals: 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinner
  • Economy-class flights: Buenos Aires / Iguazú / Buenos Aires
  • Visits to Iguazú Falls on both Argentinean and Brazilian side
  • Transfers between airport, hotel and pier in air-conditioned vehicles
  • Please note that order of visits may differ

Flight Details:

Days 2 & 3: Buenos Aires / Iguazú / Buenos Aires. Flight duration is approximately 1 hour and 55 minutes.

Wow - that Silversea is certainly rushed but it does check the boxes apart from the price.  The Melia -formerly a Sheraton - is far better than it needs to be. I remember laughing when we checked in because one of my aims on the trip was to photograph a toucan. I thought that might be a tough call.  Then I looked out from our balcony and saw several dozen in the hotel gardens.  Anyway, here are shots of the hotel from the falls and a shot of the falls from the hotel (the pool by the way teemed with bats at night).

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 2

We did the tour to Iguazu from BA on our own and stayed at the Sheraton along with the Silversea folks.  We were only there for one night and two fairly full days.  Our return flight to BA was cancelled due to weather and we miraculously got seats on the last flight out that night.   We got back to our hotel in BA at 3 am thankful that we had kept that room for the night we were gone.  Had we not gotten home that night we would have had to catch up with the ship in Montevideo.  On the Silversea tour, they would have taken care of that for you.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, jpalbny said:

We stayed with in a smaller luxury lodge called "Awasi Iquazu" which was maybe 10 minutes from the park but it was amazing. And the best part is that the rate includes a private tour guide who is with you for the duration of your stay, and drives you wherever you want to go in a jeep. So it's just the three of you on tour and you set your own itinerary.

Have you by chance been to the other two Awasi hotels ?  Pre COVID we were considering a trip to all 3 of their hotels - Iguazu, Torres Del Paine & Atacama.  We went a bit lukewarm on them as we were concerned about the amount of high altitude trips in Atacama & Torres Del Paine, and felt that the whole set up including tours was more suited to a younger clientele than ourselves (early 60's).

To connect to the OP we had previously considered a Pre cruise to Iguazu but decided there was more for us to do in South America so a land tour was more suitable.

1 minute ago, machotspur said:

Have you by chance been to the other two Awasi hotels ?

Yes, and they are spectacular! 

My blog (linked above) has information about all 3, including the tours that we did, the food, and the logistics of getting from one to the other.

We would go back tomorrow if we could.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:34 PM, carefreecruise said:

If you like someone to arrange it part of your Cruise.  If you stay at the Four Seasons in Bueno Areas, they will set you up with a private tour of the falls all within one day, including a boat ride under the falls. If I remember right it was a 12 hour day. 

I can recommend this as well but of course I’m a bigger fan of 4S than SS!

On 7/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, Fletcher said:

Also on that side is the best hotel in the immediate area, the Belmond Cataract. 

We stayed there maybe 25 years ago pre-Belmond and it was stunning.