Off ship excursions

lbfluffy

Just now, lbfluffy said:

Is it safe to book off ship excursions with the pandemic still present? Or do we need to book from our ship. We will be sailing on the Majestic on December 4th.

I think only you can determine whether you feel it is safe or not.  Some cruise lines have required ship only shore excursions (especially if you are unvaccinated), but this is becoming less and less common if you are fully vaccinated.  The rules kept changing for our cruise we're taking in July, but we can explore the port or do independent excursions if we'd like.  I'd say check with your cruise line and be prepared for it to change (I can see things changing either way between now and December, honestly).  

2 hours ago, jas283a said:

I think only you can determine whether you feel it is safe or not.  Some cruise lines have required ship only shore excursions (especially if you are unvaccinated), but this is becoming less and less common if you are fully vaccinated.  The rules kept changing for our cruise we're taking in July, but we can explore the port or do independent excursions if we'd like.  I'd say check with your cruise line and be prepared for it to change (I can see things changing either way between now and December, honestly).  

Thank you. This will be our first cruise since the pandemic. We have always done independent shore excursion, but I’m hesitant now. 

• Like 1

I think it comes down to your own comfort level.  We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year (were there all last winter) as do 10s of thousands of other gringos (mostly from the USA and Canada).   In the past 15 years of living in PV (10 weeks a year) we have never "booked an excursion" or found the need for a tour (with the exceptions of a sailing day and once going to the Rhythms of the NIght show).  

So I would tell the OP that if you do not "feel safe" then book an excursion.  If you feel safe and have some spirit of adventure then simply go off the ship on your own and do whatever you please :).  If you want to book a local tour then go for it!   Mexico is open for business (although there is a big COVID presence).  As long as your cruise ship does not impose its own port restrictions the decision is entirely in your own court.

Just one caution.  There are a few shore tour operators that will not accept reservations from cruisers.  This happens because those tour providers have contracts with cruise lines and feel restricted on allowing cruisers to book directly with them (often at less cost).  A good example is Vallarta Adventures (Puerto Vallarta) which usually wants a local address or phone number in their reservations process.

Hank

On 7/20/2021 at 5:06 PM, lbfluffy said:

Thank you. This will be our first cruise since the pandemic. We have always done independent shore excursion, but I’m hesitant now. 

You live in Los Banos, it isn't like this will be your only chance to do the Mexican Riviera. I won't be doing independent excursions in Mexico until I am sure we are on the other side of the pandemic. I've done the Mex Riviera so many times, either on ships or just visiting, if (when) I do a Mex Riviera cruise it will be for the ship, not the ports.

We have done the Mexican Riviera multiple times. We have decided to go with  Vallarta Adventures and do Las Caletas. We have done that tour in the past. We have OBC so we used that to pay. We decided to get off in Cabo just to walk to the liquor store. 
‘Thank you all.

• 1 month later...

We are supposed to dock in 3 MX ports this Oct just prior to Panama Canal.  Our itinerary has changed drastically from when we booked in July due to Covid & other port restrictions.  We sail next week... Usually we go out on our own, but this time we have booked all ship sponsored tours.  This is my level of caution: wear a mask while inside buildings or in close contact with others.  Be prepared for more itinerary changes due to the constant changes in protocols & other factors.  I think the cruise lines are doing what they can to keep us safe, but they also need the revenue.  All these ports need our tourist dollars too, so they are doing what they can to keep their people & tourists safe.

28 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

This is my level of caution: wear a mask while inside buildings or in close contact with others.  Be prepared for more itinerary changes due to the constant changes in protocols & other factors.

Take a lot of mini bottles of Purell Advanced Hand Sanitizer and maybe 1 big bottle and sanitize your hands every time you get on or off the bus and when you go into stores and coming out, etc.

44 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Take a lot of mini bottles of Purell Advanced Hand Sanitizer and maybe 1 big bottle and sanitize your hands every time you get on or off the bus and when you go into stores and coming out, etc.

Yes I will pack sanitizer, but not a lot.  Washing hands frequently is good enough for us.

14 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Yes I will pack sanitizer, but not a lot.  Washing hands frequently is good enough for us.

My point was, on bus excursions you might not have access to places to wash your hands a lot. Getting off a bus and touching the handrail as you step down, that was just touched by 50 other passengers, you might not be able to wash your hands immediately. Same thing getting back on the bus.