Guaranteed Cabin Question - QM2

stoogesmom

We are booked with a guaranteed cabin assignment for January 2023 World Cruise on Queen Mary 2.  I see they are currently still selling some cabins.  Would we be better calling and trying to get one of these "open" cabins or waiting to see what we get when our guaranteed cabin is assigned?  Maybe we will get upgraded...😁?

4 hours ago, stoogesmom said:

We are booked with a guaranteed cabin assignment for January 2023 World Cruise on Queen Mary 2.  I see they are currently still selling some cabins.  Would we be better calling and trying to get one of these "open" cabins or waiting to see what we get when our guaranteed cabin is assigned?  Maybe we will get upgraded...😁?

We tried it on the last sailing since our travel agent thought with our Diamond Level and Cunard History would get us a upgrade with to Princess or better. But did not and still remained in the category we booked. So will said Cunard is a very hard line to get upgrades.

This next sailing we directly selected a cabin but did consent to be considered for a upgrade. This way if no upgrade we still have a cabin assigned and not a wild card.

If you are paying less to be "guaranteed fare" then it is a gamble only you can take and we all dream of the "fantastic upgrade" but it very rarely happens and what actually might be an upgrade might not be happy for you. If the price is same as Cunard fare then I dont see the risk of taking it and like already said if I was paying out a large sum of money for a world cruise I would want to know what cabin I was in because if you get a poor cabin it could ruin the whole experience. I think you might find that if you ring and ask about booking a cabin and choosing a number then you will more than likely have to pay a lot more.

I must agree with Lissie. I did an entire World Cruise a few years back and YoYo and I conferred extensively about the best cabin; I declined a later offer of an upgrade. My choice with YoYo’s help was perfect. When I’m on QM2 my superb TA knows what I want as to deck and location. When you are laying out the cost of a very long cruise choose carefully -and when you get what you desire - stick to it.😊 

In determining what is a good or bad cabin your personal ability to roll with the punches or inability to ignore a minor noise or location is the real issue.

In my opinion simply being on the 2023 QM2 world cruise says there are no bad cabins. True one may be next door to the laundry, very close to a very busy passenger elevator or have a crew service elevator next door. The list goes on but consider. Unless you are a recluse, the time you will spend in the cabin (assuming you are not a balcony maven) is minimal. That leaves the ability to sleep under most any condition. All military veterans have the ability to sleep anywhere as do most college grads that endured a roommate or two that played cards until 3 am every night.

Long verse for a short answer. What may be a terrible cabin for one may be a terrific cabin for the next person. At any rate congratulations on getting the booking as Cunard showed the world cruise totally sold out last week. And please sign on the the roll call for this cruise. It is way to quiet.

A world cruise, how wonderful.  Upgrades do happen as I can personally confirm.  It was, however, only on a transatlantic crossing but they all count?  Booked an inside cabin but when we got to the check-in desk the lady said you've been upgraded and handed us our sea card.  On enquiring where was the new cabin she simply smiled and said enjoy.

It was a balcony cabin.  Our very first time in one.  We were very happy!!!

• Like 1

Thank you all so very much for your helpful replies!  They reinforced my thoughts of "locking in" a cabin which I did successfully yesterday.  My choices were slim - of the 5 cabins offered to me - 3 were adjoining & 2 were on Deck 6.  Deck 6 Midship it is!  We are very happy with our choice.  Yes there may be some noise from above, but as LakesRegion commented - we are on a World Cruise - a "Living List" wish is being fulfilled = grateful and blessed!

On 7/21/2021 at 7:57 AM, exlondoner said:

And, if you are on QM2, there is always the wonderful sounding upgrade to a Q3, and the depressing discovery you don't have a balcony.

Been there, done that and won't do it again. I have gotten some wonderful upgrades over the years, a Q5 to a Q2, the Holyrood, three times. Once to the dreaded Q3 and the handicapped one at that and a couple of times to a Q4. As I get older, I just book the cabin I want, a Q4 Port Side, 9 Deck and I am never unhappy, unless the voyage gets canceled which has happened the last two times.

Edited by Bigmike911

We have been fortunate enough to have quite a few upgrades with Cunard in the past - not these days or indeed for quite a few years now, as we choose a higher grade of cabin. But we are very selective in our choice of location and wouldn’t/couldn’t take a guarantee gamble on anything longer than a couple of days.  

For those willing to gamble, it can be a definite financial advantage.

Be very wary of upgrades as they can prove expensive in the long run. We had one [ paid for] upgrade Q3 to a Q2 [we turned down the Q1 because of the position] and now alternate between booking 2s with 3s.

Summer '23 we're going to try a QV 1 and see if we can stand the motion of the ocean.