Australian Passports

Just to extend things a little in southern NZ . We did a small ship cruise /expedition back in Jan 7 days ex Bluff with stops in Stewart Island, Snares, Milford Sound and 2 nights in Thompson  Sounds (all Firodland - you could spend a week there). There are also the Chatham Islands, the Auckland Islands,  not  sunbathing weather though - and little to no opportunity for shopping or even drinking on shore -except for Oban of course 

16 hours ago, mr walker said:

Yes we did 29N clockwise loop on Sun Princess in 2017, which included PNG (Alotau). On that trip we had overnight in Hobart which was great, but all other ports were just the day.

We would be more than happy to make it 60-70N by doubling up the stays at each port & maybe add a few & of course some slow cruising.

Either Mar-Apr or Sept-Oct 2023 would be good

Neil...We did the same in 2008 on Sun Princess, great trip. Sun Princess had just arrived in OZ from USA then.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I see no trouble doing 100+ Days around Aus and NZ, of course no line will ever offer it, but $$$$ and health permitting, I’d be front and centre to book.

Now if we could get QM2 over here to do the proposed 107 day Aussie/NZ circumnavigation, your little MAXI could come along, they have 22 kennels up top, no doggies in cabins on Cunard, lol. 🐶

42 minutes ago, lissie said:

Just to extend things a little in southern NZ . We did a small ship cruise /expedition back in Jan 7 days ex Bluff with stops in Stewart Island, Snares, Milford Sound and 2 nights in Thompson  Sounds (all Firodland - you could spend a week there). There are also the Chatham Islands, the Auckland Islands,  not  sunbathing weather though - and little to no opportunity for shopping or even drinking on shore -except for Oban of course 

Yeah well with a small ship there are tone of extra ports opened up. Pity is the small ships are vanishing from the mainstream lines,

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I see no trouble doing 100+ Days around Aus and NZ, of course no line will ever offer it, but $$$$ and health permitting, I’d be front and centre to book.

Me too.

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Now if we could get QM2 over here to do the proposed 107 day Aussie/NZ circumnavigation, your little MAXI could come along, they have 22 kennels up top, no doggies in cabins on Cunard, lol. 🐶

No kennels for Maxy, he provides me way to much benefit by being by my side. Amazing how much quicker I recover from these stupid turns when he is near, the medical men tell me that calmness is the answer, while in hospital I had a few, a couple of them were almost pleasant because I had nurses who remained calm. Another one and everyone panicked and it was frightful.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rassa said:

100 days is abit long for me but right now I would take anything.   I am booked on the next March 28 day cruise around Australia.  If it actually goes, I really think it will be cut back to half or less, so I am just hanging on to the booking for anything to happen at the moment.

We're booked on that one too. I hope it isn't cut short, the whole reason for doing it is to do the circumnavigation, plus not having to fly to or from somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

I think an around Aus in 28 days has a better chance of happening than the 35 day to Hawaii in April. I think the startup for cruising here will be domestic Aus/Nz cruises and those we can do 🙏

Agreed, the Hawaii/Tahiti runs won't happen for a while. Not because of the length of the cruise but because they visit overseas ports.

1 hour ago, Rassa said:

Hope you are right.  I think border issues may still be a problem even when everyone who wants to be vaccinated is.  Once we open up, we are going to still have covid numbers for a while and I am not sure, for instance, that the WA Premier will open up to the rest of us.  If the ship can only go as far as Darwin and back, I will still be on.  

As long as it goes somewhere then back to Sydney I'll be on it but not if it's a one way cruise.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

No kennels for Maxy, he provides me way to much benefit by being by my side. Amazing how much quicker I recover from these stupid turns when he is near, the medical men tell me that calmness is the answer, while in hospital I had a few, a couple of them were almost pleasant because I had nurses who remained calm. Another one and everyone panicked and it was frightful.

Maxy would qualify as a service animal. I read that it is not uncommon in the US for passengers to take their service animals on cruise ships. The animal can stay in the cabin.

1 hour ago, lissie said:

You may still need passports - I noticed on the Cunard board that even on their "staycation" trips the Brits need theirs.  Maybe because you in international waters???

We didn't need passports when we did Sydney to Tasmania return, just photo ID. Do the British cruises include Ireland? If so that would be why passports are needed.

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I already put Stewart Island on my itinerary.

I don't like the thought of big cruise ships overnighting in Fiordland. Too much pollution. I always feel a little conflicted about the scenic cruising through there, it's such a pristine area.

17 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maxy would qualify as a service animal. I read that it is not uncommon in the US for passengers to take their service animals on cruise ships. The animal can stay in the cabin.

Not here though, especially if the cruise goes to NZ. I have a friend who has a guide dog. She looked into taking him on an NZ cruise but it was too difficult even if the dog stayed on the ship. She has to cruise without him.

1 hour ago, lissie said:

You may still need passports - I noticed on the Cunard board that even on their "staycation" trips the Brits need theirs.  Maybe because you in international waters???

You shouldn’t  need a passport for domestic cruising ports with just ANZECs (Aus New Zealand Excited Cruisers) on board  - tho it is a great form of ID. 

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

But in NSW, service dogs have to be registered, like the Labradors. My sister and her husband in Qld have raised a few. Only registered service dogs can go into human places like restaurants, hotels etc and cruise ships would be the same.

My grand dog, was with me for a while whilst my grand daughter was at Uni for 5 years in Townsville, now she is back with her owner, my grand daughter the vet in Caboulture, Qld.

lab.jpg.fff19d94316c5f157a1659621efc0ce2.jpg

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're booked on that one too. I hope it isn't cut short, the whole reason for doing it is to do the circumnavigation, plus not having to fly to or from somewhere. 

Agreed.    I see in your listed to do cruises, we have another snap - 35 days Hawaii and Tahitii.

You can also add Portland in Vic.  Not sure why they stopped going there.  Lovely town. Plenty of day trips there.  We tried to go to Robe once on Pacific Jewel but the weather was against us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rassa said:

Agreed.    I see in your listed to do cruises, we have another snap - 35 days Hawaii and Tahitii.

We did that cruise in 2019 and absolutely loved it. So much so we decided to do it again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Are you any good at trivia, Rassa?

We're fairly good but have a couple of weak spots - sports and popular entertainment.

No not me, but hubby is not too bad with general knowledge but not so sure about his sport (mostly AFL) and popular entertainment (unless its Star Wars, Indiana Jones stuff or cowboys).   We like going now and then.   But it would be good to catch up.

11 minutes ago, Rassa said:

No not me, but hubby is not too bad with general knowledge but not so sure about his sport (mostly AFL) and popular entertainment (unless its Star Wars, Indiana Jones stuff or cowboys).   We like going now and then.   But it would be good to catch up.

We usually go to morning trivia every sea day, and afternoon trivia on cold or rainy days.

Yes, it would be good to catch up. 

• Like 1

I would like to thank everyone for their posts on the thread that I started re Passports.

It has given me a lot of  entertainment and laughs.

Thank you for taking me on an extended cruise around Australia and New Zealand.

I would be quite happy to do such a cruise for 107 days

We just need to be on a cruise ship, any ship

Eric 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ondine said:

You can also add Portland in Vic.  Not sure why they stopped going there.  Lovely town. Plenty of day trips there.  We tried to go to Robe once on Pacific Jewel but the weather was against us.

Possibly a day trip to the Port Campbell National Park and the Great Ocean Road - just over 2 hours drive.  A stop in Warrnambool and also at Tower Hill, a drive through Port Fairy.

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Possibly a day trip to the Port Campbell National Park and the Great Ocean Road - just over 2 hours drive.  A stop in Warrnambool and also at Tower Hill, a drive through Port Fairy.

See - lots of great locations in Aus and NZ - perhaps a 184 day cruise like Viking? 👏🚢🥂

54 minutes ago, ekka49 said:

I would like to thank everyone for their posts on the thread that I started re Passports.

It has given me a lot of  entertainment and laughs.

Thank you for taking me on an extended cruise around Australia and New Zealand.

I would be quite happy to do such a cruise for 107 days

We just need to be on a cruise ship, any ship

Eric 

This is kinda the norm for threads here, we wander all over the place and along the way some fun stuff happens. 

Yeah, any ship will do but Princess by preference. 😋

Look out for the next voyage of our virtual cruise ship, the Ocean Pearl. She could be embarking fairly soon for an extensive cruise. 🤔😊