The Daily for Wednesday July 21, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Be Someone Day, National Hot Dog Day, and National Junk Food Day

Reality continues to ruin my life. - Bill Watterson

Meal suggestion for today - Butter Brown Scallops

Drink of the Day - Caribe Sour

Wine of the day - Mason Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley Yount Mill Vineyard 2016

Destination of the Day - Fakarava Tuamotu French Polynesia

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 7/25
Zuiderdam MX Drift

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Seattle
Nieuw Amsterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0721Europe.thumb.png.1b6553b6bc03529de479bb4ae5b46a63.png

0721USA.thumb.png.eba17cd66df467eee42a86ed8bc6ae94.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Being Someone, and probably enjoy hot dogs and junk food more than I should.  I've been to Fakarava a couple of times, always on Crystal.  So true on the Watterson quote.  Busy day today with both rehab and oncologist.  I'll pass on the Scallops.  My alternative is Freshly made lido waffle with mixed berry topping, my final meal on Rotterdam VI, 10 years ago today.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Cruising Along’s cousin needing new kidney
DurangoScots shelter manager in ICU
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomu
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Craig
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
Welcome home Highland Cruiser
Atexsix recapping the Seattle fleet
kplady on Lake George
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Denise on her wilderness adventure
NextOne booked for Panama Canal
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Hello there everyone happy hump day.  Thanks for the daily report Rich.  I think that I’ll be me today.  Love hot dogs and my junk food of choice would be potato chips, they pair nicely.  Funny quote today.  The scallops sound delicious as does the drink.  Haven’t been to today’s port so eagerly waiting the photos.  Prayers to all on the prayer list and hope that @JazzyV’s eye is on the mend.  Cheers to everyone with a celebration today!

• Like 25

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'll just be me today.  Not a fan of hot dogs, but love junk food more than I should.

Great quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

Another port I have not visited.  Thanks to all who will post pictures (I hope).

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for every celebration, no matter how small.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Interesting sunrise this morning in my area of MD.  The smoke from the wildfires out west has put a haze on the skyline so strong that the sun could not be seen.  We are under a Code Orange due to the smoke in the air.  The magnitude of the wildfires really hits home when smoke travels across the continent.

Stay Safe, Everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, lcand1923 said:

Interesting sunrise this morning in my area of MD.  The smoke from the wildfires out west has put a haze on the skyline so strong that the sun could not be seen.  We are under a Code Orange due to the smoke in the air.  The magnitude of the wildfires really hits home when smoke travels across the continent.

Stay Safe, Everyone!

I have not been outside yet except to take out my recycling but the haze is quite concerning.

Roy

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone!   

Today looks to be quite hazy.  They say it is from the western fires.  Nothing big on the horizon this morning.  Yesterday's picnic was a lot of fun and a nice way to get together.  

Continued prayers for @JazzyV that her eye is much better today.   Also for @ger_77's friend.   

You don't have to be anyone famous to be someone.   You can be someone in the eyes of a child through kindness or to anyone you meet.   I will try to stay away from the junk food, but it sure is tempting.

Today's meal sounds wonderful.  I may have to go get some scallops.  https://damndelicious.net/2020/12/28/brown-butter-scallops/

Brown-Butter-ScallopsIMG_1420.thumb.jpg.0f57fc3e5ba8425c00db495137cbc691.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good  morning and  thanks  for  the  Daily, Rich. Thanks  as  well  for  both  lists,the  quote and  the  Days  to  be  celebrated.  I  look  forward  to  the  recipe  and  to  pictures of  the  port  of  the  day.

I  will  celebrate  be  someone  day gladly. I  thought  I  was  past  caring  about  junk  food  until gluten  free  oreos'  showed  up  in  the  supermarket  and  amazed  me. I  have  never  cared  for  hot  dogs but  they  can  have  their  day. The  quote  is  an  apt one.

@JazzyV, I hope  you  are  feeling  better  today. My DSIL recently  had  cataract  surgery   and  needed a  stitch . She  reported  cloudy  vision  for  a few  days  but  she  is  so  much  better  now. I  loved your  Dutch  Hat  picture yesterday!

@ger_77, I  will  keep  your  friend  in  my  prayers  and  hope  the  surgery  goes  well.

Last  but  not  least, Cruising  Along(can't  get  it  to  highlight), so  sorry  to  hear  about  your  cousin  needing a  new  kidney and  hope  the  wait  is  not  too  long.

Terry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days again.  Everyone is someone every day 😉 

Wasn’t sure which hot dog you were talking about?  The one we eat or the dog…

32A18D18-C30B-4909-84A6-DD8A4FA524B3.jpeg.7fe2d5a04bec77eff658e2b6ed6ecea5.jpeg

I know lots of people will celebrate junk food day for sure:

80C91BB5-E5F8-46E3-96F2-EB57A85365AF.jpeg.4b7bbffbf054fca0c848075a701aedb2.jpeg

Excellent quote by Watterson and yum on the meal suggestion for today and a white wine to go with it.  Napa wines are usually really good so looking forward to hearing about it 👍 

Sad to hear on all the smoke for so many and the fires that continue to burn.  I sure wish we could send all of our rain their way.  We will most likely have more today.

5BF3724D-298C-4881-B5C2-4AFBEACD0060.thumb.jpeg.7a754fbd43c39bae1ad042b5639c3f36.jpeg

We have been to French Polynesia but not this port.  it’s a beautiful area so look forward to hearing about it.

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump Day everyone!

5F889BCD-BF23-46D4-991C-08B61FFB1FDF.jpeg.d381a04e5bbb08266eaad19a2508a776.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I am looking forward to reading anything you post about your upcoming cruise. I am so excited for you. Hoping all goes smoothly and HAL sets the bar for the cruise industry. 

Could I have my hot dogs from Iceland, please? I still do not believe how amazingly delicious they are. Even when buying them at a gas station! And scallops are one of my favorite foods from the sea. 

I submitted my claim to my travel insurance provider, now the wait begins. I am still stunned that the ER exam, X-ray, cast, crutches and hospital shorts (I will explain later😉), cost a mere $633.32. I can only guess what that would cost here. 

@JazzyV praying that today is better for you. 

Today I finalize my trust. A huge load off my mind. I can thank the pandemic for forcing me to get off my duff and do it! 

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. I have barely scratched the surface of the Dailies I missed, but your care list has caught me up on who needs our support.  Morning Dailyite family!

Hoping I might be able to at least start sharing my Iceland pics and story today.  I most likely will have to do it in installments. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Mason Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley Yount Mill Vineyard 2016

You might have difficulty finding the 2016 vintage of this wine, but luckily the 2019 vintage has an even higher rating, and is available online for a very reasonable $17.94.  I am adding this one to my list. Note: the review is for the 2016 vintage. 

Winemaker Notes

#57 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

A cooling ocean breeze and morning fog during the warm growing season make Napa Valley an ideal climate for Mason's Sauvignon Blanc. The 2016 Sauvignon Blanc has lovely orange blossom and boxwood floral aromas. Medium bodied and well-balanced with a round and juicy texture, the palate presents pear and fresh tart apple flavors, complimented by a lingering, bright finish.

WS90 Wine Spectator - Clean, smooth and crisp, offering a lip-smacking mix of pear, melon and Key lime flavors, with plenty of intensity on the finish. Drink now.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I am looking forward to reading anything you post about your upcoming cruise. I am so excited for you. Hoping all goes smoothly and HAL sets the bar for the cruise industry. 

Thanks, my cruise isn't till 9/4 so HAL has a few weeks to work things out before it is my turn.

Lisa @LAFFNVEGAS starts us off Saturday and will be reporting on how things go. I will be in Seattle two days prior to the cruise visiting with @Cruising-along, her DH, and @LMM1801. Should be a very nice time.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Scallops are my favorite sea food. Would love some today. Hot Dogs are fine at a cookout. 

We were in Fakarava as part of our French Polynesia cruise in 2019. It is a beautiful island.  We just walked down the street passed the school and church. There was a beach area where people were snorkeling. The whole side of the beach side was shaded but very hot. I had not planned to go swimming but finally went in with my clothes on. A few people looked at me funny then joined me. It was great!  DH thought I was nuts, although he admits he wished he had gone in. Once out, dried very quickly!

@Sharon in AZA very Happy Birthday to Craig!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 30

Good morning everyone!  It's another gloomy, threatening-looking day today.  Rain expected again later but we are in a break now.  Can't wait until this weather pattern is over and we see more sunshine.  

My doctor visit is coming up in a few hours so just hanging out reading the Daily.  I had no breakfast so I will be starving by the time I get back home later.  Maybe we'll have a Nathan's hot dog for lunch in honor of the day.  With potato chips!  I plan on being someone today - myself.  Cool quote, and no thanks to the scallops.  You may share mine.  

We've been to French Polynesia but not to Fakarava.  I looked it up on the map to see where exactly it's located, and boy is that one long skinny atoll!

Prayers for everyone needing them today, and cheers to all celebrating something.  @Sharon in AZplease give Craig my happy birthday wishes.  Each birthday is a blessing!  Good luck to @rafinmdat the two doctor appointments. We can wait until tonight for photos of Fakarava if necessary so don't hurry.  And to anyone else who has photos we thank you in advance.  Thank you @richwmnfor this excellent hump day Daily.  @cat shepardI can't wait for your trip installments to begin.  And I bet just the crutches would cost about $633 here in the US.  

• Like 28

Good morning.  No hot dogs or junk food today.  And not sure about be someone day., I'm me everyday.

I meant to mention that Moscato is my absolutes favorite wine.  I was pleased to see it the wine of the day several days ago.  Was introduced to it on a BHB.  The meal  sounds good, will have to see if there are any in the freezer.  The quote is spot on.

Major prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists.  I pray all tests, surgeries, and appointments go the best they can.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Caribe Sour:

Caribe Sour

INGREDIENTS
1 oz Patrón Silver
.5 oz Pyrat XO Reserve Rum
.75 oz Simple syrup
.75 oz Lime juice
.5 Egg white
2 Mint sprigs
8 Drops smoked salt bitters or salt tincture
+ Mint & lime zest for garnish

METHOD
Muddle one sprig of mint with simple syrup in the bottom of a mixing glass.
Add spirits, lime juice and egg white.
Dry shake (without ice) 10 seconds.
Add ice and shake vigorously to chill and emulsify.
Strain into a chilled cocktail coupe.
Garnish with the expressed oil of a lime zest, then discard the zest.
Drop 8 drops smoked salt bitters (or salt tincture) on the surface of the drink.
Garnish with remaining mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 8.46.26 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1