best cruise packing/ room set up tips

stellarose

Unpack - I'm not sure why I'd bother decorating a space I'm only going to be in for a few weeks?  When we cruised ships came complete with hooks and light switches so not bringing my own LOL 

I do always have a bag for laundry which is thrown in the bottom of the wardrobe 

When taking a Fly/Cruise and flying from Heathrow, have all your suitcases collected by Airportr and they check it in from your pre-flight hotel. Then the next day you leave the Hotel with hand/cabin luggage, going directly to Departures,  No pre-flight Qs or hassle - 100% safe and secure - every stage luggage is photographed and sent to your portable device.

https://airportr.com

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Web
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

When taking a Fly/Cruise and flying from Heathrow, have all your suitcases collected by Airportr and they check it in from your pre-flight hotel. Then the next day you leave the Hotel with hand/cabin luggage, going directly to Departures,  No pre-flight Qs or hassle - 100% safe and secure - every stage luggage is photographed and sent to your portable device.

https://airportr.com

Airportr also cover Manchester Airport/North West area.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

8 hours ago, lissie said:

Unpack - I'm not sure why I'd bother decorating a space I'm only going to be in for a few weeks?  When we cruised ships came complete with hooks and light switches so not bringing my own LOL 

I do always have a bag for laundry which is thrown in the bottom of the wardrobe 

Same, use an IKEA FYLLEN as it stands up. Just drop in…

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

My top two tips:

1. Pack less stuff.
  2. Unpack as soon as possible and start enjoying your vacation.

You're absolutely right on these. And I would add this one:

3. Decide where everything goes, put it there, and then put it back there every time. Small spaces seem a lot smaller when things aren't kept really tidy.

• Like 2

Crosspack with your traveling companion; this works great in the event one piece of luggage is lost. Similarly, pack one change of clothes and for me, a swimsuit, in your carryon. As a plus size person, it can be near impossible to find clothing in other countries or in onboard shops. No one wants to spend their cruise finding replacement clothing.

Take half of what you think you’ll need and take advantage of laundry services or rooms offered onboard. You’ll enjoy coming home with clean clothes in your bag. 

Put everything away upon arrival and keep it there. Enjoy having countertops and surfaces clear of clutter. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Crosspack with your traveling companion; this works great in the event one piece of luggage is lost. Similarly, pack one change of clothes and for me, a swimsuit, in your carryon. As a plus size person, it can be near impossible to find clothing in other countries or in onboard shops. No one wants to spend their cruise finding replacement clothing.

When packing my carryon I always consider what would be hardest to replace or find in a foreign country and what could i easily pick up items to supplement. Beyond just one pair of clothes I would consider what is the most versatile items of clothing you own. I always include my black knit dress that can be dressed up and down, a pair of black pants and a bathing suit. I would also will pack a basic nude bra as an ill fitting bra can be awful on vacation. I don't need PJs as I could always pick up a touristy t-shirt for sleep. Same thing with flip flops.

• Like 1

Just a different perspective, I pack for convenience and comfort.  My needs are pretty simple when I cruise, but if it looks like I might need another bag, by gum I haul out an extra bag.  I do drive to port.  If I flew, my miserly self would beat out my liberal packing self.

As for the room, I love magnets.  I use those strong neodymium hook magnets on our cabin walls on which I hang wet bathing suits and all other hangable items that I don't want to rummage around for in drawers, bins, or bags.

My wife's hair appliances are holstered in a caddy that is hanging on the wall (with magnets, of course) next to the mirror by the desk.  Neat, tidy, and out of the way, yet in easy reach when she sits down to do her hair.  Of course, there is the power bar (non-surge protected) for her appliances and our other power needs.  I do think some cruise lines ban power bars, but I apparently haven't sailed those or I haven't been caught.

Our luggage is stored under the bed.  One of those bags is left open so I can slide it out from under the bed just enough to drop in my dirty laundry.  Then slide it back under.  The other side of the open bag is where I keep my shoes.

I know that there are those who are already cringing at some of these ideas (including my wife), so I will stop right there.  If any of these ideas work for you, great, if not, at least you know what NOT to do.

PS - really like some of the other thoughts shared on this thread.

• Like 2

My biggest tip is also unpacking the day of. Most staterooms don't have a lot of drawers/closet space for storage (unless you have a suite), so packing less is preferred. 

Random things I've learned over the years to pack:

1) a small portable tripod - for picture taking without needing to ask someone. 

2) extra ziplock bags - for waterproofing phones/wallets/cash at the ports. 

3) a regular watch - for keeping track of ship time when there are time changes. 

4) a small portable steamer - for getting wrinkles out of dinner attire. 

5) a small first aid kit. 

6) a suction cup toothbrush holder - to put on the mirror for extra space. 

7) our own personal shampoo, conditioner, and bar of soap - what's provided in the showers is not great. 

8 ) Netflix episodes downloaded on a laptop - the TV selection in the cabins is not great. 

9) hand sanitizer!!!

23 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Just a different perspective, I pack for convenience and comfort.  My needs are pretty simple when I cruise, but if it looks like I might need another bag, by gum I haul out an extra bag.  I do drive to port.  If I flew, my miserly self would beat out my liberal packing self.

As for the room, I love magnets.  I use those strong neodymium hook magnets on our cabin walls on which I hang wet bathing suits and all other hangable items that I don't want to rummage around for in drawers, bins, or bags.

My wife's hair appliances are holstered in a caddy that is hanging on the wall (with magnets, of course) next to the mirror by the desk.  Neat, tidy, and out of the way, yet in easy reach when she sits down to do her hair.  Of course, there is the power bar (non-surge protected) for her appliances and our other power needs.  I do think some cruise lines ban power bars, but I apparently haven't sailed those or I haven't been caught.

Our luggage is stored under the bed.  One of those bags is left open so I can slide it out from under the bed just enough to drop in my dirty laundry.  Then slide it back under.  The other side of the open bag is where I keep my shoes.

I know that there are those who are already cringing at some of these ideas (including my wife), so I will stop right there.  If any of these ideas work for you, great, if not, at least you know what NOT to do.

PS - really like some of the other thoughts shared on this thread.

Funny.  We are almost 180 deg's opposite.  We don't bring any extras like hooks, organizers, etc.  No duct tape, magic markers, extension cords or octopus plugs.   However, we do have in common with you the transformation of one luggage to our laundry hamper!  Great minds think the same!  

• Like 2

I grab one of the cabin drinking glasses to use on the desk top to hold my makeup brushes, eye/lip liners, mascara, etc. The steward will replace the “missing” glass so we’ll still have two to use for beverages.

Also use one of the bathroom glasses to hold the travel-size toothpaste and each of our toothbrushes. We bring our electric toothbrush so the actual brushes are short so they really don’t stick out from the top of the glass. We mark the brush-caps so we know which one is which. This keeps the steward from having to touch them or wipe around them.

There are usually 3 shelves in the bathroom: DH takes the top and I take the middle. The bottom one holds items we both use like the toothbrush glass & handle, sunscreen, etc.

It seems our luggage usually arrives at the cabin well before muster. Now that cruise lines are having a required video to watch regarding safety, we hope we be using our unpacking time to watch the video (will also stop at the muster station to check in, of course, as soon as we can).

Beside tables usually have two drawers for each side (maybe 3 drawers…it’s been 18 mo. since on a ship!!). DH uses one for all things cords, camera chargers, etc. I’ll have one that is general medicines and first aid. We each use the top drawer one our own side as we wish.

Zip lock bag or some sort of pouch to put wallets, car/house keys, passports in and a second one for jewelry pouches. Then those go in the safe. If we had to grab the valuables in a hurry, they aren’t all loose in the safe.

• Like 1

I most often travel with one or the other (or maybe both) of my 2 sisters.  We don't pack particulary light, but not real heavy either.  One suitcase each and a smaller carry-on bag of some sort.  Plus purses.

We have sailed in mini-suites and also insides and have never really lacked storage space so I don't bring anyting extra for that.  I would much rather use my luggage space for clothes.  Same with decor of any kind.  Maybe for a much longer cruise I might change my mind, but mostly I don't want to waste the space.

I do bring a small donut shaped power hub.  Non-surge, several outlets and I think 4 USB ports.  We share and it's plenty.

Most cabins we've been in have three 2 drawer units, 2 by the bed and one by the desk.  The insides have a cabinet with shelves rather than drawers by the desk, I think.  And there's always some other open shelf areas.  We try to share equally and there is always room.  I do bring 2 small, collapsible bins from the dollar store for catching all the loose stuff that you end up with.

The shelves on either side of the bathroom sink are also split between the 3 of us and has always worked.  I carry a travel toothbrush holder and use that for my toothbrush.  My sisters both use a baggie for theirs.  I also bring a quart baggie filled with my "first-aid" kit.  It consists of some band-aids and a small amount of certain OTC medicines. 

In fact, baggies would probably be my numer one tip.  I use them a lot.  Even in the closet where there are shelves I put my undies and shirts in either luggage cubes or gallon size baggies so they aren't falling all over everyone else's stuff.

I don't carry a hamper, instead use a pillow-size drawstring bag for my dirty clothes.  That's about it.  Oh, except for the magnet on the walls.  We all buy magnet souveniers from every place we've been to and just use those to hang tickets and other paper work on the walls.  

For comfort the only thing I bring extra is my own pillow. It's a neck pillow and pretty small so packs easily.

Edited by Blondilu
  • Like 2

I am reading as much as I can. My concern is over packing. We have a first aid kit with general things that is required, packing our snorkel gear, and toiletries. Add in the night light, power strip, and other things, leaves us about 30-40% of weight and space for clothes. I think we are going to have to do a dry run packing to see what we can fit and remain at weight for flights and not have to pack a 4th bag for 3 people.

5 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I am reading as much as I can. My concern is over packing. We have a first aid kit with general things that is required, packing our snorkel gear, and toiletries. Add in the night light, power strip, and other things, leaves us about 30-40% of weight and space for clothes. I think we are going to have to do a dry run packing to see what we can fit and remain at weight for flights and not have to pack a 4th bag for 3 people.

If your flight seat only allocates one piece of hold luggage pp, to save all the angst just pay the small amount for the 4th bag.  Or book your flight with a generous coach luggage weight allowance.  For example, BA coach allows 1 x 23kg hold, 1 x 23kg cabin and 1 x 23kg hand.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Flight

Just now, PORT ROYAL said:

If your flight seat only allocates one piece of hold luggage pp, to save all the angst just pay the small amount for the 4th bag.

That is my thought too. I just don't want to look like someone that needs a semi to get to a cruise 🙂

Just a thought if you wish to leave home and go direct to “Departure Security” at the Airport, without luggage check in Qs and you live in areas around Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester.  Then consider Airportr, who collect and check in your luggage from home the day before your flight.

Luggage aggravation avoided.  100% secure.  It’s a no brainer.  Check out their site for collection areas and prices.  We use from Airport Hotels.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Security inserted

43 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just a thought if you wish to leave home and go direct to “Departure Security” at the Airport, without luggage check in Qs and you live in areas around Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester.  Then consider Airportr, who collect and check in your luggage from home the day before your flight.

Luggage aggravation avoided.  100% secure.  It’s a no brainer.  Check out their site for collection areas and prices.  We use from Airport Hotels.

Additional 

When pricing, as it’s from home, go for the 3 hour time slot.

Cheaper and you can track their courier from their site.  

Every aspect is secure and photographed.

There will be no going back if it works for you.

Additional 2

Having used once, you’ll receive an offer to recommend an friend, with you and the friend receiving 25% off when booking next.  The “Friend” can be your partner, so long as they have a different Email address. 😊😉

Edited by PORT ROYAL

For this tip, please double check the TSA rules to make sure things haven’t changed!

I have a CPAP and it does not count as a carry-on item. It is in addition to what an airline allows. As the machine is a medical device, we add all our medical items to this bag. So our Rx and OTC meds, first aid kit, wrist brace, extra contact lenses, etc. Now our carry-on or roll-aboard bag has a little more space for other items. DO be aware that you still cannot put liquids into the CPAP/medical bag…those still have to go into your little baggie for TSA or checked luggage.