best cruise packing/ room set up tips

stellarose

1 hour ago, lissie said:

We're only been together for 24 years - but if he wanted to separate the beds - he'd be needing to book a separate cabin - on a different ship! 

Oh how silly. We slept in separate rooms on separate floors of the house for a few years due to snoring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I’m certain it had nothing to do with his snoring. 

Well, after he had surgery on his nose, the snoring improved and we returned to sleeping in the same ro and bed.

I suppose no one here has slept in bunk beds on a cruise. We did and had to use a ladder to get into the top one.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Well, after he had surgery on his nose, the snoring improved and we returned to sleeping in the same ro and bed.

I suppose no one here has slept in bunk beds on a cruise. We did and had to use a ladder to get into the top one.

No photo description available.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Not on a cruise - though we came  close on our last one - some cabins where bunkbeds  but we got 2 lower berths - that was an expedition style ship. Also done bunks on trains - they can be challenging 

Edited by lissie
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, clo said:

Oh how silly. We slept in separate rooms on separate floors of the house for a few years due to snoring.

A suggestion for people whose spouses snore.  My wife used to allege that I snored loudly enough to wake up the dead.  I was asleep of course so I never heard myself snore although I did tape myself and I must admit that I was loud.  I did try that surgery but on my throat and it didn't do any good.   

For other reasons, I switched from a standard pillow to a pair of wedge pillows and I also now sleep on my back.  She says that my snoring has almost completely stopped.  Worth a try for couples who suffer from spousal snoring.

Funny story on snoring where my snoring probably helped me.  I booked a cruise to Antarctica where I shared a cabin with a stranger as my wife did not want to go on the trip.  I paid for a shared cabin which was obviously much cheaper that a single cabin.  After the first night, my assigned cabin mate was gone and he had switched and paid for a single cabin.  Since I has not requested the switch, I got to get the cabin with 2 beds as a single and did not have to pay for it.  I used one bed to sleep on and the other one to keep all my photo gear and outside clothing so that I did not have to put the stuff away and I could grab it quickly.  

Sometimes snoring has positive results.  LOL!!!

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of a nightlight I bring a couple of battery operated tea light candles.  One for the bathroom and one for the table on the balcony, which we only use sometimes.

i love my over the door shoe organizer.  Sunglasses, flip flops, mini binoculars, aloe, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, scarves, etc., all in one handy spot.

I like the magnet hooks for hanging our straw sun hats.

• Like 2

I have done the last 3 cruises with just a 21" carry-on and a large tote/personal item. It can be done! I bring a small shoe cubby that can be hung over the door and keeps smaller items organized. Also either "Command" hooks or magnetic hooks for hanging items like hats. I hate a messy cabin and/or being disorganized in case you haven't noticed by reading this post lol.

I'm very careful about how much clothing and shoes I pack. One pair of shoes will work for all evenings, in a neutral color that goes with all my dresses. A pair of closed toe comfortable sandals like Keens for every day, and I wear my sneakers - I like to work out on the ship, and they are also good for some excursions., I have two dresses that are reversible - why don't they make more like this!! - and they can also be worn with different scarves/jewelry to change out the look if I want. One pair of long pants, usually worn on the plane. Two pairs of shorts and a few tops. I'll wear a lightweight jacket or sweater on the plane. That's pretty much it. Can all be done with a carry on.

I transfer all my face wash, moisturizer etc. into small containers in my quart-size bag. I can bring plenty of toothpaste, moisturizer, etc. for two weeks or more this way. I'll buy sunscreen at the port when I first get to the ship. 

Thanks for this topic. I haven't travelled at all in over 2 years and am afraid I've forgotten how to pack. Leaving in a week and a half for a 21 day cruise; I am panicked! Have to try on pre covid clothes that no longer fit due to sedentary lifestyle. Don't know what's worse over or under packing. Plodding along, but hate this feeling. Oh well, back to the ironing board.

1 hour ago, saltshell said:

Thanks for this topic. I haven't travelled at all in over 2 years and am afraid I've forgotten how to pack. Leaving in a week and a half for a 21 day cruise; I am panicked! Have to try on pre covid clothes that no longer fit due to sedentary lifestyle. Don't know what's worse over or under packing. Plodding along, but hate this feeling. Oh well, back to the ironing board.

Literally????