Sailing 8/8 on Odyssey (was originally Indy) Couple of Question from a New Cruising Family of 4

Hello everyone!  Thank you for your help!

1) We are not interested in Internet packages (prefer to remain unplugged) - so how do we communicate onboard when spread across the ship?  What do you do?

2) What are the VERY FIRST things you do when stepping onboard... to get a jump on everyone else?  It is wise to maybe grab a drink and then sit down with the app and make all necessary reservations (for shows and such - COVID requirements)?  Will we have access to the app even though we won't have internet?

3) We have the Deluxe drink package, so I assume that there is no need to bother with bringing anything (ie, water) onboard with us, right?

4) Are there any "hidden gem" events, or things that should otherwise NOT be missed?

5) We are huge Disney fans, and are well versed in many Disney "secrets"... ie, asking for secret menus at certain restaurants, knowing how to trigger secret events and such.  Is there anything like this onboard RCI cruise ships?  Any fun, known, ways to interact with events crew or the cruise director or such?  We are BIG into participation outside of our comfort zones.

6) Any major tips for Coco Cay?  How to maximize our day?

Thank you so much!

Have you checked if you can book shows on odyssey now? Some of the newer ships you book shows ahead of time, but since odyssey is new and hasnt sailed idk.

Download the app ahead of time and then yes it can be used onboard. Scanning codes to order drinks and food.

Lol I eat first then unpack and then go look at my dining room. If I had fixed dining early or late I go look at my table. Some times I unpack first, then eat. Not very original here. I'm solo and it's hard to eat in the buffet dragging around my carry on. 

Since the ship is brand new hard to know of secrets. 

Coco cay requires it's own thread. There are lots of thread on free food, free pool, free lounge chairs.  There is a day pass if you want more. Maybe look thru the options in your planner to give you options. There are also tons of threads just on cabanas. You can have fun free or not free. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Royal introduced a chat feature on their app. You don't have to pay for their internet to use it, but I believe it's $1.99 per day per person so it's not that cheap if you have a lot of people.

There's also set meeting spots you can set up. We had set dining so we at least met up there and then went to the shows for the night together. We'd often chat about if we wanted to meet at a certain time the next day. 

I've also used whiteboards before. If you put em on the exterior you'll get stuff from random people. But when I was cruising with a friend who liked to get up earlier than me we'd leave notes of general plans. 

Also as the cruise goes on some people develop there places. Like always at the flowrider, my nieces made everyone go to the carousel as much as then could, some like a specific bar or pool, etc. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, QuantumLeapUltra said:

Hello everyone!  Thank you for your help!

1) We are not interested in Internet packages (prefer to remain unplugged) - so how do we communicate onboard when spread across the ship?  What do you do?

We bring a magnetic notepad or dry erase board and put it outside our door for leaving notes. And some passersby might leave you some funny notes of their own. 🙂

2) What are the VERY FIRST things you do when stepping onboard... to get a jump on everyone else?  It is wise to maybe grab a drink and then sit down with the app and make all necessary reservations (for shows and such - COVID requirements)?  Will we have access to the app even though we won't have internet?

You have access to the app via the ship’s WiFi, no package required. When we board, we first like to hit a favorite bar.

3) We have the Deluxe drink package, so I assume that there is no need to bother with bringing anything (ie, water) onboard with us, right? 
Correct!

4) Are there any "hidden gem" events, or things that should otherwise NOT be missed?

Odyssey is a new ship, so there are lots of “new” things to explore.

5) We are huge Disney fans, and are well versed in many Disney "secrets"... ie, asking for secret menus at certain restaurants, knowing how to trigger secret events and such.  Is there anything like this onboard RCI cruise ships?  Any fun, known, ways to interact with events crew or the cruise director or such?  We are BIG into participation outside of our comfort zones.

Not to my knowledge, no.

6) Any major tips for Coco Cay?  How to maximize our day?

Search around for trip reports that mention Coco Cay…both on this forum and other places. Those can give you a good idea of what you would like. We personally like South Beach, and LOVE the mozzarella sticks and chicken sandwiches at the Snack Shack. Enjoy!

Thank you so much!

Replies in red!

• Like 1

Normally for oasis and quantum class ships you can make reservations for shows beforehand. New temporary protocol is you have to do it on the app when you get on the ship... or guest services. So I would be looking at the offerings now so as soon as you step on you can make your reservations.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the replies!  I'm already learning some good tips.

• I LOVE the whiteboard idea, and would never have thought of that.  I assume the cabin doors are metal... therefore magnets work?
  • I didn't realize that in-app messaging (for $) was an option.  Interesting.

44 minutes ago, QuantumLeapUltra said:

• I LOVE the whiteboard idea, and would never have thought of that.  I assume the cabin doors are metal... therefore magnets work?

Pretty much the whole cabin is metal. I usually bring a 6 pack of magnetic hooks with me. Easy to hang shirts etc on from ceiling or walls.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Pretty much the whole cabin is metal. I usually bring a 6 pack of magnetic hooks with me. Easy to hang shirts etc on from ceiling or walls.

I have a storage box that's just for cruises and magnetic hooks are one of the things in there. 

4 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Royal introduced a chat feature on their app. You don't have to pay for their internet to use it, but I believe it's $1.99 per day per person so it's not that cheap if you have a lot of people.

There's also set meeting spots you can set up. We had set dining so we at least met up there and then went to the shows for the night together. We'd often chat about if we wanted to meet at a certain time the next day. 

I've also used whiteboards before. If you put em on the exterior you'll get stuff from random people. But when I was cruising with a friend who liked to get up earlier than me we'd leave notes of general plans. 

Also as the cruise goes on some people develop there places. Like always at the flowrider, my nieces made everyone go to the carousel as much as then could, some like a specific bar or pool, etc. 

We are on the 8/15 cruise out of Galveston and they new RCCL app we are using to check in and make reservations has a message feature that they say is included in the app while you are on the ship between members of your party or those reservations that are connected. The check in feature is very cool, this is a huge upgrade over the previous ship app that we used. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, QuantumLeapUltra said:

Ensure your dining times are arranged and the table you have is what you wish.  You can stop by the dining room and request any changes if what you have been allotted is not to your liking. 

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Have you checked if you can book shows on odyssey now? Some of the newer ships you book shows ahead of time, but since odyssey is new and hasnt sailed idk.

You cannot pre-book shows on the Odyssey at this point in time.  Will be first come, first served in August.

• Like 1

You didn't mention the ages of family members, but that may influence what you want to do first.

When you are checking in, be sure to ask for the deck map of the ship, and for the Cruise Compass which will give you the hours for all the venues. We take those and go to the Windjammer for lunch and use highlighters to mark the things we want to do on day 1.

Right after lunch we go to the dining room to check out our table location and make changes if needed.

Be sure to checkout 270 that's an all purpose space that will be used for entertainment and it offers an amazing seaview from the aft of the ship. There is also a small cafe there offering light lunch or snacks.

Have an amazing cruise!

Barb

• Like 1

7 hours ago, QuantumLeapUltra said:

Cabin walls are also magnetic.  We always bring a couple of heavy duty magnets to hang up stuff on walls, like belts, bathing suits, backpack, etc.

if kids and adults are interested, Book bumper cars, roller skating, etc etc as soon as you can.

Let us know how your cruise is.

Enjoy

• Like 1