Hotel / Transportation options for Fort Lauderdale (KFLL)

gizbug

I will be taking my family (wife, MIL, 5yr old and 1 yr old) on a cruise this coming November, sailing out of Miami on a Sunday. I am planning to have my family fly down to Fort Lauderdale (have ticket vouchers) a day early, Saturday, to relax/unwind a day before the cruise. I booked a one night stay at a hotel near Miami airport, and plan on taking the Tri Rail from KFLL to KMIA, then hotel bus to the hotel.  Those who have traveled with little ones, have you brought your own carseat?  I think I could get away with my 5 yr old on a lap belt in a hotel shuttle, but not with the 1 yr old.  Any suggestions on transportation?  We would leave back home out of Miami so would also need transportation from the cruise ship to the airport.  Transportation would have to accommodate 3 adults, a 5 yr old, and a 1 yr old.

OP - Welcome to cruise critic!

For your youngest I would bring your car seat.  Airlines don't charge for car seats.  Then you will have it available for the shuttles and transportation (taxi, uber or lyft) from your hotel to the port and then back to MIA after the cruise.  For your 5 year old I can recommend an inflatable booster seat that we began using for our granddaughter at the age of 5.  There are a number of models available on Amazon, she uses hiccapop UberBoost Inflatable Booster Car Seat.  I've also seen BubbleBum Inflatable Booster Car Seat recommended on this site.

Edited by capriccio

For hotels near the MIA airport a taxicab to POM will cast about $30+ on the meter - ask the hotel front desk to call the cab, they know who is reliable. I would tip extra to cover the time spent installing and uninstalling your car seat.

Post cruise I would also use a van taxi to get from PIN to MIA. There is a flat rate fare between the port and airport that should be posted in the cab (should be about $28-30).  Have a great cruise! 😎

1 hour ago, gizbug said:

Awesome. Thanks @capriccio and @johninDC for the info!

Yah, been in 14 cruises in my lifetime, but never with little ones.....first time for everything!

Have a great time!  Our daughter and husband took our granddaughter on her first cruise when she was 11 months old and they and the baby had a great time.  We went on a family cruise with them and her aunt and uncle when she was 3 1/2 and she still talks about it especially when we talk about the family cruise - which will now include her much younger cousin - rescheduled for July 2022 after our 2020 cruise was canceled.  Ship personnel are wonderful with young passengers; I think many of them miss their own children.