LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

37 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

That makes me think that they are going with the approach many other lines have taken - lower price if booked pre-cruise, higher if booked on board.  The current HAL President did come from Carnival, so follow the bread crumbs .....

I bought the thermal suite pass for couples on line last week, and it was $299, same as on the ship.

Thanks Lisa for all the posts and information on the first HAL sailing.  We are very excited about our 24 day cruise on the Eurodam Sept 12.    We will be reading all the posts but are most interested in the wine package vs the beverage upgrade to Elite.  Also, the best internet package on HAL which included video, was capped at a daily limit of 500 mbs.  After 500 mbs the speed of the service was significantly reduced.  In 2019 we spent some time discussing this with the on board IT person and hope this gets corrected for 2021 cruises.  Please let us know if you here anything regarding any caps on the best internet package.  Cheers and have a great cruise. Brent & Jeannie

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Lisa, question SVP; how is the situation inside the public elevators? Is there a limit (posted?) on how many can occupy the cars? Especially at "rush hour" What has been your and Tom's experience? Tanks! 

No limits at all for elevator, I saw people after dinner and near the Lido all cramming into elevator. We did hold back once but did go into one that already had 4. But definitely nothing posted anywhere also it’s been stated no social distancing required . Basically business as usual.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

Lisa: do you know if all the facilities in the spa are open for use (eg. steam and sauna)?

Yes it appears everything in the spa is open. Oddly Lido pool and hot tubs were empty with no water yesterday but hydro pool in Thermal suite was bubbling away. But water was aft today to Lido pool but when we walked by at lunch it still was closed. They had probably added chemicals so could not let people in yet.

• Like 8

Lisa, the drink card from the Mariner Society must be to replace the welcome aboard reception that was for 3*** and above prior to sail away. It was a free for all for the free drink.

Have a fabulous evening, I really could eat Escargot right now 🍾

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, panamashark said:

Thanks Lisa for all the posts and information on the first HAL sailing.  We are very excited about our 24 day cruise on the Eurodam Sept 12.    We will be reading all the posts but are most interested in the wine package vs the beverage upgrade to Elite.  Also, the best internet package on HAL which included video, was capped at a daily limit of 500 mbs.  After 500 mbs the speed of the service was significantly reduced.  In 2019 we spent some time discussing this with the on board IT person and hope this gets corrected for 2021 cruises.  Please let us know if you here anything regarding any caps on the best internet package.  Cheers and have a great cruise. Brent & Jeannie

I am not sure there is a limit, since these are now offered as unlimited. But with that being said the connection is very slow here on deck 7. Although slightly better if I go out in the hall near the hotspot. I did find that in the Crows Nest the WiFi was excellent and I had no problems. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Lisa I want to thank you for posting this Live From.I am so enjoying reading and also enjoying your photos. I have followed you on CC ever since I joined, I am another one that sent you a friend request on facebook. If you need a character reference contact my friend Kakalena.

Jane  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

No limits at all for elevator, I saw people after dinner and near the Lido all cramming into elevator. We did hold back once but did go into one that already had 4. But definitely nothing posted anywhere also it’s been stated no social distancing required . Basically business as usual.

Not real sure that "business as usual" on the elevators is a good thing. 

Jane

• Like 2

Hi Lisa, I'm really enjoying living vicariously through you and Tom!  Something caught my eye that nobody else has mentioned - looking at the "When and Where" it says Happy Hour "up to 50% off" . . .   now that's different.  It used to be 2 for the price of 1, and last time we were onboard it was the 2nd drink for $1, but now up to 50% off?   Do you think that's because so many people have the drink package?

Also, when upgrading the drink package, do you do it from any bar when you get onboard, or can you do so from those selling the wine packages?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

That makes me think that they are going with the approach many other lines have taken - lower price if booked pre-cruise, higher if booked on board.  The current HAL President did come from Carnival, so follow the bread crumbs .....

You are definitely correct on the purchasing prior to cruising. I booked a massage for tomorrow about 10 days ago. Depending on the time of day, sea or port day the priced varied for a service. I believe they offered limited number at a time slot for the lower price. I reserved a 75 minute massage for $151.00 my app shows I could do this at 10:30 but when I tried to do it it would not go through so I called in and they told me the price for that time was $189 but could book at 1:30 for the $151. So definitely with booking in advance. NCL has been doing this for several years and always best to book in advance for their Thermal Suite. With HAL that was not always the case and was sometimes cheaper if bought on board. I would suggest now to definitely purchase in advance.

• Like 7

Thank you for your posts.  Re buying internet onboard, are there prices that are based on cruise length as in the past--rather than just a daily price?  We get the Surf (middle level) for the entire cruise, so just curious is the offer/pricing is similar to in the past.  Thank you so much for your help.  Enjoy your gala dinner!

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Hi Lisa, I'm really enjoying living vicariously through you and Tom!  Something caught my eye that nobody else has mentioned - looking at the "When and Where" it says Happy House "up to 50% off" . . .   now that's different.  It used to be 2 for the price of 1, and last time we were onboard it was the 2nd drink for $1, but now up to 50% off?   Do you think that's because so many people have the drink package?

Also, when upgrading the drink package, do you do it from any bar when you get onboard, or can you do so from those selling the wine packages?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, I agree that I think it is from so many now having the drink package. That is really all HAL is offering. If someone books direct on line your first option is the Have It All. Most don’t realize there are options. 
I had asked again today if there was a package for Wine and they just stated that there were just the drink packages. I do think they have done away with the previous wine packages that Mariners got a discount on. But I am going to dig into this further. For upgrading the package I think it can be done with a bartender but I think they prefer you to do it the first day at one if the tables set up to sell these packages.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Thank you for your posts.  Re buying internet onboard, are there prices that are based on cruise length as in the past--rather than just a daily price?  We get the Surf (middle level) for the entire cruise, so just curious is the offer/pricing is similar to in the past.  Thank you so much for your help.  Enjoy your gala dinner!

It is hard for me to tell because we did have the Have it All promo and it comes with Surf Voyage but yesterday the first day we could upgrade to Premium for one device for $40. Today when I log in it says upgrade to Premium for 6 days for $30.00 it does state that that it allows for daily volume of 500MB of preferred connectivity experience.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Happy to see Escargot on the menu.  You two are very photogenic.  Are most people just doing two tops in MDR.  What is the mood like for people interacting with each other, say for example in trivia would six people who are not cruising together get together or people stay in their twosome  or foursome.  

Re trivia:  same as always.  No more than six to a team.  There are lots of combos.  We are 4, but asked 2 others to join us at today’s session. 

• Like 3

So we reviewed the menus for the week on the app and TV and made our specialty dining decision based on it.  Tonight's menu changed from yesterday after we planned Tamarind.  Tonight is escargot, lamb chops, filet mignon with crab béarnaise.  We would have stuck to main dining room if that had been up yesterday.  First world problems!  We are vaccinated and on vacation so we can't complain too much and we love the Tamarind.  One day they will get that piece figured out.

today was the reception at 11 with the captain and officers for 4 &5 star.  They all came around and thanked us for returning and joining the first cruise.  Clearly working on customer relations which is no surprise with HAL.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I will try to quick add some pictures from this morning’s breakfast. We got down to deck two around 8:15. I have always felt breakfast in the MDR was slow and servers were not organized. Due to the newness it was what I expected. No big deal. Although we have a Beverage Package in the Dining Room they keep insisting they have to charge us for covered items but in the end they have not. Instead come back and apologize. 
we are having a impromptu CC Meet and Greet up in the Crows Nest at 11.

By the way, finally got coffee served this morning in the MDR. Lol

**Update, my pics never uploaded so was just now able to. The speed was amazing here in the Crows Nest.

Unfortunately only SLC1954 and Gohoward and Tom and I showed for the Meet and Greet but we had a very nice chat.

16C7FB00-6FEC-446C-AC6F-E4FC5DA2D68D.jpeg

F048A159-CE84-4327-958E-95F059F6CAC3.jpeg

68949413-8CFC-4B67-B571-D1635A3DB4DF.jpeg

73DD064E-4D76-4149-908A-9940354ECACC.jpeg

22D02EAC-1558-4849-AD62-0B3981B3091B.jpeg

9BB67732-EA44-44BD-B788-BFEB79639D15.png

109C0AB7-5A6E-4D18-9F39-2EB1FA3EC564.png

42FC4369-BCBB-47D3-830E-B6C749A82E91.png

Seriously?! Out of 60 or so names on the list!  Why do people request to be on it then?  Honestly.

New box just appeared on my Navigator app, it appears there are wine packs, there were 27 pages for numerous wines by the glass and bottle, the last page was what I am picturing below, no price for it.

Heading down to dinner so will post more later.

D9CEC6CC-9C0E-4CC6-8A86-754A975D37B0.png

F6B6373F-1B21-4D9D-BF15-D6BB0AD48A3C.png

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

So we reviewed the menus for the week on the app and TV and made our specialty dining decision based on it.  Tonight's menu changed from yesterday after we planned Tamarind.  Tonight is escargot, lamb chops, filet mignon with crab béarnaise.  We would have stuck to main dining room if that had been up yesterday.  First world problems!  We are vaccinated and on vacation so we can't complain too much and we love the Tamarind.  One day they will get that piece figured out.

today was the reception at 11 with the captain and officers for 4 &5 star.  They all came around and thanked us for returning and joining the first cruise.  Clearly working on customer relations which is no surprise with HAL.

It’s nice to hear that they are doing something special for 4 and 5 stars. Do you know how many 5 stars are onboard? Just curious, usually there aren’t that many , 1 time I was the only one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

New box just appeared on my Navigator app

Not understanding these things called "apps", but what has the tech people been doing in the weeks preceding your sailing that causes "not everything required for the guests use" to be available.  Now.  Not tomorrow.  Or whenever.

55 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

today was the reception at 11 with the captain and officers for 4 &5 star.  They all came around and thanked us for returning and joining the first cruise.  Clearly working on customer relations 

As they should be doing.  

Are you aware of any Executives from HAL or Carnival  who are aboard?  

RCI's CEO and Chairman Richard Fain was aboard Celebrity Edge and was "out and about" during the Edge's first cruise not long ago.  Reports also indicated that many of the Company's Executives were also aboard.    

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Gerry, I agree that I think it is from so many now having the drink package. That is really all HAL is offering. If someone books direct on line your first option is the Have It All. Most don’t realize there are options. 
I had asked again today if there was a package for Wine and they just stated that there were just the drink packages. I do think they have done away with the previous wine packages that Mariners got a discount on. But I am going to dig into this further. For upgrading the package I think it can be done with a bartender but I think they prefer you to do it the first day at one if the tables set up to sell these packages.

I have booked wine packages online over the past few months (4,6 or 8 bottle packages) - for Sommelier 1, 2 or 3 for all of my 2021 & 2022 cruises. 

• Like 1

Lisa, 

Thank you so much for taking your time to post this LIVE! So exciting to follow along! 

We will be sailing on the NS end of November & the Rotterdam the end of March. Unless I am doing something wrong I am unable to open the menu with the wines ( particularly Chardonnay) now offered on the premium beverage package. I am hoping they have changed from what was offered when we sailed back in 2019. I believe you mentioned you were looking into upgrading to the Elite package. Do you know which Chardonnay is offered on that ? Will they let you simply pay the difference for the upgraded wine as Celebrity does?

Enjoy every moment! 

Paula

1 hour ago, ksmaxey said:

OMG 😱 that would have been really nice to know about. We were never told nor given an invitation. We are almost 5 star but never hear a word of this. This really makes me sad and sort of angry 😢

• Like 9

Lisa thank you for the information on the wine packages.  I would not have been happy if they’d been gone.  It’s not worth it for me to purchase the drink package.  It’s too bad that the crew tried to dismiss the wine packages.  I get that they are finding their groove but I don’t love it when they don’t find out the answers for questions people have.  It seemed odd to me I could still purchase wine packages on my cruises if they weren’t available.

• Like 2