GUTTED - NZ travel bubble popped for 2 months.

Announced today https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/447527/nz-government-suspends-quarantine-free-travel-with-australia-for-at-least-eight-weeks We were due to fly to Cairns late August - I've pushed it out to early October by paying 60% more  from dear AirNZ . The rental car place was happy to move our booking but his sense of humour by pointing out its 28C in Cairns today was NOT appreciated 😞

1 minute ago, lissie said:

Announced today https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/447527/nz-government-suspends-quarantine-free-travel-with-australia-for-at-least-eight-weeks We were due to fly to Cairns late August - I've pushed it out to early October by paying 60% more  from dear AirNZ . The rental car place was happy to move our booking but his sense of humour by pointing out its 28C in Cairns today was NOT appreciated 😞

Glad you were able to rearrange your travel plans to Cairns to October.  Bit rich for Air NZ to charge you 60% more when Oct is not peak season!  Hope bubble reopens in Oct.

That's a shame, lissie, 😥 but it's the risk you take when you book travel these days. It's impossible to predict where this blasted virus will pop up next. 

We were thinking of doing a road trip up through Queensland next month but, luckily, hadn't booked anything. It was going to be one of those random "where shall we go next" trips. Ah well, that's life, pandemic style. ☹

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's a shame, lissie, 😥 but it's the risk you take when you book travel these days. It's impossible to predict where this blasted virus will pop up next. 

We were thinking of doing a road trip up through Queensland next month but, luckily, hadn't booked anything. It was going to be one of those random "where shall we go next" trips. Ah well, that's life, pandemic style. ☹

Yeah because August is peak season I'd booked everything car  and accommodation because of  the shortages up there. The accommodation can all be cancelled and the car is already rebooked.  I wouldn't normally do any of that in advance - but FNQ was really heavily booked. 

Yeah AirNZ are b*tards  for price gouging and I don't normally fly with them - but having credits with them is easier to reuse than with other airlines. I have zillions of points with Qantas but  they don't fly NZ - Cairns direct  and that matters for obvious reasons at the moment. 

On the plus side I should be vaccinated by October 

Yes, a lot of Queensland accommodation has been heavily booked this winter, especially for longer stays. 

How long had you had that trip booked for? I know airline prices often go up closer to departure dates once all the discounted seat allocations are taken. Particularly on international routes.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

7 May - so  its actually about the same length of time. The annoying thing is that they will almost certainly can the flights I've rebooked us  and route us via Brisbane. I do have the option to cancel for a credit which I may still do 

34 minutes ago, lissie said:

7 May - so  its actually about the same length of time. The annoying thing is that they will almost certainly can the flights I've rebooked us  and route us via Brisbane. I do have the option to cancel for a credit which I may still do 

From October onwards it gets very hot and humid in Cairns. We used to go to Port Douglas regularly in early September. Usually it was perfect but on a couple of occasions the hot and humid season started early and did we notice it!

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

We should stop the Kiwis coming here for the next couple of months fair  suck of the saveloy.

It's not really a tit for tat situation, is it.  I'm sure that it we had an uncontrolled outbreak, travel from NZ would be suspended, and rightly so.

• Like 2

Hi

talk about price gouging….I had a trip booked from Darwin to Broome.  It is cancelled but we were offered the same trip in September and tried to use our Qantas credit.   If you look at the prices on Qantas website and look at the prices you are offered when you have a credit.   Our full flights booked previously now only cover one way and that is having to fly all over the place to get back to melbourne from Broome.   Had plenty of frequent flyer points but offering from Melbourne to Darwin was the same.  Rotten times and a trip around australia to get there.  Ended up paying $1000 just to get to Darwin.  

thanks Qantas

eileen

50 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

talk about price gouging….I had a trip booked from Darwin to Broome.  It is cancelled but we were offered the same trip in September and tried to use our Qantas credit.   If you look at the prices on Qantas website and look at the prices you are offered when you have a credit.   Our full flights booked previously now only cover one way and that is having to fly all over the place to get back to melbourne from Broome.   Had plenty of frequent flyer points but offering from Melbourne to Darwin was the same.  Rotten times and a trip around australia to get there.  Ended up paying $1000 just to get to Darwin.  

thanks Qantas

eileen

Sorry you are so much out of pocket.  Did you see Rex Airlines are giving refunds due to covid and says all airlines should give refunds not credits within 3 days!  I lost all respect for Qantas when Ansett went under. Aust being an island needs a true National Carrier.