Nautica Next

Aloha 1

So, now that we know Nautica will be getting it's Oceania Next refurb beginning in 2022, what will the restaurant configuration be? Will it duplicate Sirena with Tuscan Steak and Red Ginger or will it follow Insignia and Regatta and have Toscana and Polo? Or, will there be a new twist?

1 minute ago, Aloha 1 said:

So, now that we know Nautica will be getting it's Oceania Next refurb beginning in 2022, what will the restaurant configuration be? Will it duplicate Sirena with Tuscan Steak and Red Ginger or will it follow Insignia and Regatta and have Toscana and Polo? Or, will there be a new twist?

This is an excellent question!

IMO, Sirena’s setup has been terrific. At first, I was concerned because items from both the Toscana and Polo Grill menus were deleted to accommodate the combination Tuscan Grill. But, I found that, with an advanced request, it usually has been possible to get items from their full menus. And the addition of Red Ginger! What more can be said😃?

However, with Vista on the horizon, the last thing O’s culinary design/build team needs is to be drawn in different directions. So, I am thinking (but not willing to bet) there will be no Red Ginger on Nautica. That said, I’d be very happy to be proved wrong.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I am thinking (but not willing to bet) there will be no Red Ginger on Nautica. That said, I’d be very happy to be proved wrong.

Thereby the adage: "Different strokes...etc."  We two would be very happy for you to be proved right!

The story I heard when Sirena was set up with Red Ginger and Tuscan Steak was that it would be the new standard for all R Class ships. There was an uproar from the past guest community and the RG and TS roll out to the other ships was scrapped.

While I love Red Ginger, I do not think they achieved the same ambiance and feel of Red Ginger as on Marina and Riviera.  Tuscan Steak was lacking too because so many Italian specialties were not on the menu. While Flatbush said we could request items in advance, we were not aware of that when we were on Sirena in December 2019. JMHO

Now for the UN bet, there will be no changes to the R Class Specialty dining lineup, Toscana and Polo will remain. Now for Vista, that is a whole new new ballgame that we may hear more about in September. 🤪👍

Ciao, 

Gerry 

Here is what I received from my contact at Oceania a few weeks back....

Nautica’s Re-inspiration will take place during the first quarter of 2022 and she will re-enter service on April 1, 2022. Better than new and more beautiful than ever, she will feature 342 brand new suites and staterooms and dramatically re-styled public spaces.

No mention of changing the dining venues, but I am hoping that they will put a Red Ginger on Nautica like they did on the Sirena. I loved it on the Riviera. 

• Like 1

They did not do it for the NEXT refit of Insignia or Regatta so why would they for Nautica. 

They put it in Sirena when they overhauled her after purchasing her.  IMO and experiment gone wrong.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, PaulMCO said:

They did not do it for the NEXT refit of Insignia or Regatta so why would they for Nautica. 

They put it in Sirena when they overhauled her after purchasing her.  IMO and experiment gone wrong.

We hope to be on our first Oceania sailing next January on Nautica for 32 days.  I have been following the threads regarding the Nautica upgrades, but since I don't have Oceania experience, was hoping for more dining choices. I just received the glossy brochure about Nautica refurbishment and so, its official.... No Red Ginger on Nautica.  Must say, I'm a little disappointed although I'm not sure why?  The whole experience sounds amazing and hope O knows what they are doing when you are taking people on extensive Asian itineraries with no Asian dining venue???  We have stayed with HAL because of variety of specialty dining on smaller ships and Silversea for luxury dining. O is our first try at "something in the middle"

4 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

We hope to be on our first Oceania sailing next January on Nautica for 32 days.  I have been following the threads regarding the Nautica upgrades, but since I don't have Oceania experience, was hoping for more dining choices. I just received the glossy brochure about Nautica refurbishment and so, its official.... No Red Ginger on Nautica.  Must say, I'm a little disappointed although I'm not sure why?  The whole experience sounds amazing and hope O knows what they are doing when you are taking people on extensive Asian itineraries with no Asian dining venue???  We have stayed with HAL because of variety of specialty dining on smaller ships and Silversea for luxury dining. O is our first try at "something in the middle"

Perhaps you may want to review more O threads on food here on CC by using the search feature. While it remains true that Sirena is the only Regatta Class ship with a separate Red Ginger (at a cost of combining Polo and Toscana as the Tuscan Grill), know that both the GDR and Terrace Café on the three other R ships occasionally  serve various items from the Red Ginger and Jacques menus. 

FWIW: Unlike most other lines, the specialty restaurants on Oceania ships serve the same quality of food (ingredients and preparation) in every dining venue - even at Waves, the casual pool eatery. What changes in the O Specialty restaurants is the ambiance and menu focus.

BTW: O Ships generally have 70%+ repeat passengers- many of them who were former HAL and Celebrity regulars who, once they had Oceania food, never again cruised on a mass market line. As for “luxury” lines, I trust you’ll find that their only main difference from ultra-premium O’s somewhat a la carte approach (aka “O Life”) is all-inclusive options (and a heftier price tag).

It’s no wonder that many food oriented publications (Saveur, Bon Appetit, etc) over the years have agreed that Oceania has the Finest Cuisine At Sea™️.

5 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

Wow. I have to say that's a gutsy move. 

First trip, 32 days? Nothing like pushing all the chips in the center of the table. 🙂

To your point - I'm glad my first experience recently was on a RG-enabled vessel. Every plate finds a different tastebud, but I'll say Red Ginger really blew my mind. 

• Like 2

We are doing our first Oceania Feb 11 on Marina - substituted from our initial booking on Sirena.  All the loyal posters of Oceania have said that was an excellent substitution and we are very lucky.

Looking at all the info on O website for this ship, I definitely agree and are very excited.

DH and I travel for the adventure and to see the world (88 countries and counting) and are not “foodies”.  But agree that this will be a treat - a different dining venue for at least 6 of the 12 days!  And I love the ambiance - the photos look incredible.

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps you may want to review more O threads on food here on CC by using the search feature. While it remains true that Sirena is the only Regatta Class ship with a separate Red Ginger (at a cost of combining Polo and Toscana as the Tuscan Grill), know that both the GDR and Terrace Café on the three other R ships occasionally  serve various items from the Red Ginger and Jacques menus. 

FWIW: Unlike most other lines, the specialty restaurants on Oceania ships serve the same quality of food (ingredients and preparation) in every dining venue - even at Waves, the casual pool eatery. What changes in the O Specialty restaurants is the ambiance and menu focus.

BTW: O Ships generally have 70%+ repeat passengers- many of them who were former HAL and Celebrity regulars who, once they had Oceania food, never again cruised on a mass market line. As for “luxury” lines, I trust you’ll find that their only main difference from ultra-premium O’s somewhat a la carte approach (aka “O Life”) is all-inclusive options (and a heftier price tag).

It’s no wonder that many food oriented publications (Saveur, Bon Appetit, etc) over the years have agreed that Oceania has the Finest Cuisine At Sea™️.

Thanks for your response and perspective. I'm sure we will enjoy the trip and dining very much. Just hope for no cancellations or itinerary changes. Like everyone else, were weary and anxious to get back to traveling as normally as possible.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

Wow. I have to say that's a gutsy move. 

First trip, 32 days? Nothing like pushing all the chips in the center of the table. 🙂

To your point - I'm glad my first experience recently was on a RG-enabled vessel. Every plate finds a different tastebud, but I'll say Red Ginger really blew my mind. 

Gee, never thought if it as a "gutsy" decision.  Trusting a good TA and CC advice, I'm sure we'll have a great time.  Guess I'm an incurable optimist?? We're in our mid late 70s, in great health after having some harrowing medical issues a few years back including one 11 day, unplanned stay at a Norwegian hospital mid-cruise.  So with gusto, we plan to gobble up as much as possible before we need assistance and have to forego travel.  We have plans to travel with kids and grandkids sometimes so we can share their "inheritance" with them before we go and have 6 cruises and 3 land tours to look forward to in the next 2 years.  Yeah, on further examination, you're right -- that is pretty gutsy!

• Like 4

On 7/23/2021 at 4:40 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is an excellent question!

IMO, Sirena’s setup has been terrific. At first, I was concerned because items from both the Toscana and Polo Grill menus were deleted to accommodate the combination Tuscan Grill. But, I found that, with an advanced request, it usually has been possible to get items from their full menus. And the addition of Red Ginger! What more can be said😃?

However, with Vista on the horizon, the last thing O’s culinary design/build team needs is to be drawn in different directions. So, I am thinking (but not willing to bet) there will be no Red Ginger on Nautica. That said, I’d be very happy to be proved wrong.

Looking at the Vista..I am seriously disappointed in its "down grading" much of it  culinary quality. and venue..  more toward the casual american cafe and family style  menu   Gone is the french influence which I feel important  but is not to the millennials  of the future.     

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Looking at the Vista..I am seriously disappointed in its "down grading" much of it  culinary quality. and venue..  more toward the casual american cafe and family style  menu   Gone is the french influence which I feel important  but is not to the millennials  of the future.     

Dan, Im not sure how you can be disappointed when you havent even seen or tried the food on Viast..I suggest give it a chance..and if we all dont like it..watch them change it!!

Jancruz1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:59 PM, PaulMCO said:

Paul and they are not changing an R ship..they will all have Polo and Toscana with the exception of Sirena

Jancruz1

On 2/1/2022 at 10:59 AM, Jancruz said:

Dan, Im not sure how you can be disappointed when you havent even seen or tried the food on Viast..I suggest give it a chance..and if we all dont like it..watch them change it!!

Jancruz1

Jan I am  disappointed in the type of food  and variety and  how iti is presented in more and more lesser presentations   

You don't have to get hit by a train to appreciate  that it is not something you's enjoy.   Thus I will be more content to enjoy that which I have been  enjoying on O and R  of current vintage design and cuisine

Too the monochromatic  ( oh hell, blah colors) scheme looks more appropriate for a prision or psych ward ambiance.     Sorry.       I feel that way too on the cabins.....

New, is not always better....    While the grass may seem greener on the other side of the hill im might be poison oak.1!!

You go  with what your heart desired kiddo....  I do not see merit in bettering a winning hand. I have already  know.

Dan, I won't go so far as to describe the new ship as appropriate for a prison or psych ward, but I do confess that I was disappointed in the new decors.  Not enough to avoid the ship (!) but still .... not what I would prefer.

But they never asked me so they were free to proceed as they wished!  😀

I'll have to wait until I actually board to discuss dining venues ...

Mura

4 minutes ago, Mura said:

Dan, I won't go so far as to describe the new ship as appropriate for a prison or psych ward, but I do confess that I was disappointed in the new decors.  Not enough to avoid the ship (!) but still .... not what I would prefer.

But they never asked me so they were free to proceed as they wished!  😀

I'll have to wait until I actually board to discuss dining venues ...

Mura

Good luck and I hope you find what you want.....      I  find  no attraction whatsoever  for me.

Dan I think the answer is ( IMHO) if you dont change up things people get bored and start ;looking elsewhere for new.. Truthfully, I have not paid much attention to the Vista as I usually dont form any opinions until the family and friends sailing which I go on prior to the Inaugural..after that, I promise to post my honest opinion on what I think..pictures dont interest me at all..

Stay safe..

Jancruz1

• Like 3