Carnival vacation protection question

I have never used Carnival vacation protection in the past. I was looking at the different booking options and saw different prices for the protection plan. For example using the cheers to you offer the price is $190, but using the military offer or wifi offer the price is $158. Wondering is there a reason it's not the same price across the board?

The cost of the insurance is based on the total cost of your cruise.  We had our up coming cruise paid in full and just decided to switch to a Suite.  In doing so, not only did I have to pay the difference for the room upgrade but also an additional amount for the insurance and also gratuities (because these are higher in a suite as well).

The rates you are quoting would also make the price of the room different as well, thus the insurance difference

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I have never used Carnival vacation protection in the past. I was looking at the different booking options and saw different prices for the protection plan. For example using the cheers to you offer the price is $190, but using the military offer or wifi offer the price is $158. Wondering is there a reason it's not the same price across the board?

Are you talking about price matching? It kinda reads like you are asking about insurance.

My wifi and cheers offer was the same price. If you choose military and nothing included that's what you get. The cheers fare includes 15 alcoholic drinks a day. Whichever you book is what you get. If you book cheers and then matched military you would lose the cheers.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Are you talking about price matching? It kinda reads like you are asking about insurance.

My wifi and cheers offer was the same price. If you choose military and nothing included that's what you get. The cheers fare includes 15 alcoholic drinks a day. Whichever you book is what you get. If you book cheers and then matched military you would lose the cheers.

No - OP was in inquiring why the insurance price would be different with different fare codes, it is because the insurance price is based on the cost of the cruise.. So different fare codes make the cruise different prices, and the insurance will be different accordingly.

• Thanks 2

The insurance Carnival offers is group insurance, so your age, pre-existing conditions, etc, don't matter as long as you purchase in time. Carnival also tosses in a cancel for any reason rider.

The older you are, the more sense Carnival insurance makes.

9 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Thanks for the answers, I understand now. It's it still a good idea to shop around or is Carnivals plan a decent option, I'm kinda lazy lol.

We never used to buy Carnival's.  For a lot of years we didn't buy any insurance.  NOW that we are older it just makes sense and have for a few years now.

We never did Carnival's because we could find better insurance at a better price.  

We have opted to just add theirs for our cruises for now though.  My personal reason is that Carnival is requesting specific coverages and the policy you get must not specifically exclude Covid.

I know after what has happened a lot of plans will have specific clauses in them related to pandemics, etc.  (We had to use a plan we had purchased when the crap hit the fan Spring of last year, we had a 1st class trip overseas booked, thank God for the insurance!)  But these companies have been hit hard, and like I said I would bet there are clauses somewhere in a lot of them now excluding such events. NOT all, but some

I just didn't want to deal with trying to make sure I got a plan that didn't have something hidden in the fine print about not covering Pandemics, etc.  Normally I am not lazy and will just do the leg work, but this year at least, I am taking the easy way out and just doing Carnival's.  I know it covers me.

Edited by wemjam

2 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

We are older, I don't feel like doing research so getting Carnivals makes sense. Now if I could just find where on my account online I can add it.

Log into your Carnival account, and go to your Cruise Manager. Then, click on the Booking & Order Details tab, and you can add it right there. Depending on how far out your cruise is, it will tell you if payment is due now, or later. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The insurance Carnival offers is group insurance, so your age, pre-existing conditions, etc, don't matter as long as you purchase in time. Carnival also tosses in a cancel for any reason rider.

The older you are, the more sense Carnival insurance makes.

I rarely purchase insurance, guess if I need it they'll have some loophole to deny my coverage. I'm surprised Carnival would "toss in" a cancel for any reason rider. I thought that type of coverage cost extra? Guess I"ll have to give Carnival protection another look as I'm not getting younger.

1 minute ago, mondello said:

I rarely purchase insurance, guess if I need it they'll have some loophole to deny my coverage. I'm surprised Carnival would "toss in" a cancel for any reason rider. I thought that type of coverage cost extra? Guess I"ll have to give Carnival protection another look as I'm not getting younger.

The "Cancel for any reason" coverage is for 75% of your cruise fare, and is given as a Future Cruise Credit. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mondello said:

Carnival tosses it in. It costs them nothing. I think you get a FCC for 75% of the cruise price or something like that. The insurance itself is through Nationwide and a group policy as mentioned.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Carnival tosses it in. It costs them nothing. I think you get a FCC for 75% of the cruise price or something like that. The insurance itself is through Nationwide and a group policy as mentioned.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out completely is about pre-existing condition coverage. With conventional travel insurance, you need to purchase it within a certain time frame of your first payment for a trip (for some plans) and certainly before Final Payment. I understand that at the minimum the 75% coverage would kick in, but I wondered about cancelling for a medical reason of an existing condition you have that makes you unable to travel (progression of an existing disease, for example).

4 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out completely is about pre-existing condition coverage. With conventional travel insurance, you need to purchase it within a certain time frame of your first payment for a trip (for some plans) and certainly before Final Payment. I understand that at the minimum the 75% coverage would kick in, but I wondered about cancelling for a medical reason of an existing condition you have that makes you unable to travel (progression of an existing disease, for example).

Insurance is on a state by state basis. Perhaps your answer is in here:

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/CCL_Landing.html

We always buy trip insurance but never from the cruise line.  We find much better coverage and rates through www.insuremytrip.com

Because we are older we want to make sure the medical and medical evacuation coverage is good enough.  We had a friend who became sick onboard and had to be taken off in Cozumel.  He had the cruise ship insurance and quickly found out that the scant $10,000 in medical coverage wasn’t nearly enough!!

The policy we get usually has anywhere from $100,000-$500,000 in medical and $500,000-$1,000,000 in medical evacuation.  Big difference if you ever need it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned previously, the price is dependent on the cruise fare AND it is a group policy (which is why it is so cheap). I highly recommend getting insurance through a third party since the Carnival Protection Plan (Carnival Insurance) is garbage. Travel guard is good. I go with Nationwide Cruise Luxury. Nationwide offers a variety of insurance policies specifically for cruise ship passengers. Since we are young, it is just slightly more expensive but the coverage is phenomenal. For instance, Carnival's plan only gives up to $30,000 for medical evacuation and Nationwide luxury offers $1,000,000. Nationwide Luxury also covers a lot more situations. It covers pre-existing conditions and has a cancel for any reason option. Shop around and find a policy that fits your needs. Squaremouth is a great website to compare policies. But, Carnival's policy is garbage.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:55 PM, Wanna_Cruize said:

If your pre-existing condition is stable, you are covered for cancellation as well as medical. Stable means you have not changed any prescriptions or received treatment other than routine care within the look back period.

I think you are confusing pre-existing conditions with cancel for any reason. To qualify for a pre-existing condition waiver, the policy must be purchased within the required window, usually 14-21 days after initial deposit, but there are policies that grant the waiver at final payment. 

The cancel for any reason must be purchased at initial deposit and covers cancellation, usually at 75% cash.