Concerns about actually booking one

CptBoatface

Looks like demand is exploding for these. Wonder if they will add extra ships and itineraries and hoping we can get ourselves a wee little balcony for 2025. With some luck demand will slow and capacity increase. But these sellout times make us nervous 😓 

5 hours ago, CptBoatface said:

With some luck demand will slow and capacity increase. 

My opinion:  demand will slow, but capacity won't significantly increase.  

Pre-Covid, the early booking of world cruises was taking place; in the hoped for Covid reduced world, this demand, simply due to demographics, will still be strong, but, I suspect not as strong as it has recently been.  (Sort of like what we went through with the hoarding of toilet paper?  "Got to get mine while it's possible to do."  😀)  With so many booking so far in advance, there is likely to be cancellations which will help those who want to sail on a world cruise, but not book so far in advance. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CptBoatface said:

Looks like demand is exploding for these. Wonder if they will add extra ships and itineraries and hoping we can get ourselves a wee little balcony for 2025. With some luck demand will slow and capacity increase. But these sellout times make us nervous 😓 

At present the normal supply & demand equation is not balanced, as the cancelled 2020, 2021 and even some 2022 cruises have built an incredible demand.

After a couple of years, I expect the backlog will dissipate and World Cruises will return to a more balanced supply/demand equilibrium by 2025/26.

• Like 2

I am having such a hard time find information about details of world cruises excursions.  I am finding it hard to locate info on Cruise Critic and I know you are knowledgeable and maybe can help.  I went on a Viking cruise - Tokyo to Vancouver and know they give you a books with details but since Im signed up for the 23/24 World Cruise that book is far in the distance.  Does anyone post excursion information?  Sorry to post something off topic, thank you for any help.

1 hour ago, annxstitch said:

I am having such a hard time find information about details of world cruises excursions.  I am finding it hard to locate info on Cruise Critic and I know you are knowledgeable and maybe can help.  I went on a Viking cruise - Tokyo to Vancouver and know they give you a books with details but since Im signed up for the 23/24 World Cruise that book is far in the distance.  Does anyone post excursion information?  Sorry to post something off topic, thank you for any help.

I think your best bet is to go to the Ports of Call section and visit the pages for the specific ports you will visit.  Searching there you will find info on what people have done in those places -- no guarantee the cruise line will offer that, but at least you have an idea of what to do/see in each place.  You will also get information on tour companies that others have used.  You can also do general research about the ports so that you know what you'd like even if its not offered by the cruise line.

Second bit of advice is to go to the cruise line page here on cruisecritic and search for old threads from world cruisers with similar itinerary.  Reading those may give you information on the types of things that were offered in the past. 

Finally, I would look at the cruise line website to see if they have excursion information for their 2022 cruises on the ports you will visit.  Again it will just give you an idea of what to expect.

1 hour ago, annxstitch said:

but since Im signed up for the 23/24 World Cruise that book is far in the distance. 

You are not going to receive shore excursion information about your cruise this far in advance, as you realize.  The suggestions to do some additional researching on the Forums in the countries that your cruise is expected to visit would provide you with the information that you are seeking, maybe.  

Visiting your public library and obtaining some Guidebooks about those countries and regions would also provide you with general information about the countries and the ports that you will be visiting.  Frankly, for a cruise as far out as yours, this is what I would do.  It's what I did.  

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You are not going to receive shore excursion information about your cruise this far in advance, as you realize.  The suggestions to do some additional researching on the Forums in the countries that your cruise is expected to visit would provide you with the information that you are seeking, maybe.  

Visiting your public library and obtaining some Guidebooks about those countries and regions would also provide you with general information about the countries and the ports that you will be visiting.  Frankly, for a cruise as far out as yours, this is what I would do.  It's what I did.  

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  It is not what I can see on the excursions but the cost of them.  With so many stops on the world cruise I would love to come up with some kind of priority as to which ones are very costly but good and others that would be included and suit the bill.  Again thank you

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, annxstitch said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  It is not what I can see on the excursions but the cost of them.  With so many stops on the world cruise I would love to come up with some kind of priority as to which ones are very costly but good and others that would be included and suit the bill.  Again thank you

I understand what you are saying!  That was an issue for me when I booked my 2008 world cruise on the Amsterdam.  Some of the shore excursions were very pricey.  When I initially saw the price of an overland trip from Chennai, India to Mumbai that included air from Chennai to New Delhi, tours, hotel, and transport in and from New Delhi to Jaipur, to Agra, back to New Delhi and then meeting the ship in Mumbai:  the price was a WOW!  

I asked myself some questions.

Do you want to see these sights?

Are you going to be able to do this again?  With any certainty that you will be able to do so?  

Can you afford this extra cost?  

My answers led me to book this trip.  (And, it is just one example of other expensive tours that I have taken.)  If I had not done so, I would have robbed myself of travel experiences that remain indelible in my memory.  

4 hours ago, annxstitch said:

Congratulations on booking the newly released Viking 23/24 WC. We are on the 22/23 WC, which is our 2nd Viking WC and is identical to the 23/24.

For the 2020 WC, the Viking World Cruise Desk provided us with a pdf copy of the shore-ex that were planned to be available, about 9 months before departure.

With Viking you have an included shore-ex in every port and at time of booking you received a significant Shore-ex OBC to purchase optional excursions. Generally, we find the Viking optional shore-ex more reasonably priced than the mega ship cruise lines.

May I suggest joining the Roll Calls for the 22/23 WC and your 23/24 WC. The 22/23 WC is very active and we already have some private tours arranged. I have also posted the pdf list from 2020, but note prices were CAN$.

Here is the link to the Viking Neptune Roll Call. Suggest avoiding the 23 WC thread, as it is a duplicate.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2503-viking-neptune-roll-calls/

On 7/25/2021 at 10:47 PM, Heidi13 said:

At present the normal supply & demand equation is not balanced, as the cancelled 2020, 2021 and even some 2022 cruises have built an incredible demand.

After a couple of years, I expect the backlog will dissipate and World Cruises will return to a more balanced supply/demand equilibrium by 2025/26.

You might be correct.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:37 PM, annxstitch said:

annxstitch,  here is a link that may help you.  I use to when planning just about any cruise to see what sort of attractions there are for each port of call.  They offer a return to the ship guarantee also.

Shore Excursions Group - Top rated cruise excursions, cruise shore excursions in Alaska, the Caribbean, Europe and more!

I also use what's in port to find out more information about just about any port of call. 

Your cruise guide to 1200 cruise ports of call (whatsinport.com)

Also, it's helpful to remember that there is no rule that you have to get off the ship in every port.  There are some places that we have either been to before, or the local flora and fauna holds no attraction to us any more - such as some Caribbean ports.  Those days spent on an uncrowded ship can be very relaxing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 11:37 AM, annxstitch said:

Here is a link to my blog with a lot of reference items for the HAL 2020 World Cruise.  This included the complete shore excursion booklet which will give you a feel for the prices in various ports.  I have attached a copy of the excursions that were offered on the 2022 world cruise (not canceled)

HAL Shore Excursions Jul 2021.pdf

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here is a link to my blog with a lot of reference items for the HAL 2020 World Cruise.  This included the complete shore excursion booklet which will give you a feel for the prices in various ports.  I have attached a copy of the excursions that were offered on the 2022 world cruise (not canceled)

HAL Shore Excursions Jul 2021.pdf 2.85 MB · 2 downloads

Thank you so very much. I quickly looked at the excursions and some of the information will be very informative for me to get some idea of pricing.  I have plenty of time to digest all this information.  I clicked on the link to your blog and have to work on figuring out how to sign up.  Thank you again and safe travels

On 7/29/2021 at 7:31 AM, SargassoPirate said:

annxstitch,  here is a link that may help you.  I use to when planning just about any cruise to see what sort of attractions there are for each port of call.  They offer a return to the ship guarantee also.

Shore Excursions Group - Top rated cruise excursions, cruise shore excursions in Alaska, the Caribbean, Europe and more!

I also use what's in port to find out more information about just about any port of call. 

Your cruise guide to 1200 cruise ports of call (whatsinport.com)

Also, it's helpful to remember that there is no rule that you have to get off the ship in every port.  There are some places that we have either been to before, or the local flora and fauna holds no attraction to us any more - such as some Caribbean ports.  Those days spent on an uncrowded ship can be very relaxing.

I just came upon your response to my question and thank you so very much.  The whats in port site should be a great source of information.  We have been so very lucky in the past to have taken several land tours to India, China, Australia and New Zealand, Southeast Asia and several more so I do understand not leaving the ship and in truth we are looking to this world cruise to be relaxing and to only go on excursions in places we have never been to.  I hope your travels are safe and again thank you.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, annxstitch said:

Thank you so very much. I quickly looked at the excursions and some of the information will be very informative for me to get some idea of pricing.  I have plenty of time to digest all this information.  I clicked on the link to your blog and have to work on figuring out how to sign up.  Thank you again and safe travels

You can sign up in the lower right corner

image.png.2c22c649e0533c4fd6908163a04ad84b.png

On 9/20/2021 at 1:54 PM, annxstitch said:

I just came upon your response to my question and thank you so very much.  The whats in port site should be a great source of information.  We have been so very lucky in the past to have taken several land tours to India, China, Australia and New Zealand, Southeast Asia and several more so I do understand not leaving the ship and in truth we are looking to this world cruise to be relaxing and to only go on excursions in places we have never been to.  I hope your travels are safe and again thank you.

You're welcome. Safe travels.