On board Apex now. Bullet point synopsis and observations!

ian441672

4 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I think you meant Crystalize as the show name. 

My favorite show was Rockumentary performed on the last night of the cruise for us.  They really did an amazing job with it.  Crystalize was very good, but the last one was a bit better.  YMMV.  

I did mean Crystalize! Memory is awful! I will look forward to Rockumentary as well then, thanks for tip but not sure if it can surpass last nights 😉! Hope it gets bear to it. 

• Like 1

Just now, ian441672 said:

I did mean Crystalize! Memory is awful! I will look forward to Rockumentary as well then, thanks for tip but not sure if it can surpass last nights 😉! Hope it gets bear to it. 

Not bear. *near. 

Phone typing at speed. Sorry. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. The photos are amazing.

Thank you. Nice if you to say. I end up doing the wife’s photos as well. Or just WhatsApp-ing her 100 over at once…. As I did yesterday!! 

Right, just had breakfast on the balcony. I think because the kitchen in Luminae is just 2 floors down from our room, it arrived nicely warm and tasty for a change! Our friendly butler set it up outside for us on the rubbish small table, ending up also on the sun bed, but it did the job. Off out in 15!  

Thanks all for your comments. 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

One for Mrs Ian perhaps: is there any Inaugural Apex merchandise in the shops ( teeshirts or fleeces) please?

Enjoy Dubrovnik!🍻

Would love to hear the prices.  On EDGE they were  ridiculous.. $50 range..we were told they were bamboo or some other pricey material.  The men's caps were cheaper but fit odd.  We bought a  key chain, magnet  and an EDGE "model".  They had nothing for children at all. And no postcards.

I did get 2 nice pieces of EDGE jewelry  and a wristlet on sale . one was modeled in the pool  light display ( forgot its name..prism? ) and the other was a movable piece. Have not worn them recently.....but  both  get compiments when I do.

Just remember that Greek VAT is added - 24%! Shops were very quiet - I did buy a magnet, pen and two insulated mugs though to use up some OBC.

Wendy

PS If you were making big purchases you would be able to claim that VAT back but our purchases weren’t that big!

Edited by wendyam76

45 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

Just remember that Greek VAT is added - 24%! Shops were very quiet - I did buy a magnet, pen and two insulated mugs though to use up some OBC.

Wendy

PS If you were making big purchases you would be able to claim that VAT back but our purchases weren’t that big!

Ouch! I’ll pass! 

2 hours ago, wendyam76 said:

Wendy

Plan for extra time at the airport to claim back the VAT.  The line was long, and slow moving.  My travel friend gave up on claiming it back b/c of that.  She made some big purchases in the shop, but decided the hassle wasn't worth the $25+ refund.  YMMV

1 hour ago, luv2ndhalf said:

Thanks for sharing! We sail in September! Are masks required outdoors while on deck?

Appreciate all the info…. Have an amazing day!

I think they are asked to be worn if in transit to another part of the ship,  but they seem fairly relaxed, but equally most people seem compliant. When on sun beds or walking around the deck just from A to B to A again, probably not, but to the bar, bathroom or another area then yes. The crew always seem to be wearing theirs in any situation which is good. 

Re Duty Free, the shop staff crew were lamenting about the Greek government hiking up the VAT and no one was coming into their shops as everyone thought it too expensive. There is no liquor for sale due to Eu rules and the countries we visit. There were some souvenirs replacing the drink but we didn’t pay too much attention. Stores were empty and prices high. Shame. 

Had nice dinner last night in Luminae and I do like a cognac and coffee post dinner. I asked for a Remy Martin (I have a taste for the XO and higher at home, but not on board!!) but was told only Courvosier was available at this bar. I expressed a minor disappointment which he picked up on and said if I didn’t mind waiting 5 minutes he would get me some. In 4 minutes he was back, sporting a large glass of warm water and the brandy glass itself placed at an angle, resting on top to warm up, as he explained, to help the aroma and taste come through. How’s that for service?! I was impressed. 

Tonight unfortunately nothing appeals and we didn’t think to see what else we could ask them to cook early enough. Plus I don’t like to look too needy or fussy (I am sometimes lol), so I asked the retreat concierge if any spaces were available at the finer cut steak restaurant. She looked at her computer and said only at 9pm. I suggested 7.45? She picked up the phone mumbling a special code to her colleague which I presumed was ship talk for suite guests, (some initials I thought was like QVC but it probably wasn’t that, but similar!). That did the trick somehow and we now have a reservation just before 8 so we can have a nice dinner before the Caravan production show is on at the Club. 

More displays of some great service. Nice day in Dubrovnik though I do prefer Montenegro I think as a harbour and area. I may change my mind next week for the riviera coastal tour. Old town though was nice, cobbled and tiny streets paved with cafes and chatter. Glad we went and lovely day with the cable car views and old town sights. 

Lunch at the retreat deck,  more or less to ourselves and services as attentive as ever. 

Pre dinner cocktail time now. Incidentally my wife said she had the best non uk Espresso Martini cocktail last night in the theatre, so it MUST be good! Our butler reserved some seats, though we forgot about him he spotted us and waved ferociously at us so we went over to him and he sat us in some good seats. Fairly busy but not crowded and mostly social distancing though some guests just plonked themselves anywhere not thinking about distancing which must have been annoying for the other people. 

I might try on if those Martinis 😉

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Ian - how did you enjoy the view from the Cable Car?  Hope you had a great day!

Canuck

Hey, yes thanks. Brief review above, lovely view, relaxed and not many people around which was good. Old town busier but still comfortable with it. They preferred you to travel back with them which we did after 3.5 hour tour. As said , I preferred Montenegro and some of the Italian villages they take you (San Gimignano?) but I am comparing against some outstanding beauty. Great day, lose an hour time wise tonight, but sea day tomorrow so that’s good!  Thanks. 

@ian441672 you should be able to get some everyday classics at Luminae - we never asked though I did get the children’s sized filet mignon for my mum one night. Also you’d be able to go to Blu and probably any of the 4 main dining rooms as it isn’t busy. Must admit I spent a lot of time on the app to check there was things for my mum a couple of weeks ago. 
As for good brandy - go to Cafe al baccio and Anna will warm a proper brandy glass and send somebody to either Craft Social or Le Grand Bistro to get the good stuff! Personally hate it but my mum likes it! 

41 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

They preferred you to travel back with them which we did after 3.5 hour tour.

Did something change with this tour?  We were there last week, and were allowed to travel back on any of the shuttle buses after this tour.  The only exception was a family with small kids.  They were not allowed to roam freely due to trying to keep a bit of a safe bubble on the ship.

36 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

Hey, yes thanks. Brief review above, lovely view, relaxed and not many people around which was good. Old town busier but still comfortable with it. They preferred you to travel back with them which we did after 3.5 hour tour. As said , I preferred Montenegro and some of the Italian villages they take you (San Gimignano?) but I am comparing against some outstanding beauty. Great day, lose an hour time wise tonight, but sea day tomorrow so that’s good!  Thanks. 

Glad that you were able to go up in the Cable Car to see the views.  Yes - San Gimignano was one of our favourites on a previous Med trip.

Glad you were able to get a reservation at Fine Cut - hope you enjoy it.  Make sure you tell the Luminae waiter and/or Maitre'D that there was nothing you fancied, so you went to Fine Cut - curious to see the reaction.  On Solstice, they were quite good with my food allergies (always have to order the day ahead) & as I didn't care for the Luminae menu or couldn't eat it - I usually ordered from the Main Dining Room menu.  That was easy on the Solstice - but kitchens are not close enough on Apex/Edge, so interested to know exactly "what" they will do for you.  Have read various reports that people were able to get anything they wanted, ordering ahead, but others reported that they had to go to the 4 dining rooms to eat as they didn't care for the Luminae food.  Just wondering how "receptive" they would be to ordering some Beef Wellington from Normandie ahead of time and getting it in Luminae. Let me know how you make out.

Cheers,

Canuck

5 hours ago, wendyam76 said:

Wendy

If the cruise stops in Dubrovnik the Greek or EU VAT would not apply. Croatia is not part of Greece nor the EU.

3 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

If the cruise stops in Dubrovnik the Greek or EU VAT would not apply. Croatia is not part of Greece nor the EU.

I would double check that - Croatia is part of the EU now. My cruise was only Greek ports but I did a quick search and checked that Croatia is part of the EU. 

5 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

I would double check that - Croatia is part of the EU now. My cruise was only Greek ports but I did a quick search and checked that Croatia is part of the EU. 

I stand semi corrected. What threw me is Croatia does not use the Euro nor is it part of the Schengen Agreement. There is a VAT but it varies. You can have  meal in a restaurant and there is no VAT, buy olive oil-no VAT, etc.

9 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

I stand semi corrected. What threw me is Croatia does not use the Euro nor is it part of the Schengen Agreement. There is a VAT but it varies. You can have  meal in a restaurant and there is no VAT, buy olive oil-no VAT, etc.

It’s relatively recent - 2013. Obviously I’m not onboard at the moment but remembered on previous cruises in this area it was only if we were in Montenegro we didn’t have to pay VAT. 

10 hours ago, keiki40 said:

@ian441672 When you ordered roomservice for breakfast, were you able to order the regular Luminae breakfast items?

Hi, yes, it seemed an extended breakfast menu very similar to that offered in Luminae and with the kitchen now close-ish to the room, it was quick and warm. 

Canuck- I hear they will pretty much prepare anything for you if you ask in advance, and I realise I can to go Blu or MDR if I wanted, but Blu didn’t really appeal tbh, and I didn’t look at MDR, tho that is my fault. Luminae seems good tonight and tomorrow is Magic Carpet dinner. 

Had cocktails there last night and there only 3 couples taking advantage of the glorious views and cooling, sometimes gusty, breeze. Shame, but we enjoyed the space and views all to ourselves. Bartenders chatty and good fun. We popped down to the Martini bar and again only 5 couples or so. The bartenders were playing around with their shakers, and having a good time amongst themselves which was nice. 

Fine Cut was superb and glad we did it. One for next week for sure. Service was good, though a bit slow, but nothing untoward. The Captain was hosting a dinner next to us with about 12 people including a couple of officers and it was just less than half full at 8pm. Scallops were amazing, shrimp cocktail good too. The steak just fell apart and was so tasty. Sommelier suggested some wine pairing and it was a lovely evening, good humour and atmosphere. 

We are not dessert people but we saw what the captain was having, one of the alcohol laden chocolate bombes that they ignite for you and it melts to reveal the insides. This was off menu but I jokingly said I wanted what he was having. 10 minutes later after my coffee and cognac turned up and I had forgotten my jokey comment, guess what?! Yep, a surprise chocolate bombe thingy. Another example of outstanding service. 

Saw Caravan after  all that in the Club. It was good, but we preferred the other two we saw. The Alice in Wonderland is on again in Eden tonight so I think we may watch that again after a BGT semi finalist in the Theatre at 9.30. 

Glad it’s a sea day today. Lost an hour time difference, enjoyed myself a bit too much with the alcohol intake last night, so a relaxing day on the retreat deck I think. Shhhh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Croatia joined the EU on July 1st, 2013. They are not part of the Schengen community and don´t have the Euro. But as they are part of the EU the VAT rule applies. And as the cruise starts in Greece it´s the Greek VAT which is added on everything onboard.

steamboats