Recommended hotel near Manhattan cruise pier?

craig01020

We always stay up around Times Sq. It is up the road from the port and a lot more to do and see. It will be a bit more expensive, but if we are spending time in NYC, might as well stay somewhere within walking distance of the sites (Times Sq, Rockefeller center, theater district, etc.)

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We always stay up around Times Sq. It is up the road from the port and a lot more to do and see. It will be a bit more expensive, but if we are spending time in NYC, might as well stay somewhere within walking distance of the sites (Times Sq, Rockefeller center, theater district, etc.)

3 hours ago, craig01020 said:

I'm looking to book a hotel for one night in October before my Bermuda cruise from NYC.  Any recommendations? Thanks.

To be more specific, we have been staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square at 8th Ave and W 48th St (since the Doubletree closed). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

To be more specific, we have been staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square at 8th Ave and W 48th St (since the Doubletree closed). 

That's where I stayed on my last cruise in late February 2020. I took the shuttle/subway combo from La Guardia to 50th/8th stop. Walked a couple of blocks to hotel. Next day, walked to the pier. Very convenient and near the sites.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

Kimpton Ink is one block from the pier. Not much to do or see in the ares though

That's Ink48, right?

That is the hotel we will choose. Amazing view from some rooms. Maybe not the most interesting area but walking distance to lots of things and as you said very close to the port.

• Thanks 1

One night. How many people? What's the date (not seeing it in your signature)? How are you traveling to Manhattan? Are you arriving early enough to do anything, or are you just looking for a place for the night? Budget?

If you're flying in and only need one night with no plans to sightsee, almost anywhere in Manhattan is close to the cruise port, especially on a Saturday morning. I'd generally like to be west of Sixth Avenue if in Midtown just to cut down on the crosstown traffic and taxi fare. But Downtown/Financial District also works and it's arguably an easier Uptown drive to the port. There are dozens of hotels that will accomplish that task and they're all over Manhattan.

If you're coming in by Amtrak, there are numerous hotels near Penn Station not named Hotel Pennsylvania that will accomplish the same. My personal favorite has spiked dramatically in pricing right now, but could easily come back down as October gets closer.

If you're getting into the city early enough to do something pre-cruise, then I'd look for a hotel near the attraction you're wanting to visit.

There are certainly chain hotels near the port, but they're not necessarily great hotels, and the location isn't all that great either.

40 minutes ago, markeb said:

How are you traveling to Manhattan?

Hi Markeb. After looking at hotels, we won't be traveling the day before the cruise. We would be traveling from Springfield, Mass. for the Oct. 10 cruise on an early train which gets us to Penn Station at 9:30 or 11:30 am.

I haven't updated the cruises on my signature yet. Still debating whether to cancel the Greece cruise in favor of Bermuda.

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

Hi Markeb. After looking at hotels, we won't be traveling the day before the cruise. We would be traveling from Springfield, Mass. for the Oct. 10 cruise on an early train which gets us to Penn Station at 9:30 or 11:30 am.

I haven't updated the cruises on my signature yet. Still debating whether to cancel the Greece cruise in favor of Bermuda.

Frankly that is a stupid idea -- most of the time Amtrak gets you to where you want to go at about the time you want to get there. 

Sometimes they do not.

5 hours ago, craig01020 said:

What's your boarding time on the cruise? From Springfield, that's a Regional, I believe. I wish there was some good on time reliability info on Amtrak right now; over 90% of the time (probably well over) I've had no issues from DC. The primary issues I had once up on a time before I started driving to Union Station were on the NE Regional trains from south of DC and closer to home...

Just keep an eye out before committing. I'd seriously consider staying over night if you can. A lot of hotels are doing one day cancellations, so it's no harm/no foul.  I love Amtrak in this part of the world, but I'm usually gambling on missing a first night in a Manhattan hotel. If I've got theater tickets, or reservations at my favorite restaurant, I'm on Acela and early...

Be mindful that many of the popular NYC hotels, including the ones near the piers (Brooklyn & midtown) as well as the ones in/around the Times Square theater districts, have been contracted and used by the City of NY to house the homeless population (and as shelters for those that tested positive for C-19 virus) - and, while some left & the hotels returned to the traveling "public" ... not others & they aren't going anytime soon, with legal challenges & cases being in the courts.  Some of that could and are expected to change in the coming months, i.e. eviction moratorium under a lame duck city mayoral administration and the ongoing feud with the governor, as to who's calling the shots & able to issue executive orders.

Beware of your hotel's surroundings, both day & evenings/late night if returning - travel smartly and be careful of crime & personal safety underground when taking the subways ... the mass transit system is used by milions on a daily basis as more are expected to gradually return to offices & place of work.  Bedbugs remained to be an issue, as the little bugs don't care whether it's a 2 stars or 4 and 5 stars property.  Feel free to use this link to check against the list, as reported - lots of red zones or hot spots marked in the midtown west / Manhattan, as in Times Square & in walking distance of MCT - Pier 88/90/92

https://bedbugregistry.com/hotel/chains/

P.S.  If you find a hotel at a location and price that you like in the metro NY area, for the dates you are looking ahead for - as long as it has a good & flexible cancellation policy, book it & lock in the deal & discount ... but check back with those discount/online sites for changes in prices and maybe, better deals as it get closer.  We can all probably see and get a better feel by this Fall as things continue to evolve.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

We are also from Western Mass and we typically drive to Stamford Ct and park there (was $12/day) then you have a choice of Metro North or Amtrak to get you to NYC.

We will normally go the day before and we will stay within walking distance of the port - We have stayed at Ink48 (it was a free night just after it joined IHG!) and more typically stay at the Holiday Inn Midtown West.

I like not having to worry about a car breakdown or bad weather and have a dinner (great food in Hells Kitchen area)  and in the morning casually stroll down to the ship!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cricket200 said:

more typically stay at the Holiday Inn Midtown West.

This hotel is no longer a Holiday Inn; it has been taken over by another chain.

1 hour ago, cricket200 said:

Great food in Hells Kitchen area;

You will be astonished at the number of places on 9th Avenue that have gone out of business since Covid-19 started. Be very careful, as this is now a very dangerous area because of all the mentally-ill homeless. I live here, and I am now reluctant to go out at night.

Edited by Langoustine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Langoustine said:

This hotel is no longer a Holiday Inn; it has been taken over by another chain.

I have friends who said same about crime in Manhattan in general, I do love some of the restaurants in Hell’s Kitchen, restaurant row has my favorite Becco , always good idea to be aware of your surrounding. Some restaurants are now just reopening like Joe Allen. I personally can’t wait to get back to that area. I prefer hotels in other locations but do like the restaurants and bars there.

Edited by George C

We walked EVERYWHERE in lower Manhattan over July 4th weekend (clocked 28 miles on my pedometer), from the southern tip to the 60's, from the Hudson to the East River and we did see more homeless than in the past, but no sign of crime or other danger.

Lots of empty storefronts, but the cries of NEW YORK ARE DANGEROUS are overblown.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Good morning,

I can't recall if I have already asked this and if so I apologize for the repost but I am looking for recommendations from those of you experienced with the NYC terminal area for a pre-cruise hotel. We are a group of 10 currently booked for Bermuda on May 29, 2022 and we are flying in the day before in hopes of getting there early enough to see a few sites.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, prbffd28 said:

Good morning,

I can't recall if I have already asked this and if so I apologize for the repost but I am looking for recommendations from those of you experienced with the NYC terminal area for a pre-cruise hotel. We are a group of 10 currently booked for Bermuda on May 29, 2022 and we are flying in the day before in hopes of getting there early enough to see a few sites.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You may be better off starting a new thread. How many rooms are you looking for? Which airport are you flying in to?

1 hour ago, markeb said:

You may be better off starting a new thread. How many rooms are you looking for? Which airport are you flying in to?

I appreciate the response. To answer your questions we are flying into LGA and are looking for 4 possibly 5 rooms.