Boston, Maine, Canada cruise September 2022 - with 2 mobility scooters - things to do

alliebrandy

First time for cruising this area (all ports are new to us) and would like to make the most out of our days and see as much as possible.  Can anyone give any suggestions of this to do and/or see as hubby and I utilize mobility scooters to get around.  we are capable to walk some, but for long distances unable.  also, anyone know if Bar Harbor, Maine (tendered port) if scooters are able to get from ship to shore?  would hate to not visit a port on itinery.

As I recall, it was easy getting onto the tender, which seemed more like a ferry. The ramps at the port were steep in places and were quite extensive. My husband pushed me in a wheelchair.  It is quite steep to get into the heart of town.  We did a tour of Acadia National Park but the bus was kind of a school bus design and maybe wouldn’t have enough storage for two scooters, however there was some beautiful scenery.  Also, we did a bus tour in Boston. It was through Shore Excursion Group and called Concord, Lexington. That was a fabulous tour. This was on Anthem of the Seas.

Edited by RonPaula
Forgot to add info

On 7/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, 1025cruise said:

You might also want to ask on the Canada/New England ports of call board..

Bar Harbor is a tender port. In all honesty, its very hilly. Not sure a scooter would work that well.

Thank you for the tip, will post over there as well. 🙂 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:56 PM, RonPaula said:

As I recall, it was easy getting onto the tender, which seemed more like a ferry. The ramps at the port were steep in places and were quite extensive. My husband pushed me in a wheelchair.  It is quite steep to get into the heart of town.  We did a tour of Acadia National Park but the bus was kind of a school bus design and maybe wouldn’t have enough storage for two scooters, however there was some beautiful scenery.  Also, we did a bus tour in Boston. It was through Shore Excursion Group and called Concord, Lexington. That was a fabulous tour. This was on Anthem of the Seas.

Thank you for the information.  Will look into the bus tour in Boston.  Will speak with Captain's Club or Shore Excursions if I can't research on my own.

• 3 months later...

We live hear Boston and my son uses a wheelchair full time. You will find that Boston tourist areas are very bumpy: lots of cobblestones, etc. If you can transfer, I recommend a Boston Duck Tour for a fun way to see the city and get some history. They load at the New England Aquarium.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I can’t remember all of the details, but I used a scooter in Bar Harbor that I had rented for the cruise.  It is hilly, but I didn’t have any issues with getting around.  Just be sure your battery is charged well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that scooters/wheelchairs are OK on tenders if you can walk onto the tender, especially if the scooter/wheelchair is light weight. The crew will lend an arm and then lift the lightweight mobility aid on board. If you have a heavyweight aid or if you cannot manage the steps into the tender then you will not be able to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 6:52 AM, roadtripper said:

We live hear Boston and my son uses a wheelchair full time. You will find that Boston tourist areas are very bumpy: lots of cobblestones, etc. If you can transfer, I recommend a Boston Duck Tour for a fun way to see the city and get some history. They load at the New England Aquarium.

I use a rollator walker and thought of doing the hop-on-hop-off tours. Do you think that will be a problem?