Cruise line (NCL) says balance due, agent said it's paid in full?

icefresh

I booked a cruise on Saturday and paid it in full with a credit card - no future cruise credits etc. I received a confirmation from the travel agency that it was paid in full. 

Today, I called Norwegian to add the transfer. They are saying the cruise wasn't paid in full and I owe them ~$300 in addition to the transfer cost. My travel agent is closed today. Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks!

Edited by icefresh

• icefresh changed the title to Cruise line (NCL) says balance due, agent said it's paid in full?
8 minutes ago, icefresh said:

I booked a cruise on Saturday and paid it in full. I received a confirmation from the travel agency that it was paid in full.

Today, I called Norwegian to add the transfer. They are saying the cruise wasn't paid in full and I owe them ~$300 in addition to the transfer cost. My travel agent is closed today. Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks!

Easy enough to figure out. Check your credit card account. If the charge is there, see if it says the TA business name or NCL. 
If it says the TA business name, and you’re in the US, that’s not a good thing. The standard in the US is that the TA takes your CC info and immediately provides it to the cruise line who then charges your card.

In some other countries, TA’s charge your card and then make their own payments. IMO that’s a really BAD practice. But, apparently, it’s not unusual.

In any case, your CC account record will give you some clarity. And, if the TA screwed up, it should pay any fines. 

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Easy enough to figure out. Check your credit card account. If the charge is there, see if it says the TA business name or NCL. 
If it says the TA business name, and you’re in the US, that’s not a good thing. The standard in the US is that the TA takes your CC info and immediately provides it to the cruise line who then charges your card.

In some other countries, TA’s charge your card and then make their own payments. IMO that’s a really BAD practice. But, apparently, it’s not unusual.

In any case, your CC account record will give you some clarity. And, if the TA screwed up, it should pay any fines. 

Thanks for your response. My credit card shows NCL. However, the amount is for the amount shown on my initial invoice. It looks like there was an additional promo that either wasn't applied or gets applied separately? Hopefully, the travel agency and NCL will get it straightened out tomorrow.