Spirit of Adventure Inaugural Cruise live blog

Host Sharon

Please could I ask if you could tell us how the access to the aft terrace works

ie …. Is there access to the aft terrace via the cabin decks A,B,C,D and E meaning there is footfall past the aft cabins?     Or is access only via Main, Promenade and Lido decks?
We would appreciate it very much if you are able to let us know as it will help us choose our cabin. Thank you.

We really enjoy reading about all your experiences so thank you for continuing to post for us. 

22 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

Please could I ask if you could tell us how the access to the aft terrace works

ie …. Is there access to the aft terrace via the cabin decks A,B,C,D and E meaning there is footfall past the aft cabins?     Or is access only via Main, Promenade and Lido decks?
We would appreciate it very much if you are able to let us know as it will help us choose our cabin. Thank you.

We really enjoy reading about all your experiences so thank you for continuing to post for us. 

Yes, access from every deck.

Okay I am a bit behind these blogs as it’s been a busy couple of days yesterday we were in Liverpool. As I have been here a few times before I chose to go on an excursion to Chester and Port Sunlight. This was a very good tour which gave us about an hour of walking around Chester with our guide as well as a tour around the outside of the old city. We then drove through to Port Sunlight where we had another 10 minutes or so free time for photos. I love Port Sunlight with its arts and crafts architecture and plenty of green spaces. We then travelled back to Liverpool via the Mersey tunnel. We got back to the ship in time for a light lunch on the Verandah outside. The beer battered cod and chips is delicious washed down with a Kentish cider. Spent the afternoon on the balcony in the Sun and watching the Mersey Ferry. We had an early-ish dinner in the main dining room with the chaplain and his wife before going to the theatre for the production show. It was a good troop but I’m not a fan of 1930s music much. Today we are in Holyhead Anglesey. It is another lovely day with plenty of sun. It is a tender port and this was The ships first time tendering passengers. There are steep stairs down to the tender platform although I believe there is a chairlift for those that need it. The tenders are very spacious and easy to enter with smart wooden rails and handles. The problem for me was at the other end with a very steep gangway from where the tender landed to the coaches. It was not a good tour. We knew it was a panoramic scenic tour but the driver drove so fast we were past monuments et cetera before the guided mention them. We had half an hour to explore Beaumaris which was good. We then drove past the bridges to the small town with the longest name in Britain. We had another half hour stop there with the aim it seems for us to go shopping which we don’t think the shipping line want us to do. We then drove back to the small harbour to reboard the tender. There was a very very long queue for the tender but some seats had been set out under an awning for those who couldn’t stand. By now the tide has got out and the steep gangway of the morning was even steeper going down. It was about half an hour ride or less back to the ship , up the stairs again And on board. As so often on ships the lifts are close to where you board and disembark the ship so there is always congestion when you are waiting for one. At least on this cruise we do not have to go through security presumably as we are so tightly controlled ashore. It was by now past 2 o’clock so we went to the Veranda again for lunch and again the delicious beer battered cod and chips were too good to resist. 

• Like 3

When we were on Discovery last year the weather was too cold for the outside grill to open. We went to lunch for the fish and chips only to discover it closed 😥 

Fortunately we saw the food and beverage manager (he's now on Adventure) and he promised we could have them the next day. He was good to his word and they were delicious 😋

So many people passing by our table asked us where to get the fish and chips from. 😁

Sorry to have missed seeing the ship in Liverpool. I was there today. Disney Magic was in port and I'm sure passengers were wandering about on their own? We'll soon be on SoA ourselves and hopefully leaving the UK following today's announcement. 😊

The weather could hardly have been more perfect today for our sailed down the Welsh coast and up the Bristol Channel. Most of the day was scenic cruising fairly close to the coastal cliffs of Wales we saw many dolphins as well as plenty of sea birds such as Garnet shearwaters formers and guillemots. The morning I spent on deck with the ORCA team before popping down for a quick cheese roll for lunch. Then back onto the promenade deck and finally the balcony for more dolphin watch. My patience was rewarded with three separate pods swimming very close to the ship. I like that all room service is inclusive so I phoned for a couple of tins of diet Pepsi which arrives within minutes. You can order food 24 seven as well as any drinks you like. All drinks arrive in proper glasses . No nasty plastic versions on the ship. All the staff are excellent with a great can-do attitude. At lunch on the Veranda I said I fancied a roll with cheese. This is not on the menu but the waiter soon came back with exactly what I wanted. This is reflected throughout the ship. No one ever says it’s not my job but instead just does as asked. In the afternoon was an impromptu deck concert with free champagne. Today is a formal night so after getting ready and changed my friend and I went to the living room for a pre-dinner drink before going to the main dining room. I chose I lobster starter, a duck main course, and a delicious crème brûlée for dessert. They are  petit fours every night served by the waiter. In non-Covid times there would also have been a cake stand near the entrance with ginger and mints. Do you wine, which is included, flows freely. The singer tonight is Peter Potts but I have come to the cabin so I can watch the sail up the Bristol channel. The show in the playhouse is live streamed to every cabin so I can still watch him as well.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 3:15 PM, Host Sharon said:

Today is Saturday and around 8:30 am we reached the Isle of Man. We are circling it all morning and then anchoring off Laxey for the afternoon before sailing past Douglas and onto Liverpool for tomorrow. Most of the morning I sat on the balcony watching the scenery when the Sun eventually came out it was very very hot but has clouded over again now. I have a nice view of Laxey village from the balcony at the moment. At noon we had a solos lunch. Unlike normal sex solo lunches we had to state that the same seat and couldn’t rotate round and talk to other people but it was still an enjoyable event. All the tables were for six people and we had set places. After a good meal of shrimp, a vegetarian frittata, and an orange drizzle pudding I need a lie down  to recover!

"Normal sex solo lunch"? I had no idea Saga was like that Sharon...😂

• Like 1

Yesterday we arrived in Bristol. We enter the oc at Royal Portbury docks around 3am and, for some reason stayed in the lock for 2 hours before docking. The included tour was a panoramic tour of Bristol, but as it is my local city, I had opted for a trip to Bibury, Tetbury and other Cotswolds villages. We had nearly an hour free time in Bibury to explore the Rows - a terrace of old Weavers cottages - as well as the mill and trout stream. There was time for. Coffee and ice cream before boarding the coach to carry onwards. the afternoon was spent sunbathing and watching car carriers berth and off load. At 5pm the captain came on with his usual departure messages but then added what I suspected would.happen. A big storm was approaching from the southwest where we’re headed. I thought we may miss the Isles of Scilly, but instead he had re-ordered our final ports. We lost the circumnavigation of Lundy and were to proceed direct to Falmouth arriving around 2.30pm tomorrow and stay overnight there. The to the Scillies on Saturday.  Not sure whether we are still going to seethe Fastnet race or not now. We left, through the locks and then down the North Somerset coast past Portishead, Clevedon and Weston-super-Mare, sailing between Flat and Steepholms. Dinner was in the MDR before retreating to my cabin to watch Fogwell Flax on the tv.

• Like 2

Thursday 5th August and it looks more like October outside. I woke early just I time to see the Seven Stones Lightship. As it is a little bumpy now, breakfast was in the dining room rather than the grill - mixed berries and blueberry pancakes. 
People at home are asking me if Saga are worth the extra. Only you can decide that. I can only describe the differences, many of which are quite small but overall add up to a lot. We are treated as adults, with no tour stickers put on our coats, glass used to serve drinks on deck, not plastic. Around 11am stewards walk around the prom deck with trays of ice water, coffee and hot chocolate or will get whatever you wish. The staff are very anticipatory, holding chairs out for you before you have even decided to sit down. Craft classes, including materials, are free. All drinks, food etc is included, such as ice cream, snacks etc Room service is free 24/7, even dinner ordered off the MDR menu. Cabins are spacious and even the lowest  grade has all amenities. Luggage is handled from home to cabin and back to home. The new ships are very disabled friendly with automatic doors to open decks and level access. 
Birthdays are automatically recorded and singing and a cake provided for free. The track and trace system on board is simple but effective. Every venue you visit such as the dining room, the spa, the grill et cetera you give your cabin number and it is recorded where are you sat and who you sat next to. In the buffet you are allocated a table. All tables have numbers and you have the table for the duration you wish. This means that as a solo for example if you get up to get something from the Buffet your table won’t be cleared and you lose it to someone else.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

This means that as a solo for example if you get up to get something from the Buffet your table won’t be cleared and you lose it to someone else.

That is a brilliant notion, and I wish more cruise lines would do it. The practise would be of benefit to couples as well as singles - how often do you see one person in a couple go off to the buffet, whilst their partner has to remain at the table so as to "reserve" it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Yesterday we arrived in Bristol. We enter the oc at Royal Portbury docks around 3am and, for some reason stayed in the lock for 2 hours before docking. The included tour was a panoramic tour of Bristol, but as it is my local city, I had opted for a trip to Bibury, Tetbury and other Cotswolds villages. We had nearly an hour free time in Bibury to explore the Rows - a terrace of old Weavers cottages - as well as the mill and trout stream. There was time for. Coffee and ice cream before boarding the coach to carry onwards. the afternoon was spent sunbathing and watching car carriers berth and off load. At 5pm the captain came on with his usual departure messages but then added what I suspected would.happen. A big storm was approaching from the southwest where we’re headed. I thought we may miss the Isles of Scilly, but instead he had re-ordered our final ports. We lost the circumnavigation of Lundy and were to proceed direct to Falmouth arriving around 2.30pm tomorrow and stay overnight there. The to the Scillies on Saturday.  Not sure whether we are still going to seethe Fastnet race or not now. We left, through the locks and then down the North Somerset coast past Portishead, Clevedon and Weston-super-Mare, sailing between Flat and Steepholms. Dinner was in the MDR before retreating to my cabin to watch Fogwell Flax on the tv.

I do hope you waved when you passed by home Sharon...👋🏻😀

we arrived in Falmouth around 230pm Friday and are staying overnight. All the tours have been rearranged so we don’t miss any, just not on the original day. All the included tours are this afternoon. I joined the last one leaving at 3.45pm cor 3 hours, driving from Falmouth, through Penryn to the mining areas around Redruth and then to Marazion for a photo stop opposite St Michael’s Mount. Then we returned via Helston to the ship. It was frustrating seeing the town all lit up but unable to go ashore. However, as the winds increased the temptation waned. After dinner I went to the Britannia Loung for some light music and to watch the dancing. No dance hosts are on board due to Covid. 

• Like 1

Woke to a bright morning over Falmouth. There are more crew drills this morning while most of the passengers are off on tours or river cruises. It was the first time I saw a visual flashing light in conjunction with the normal general alarm signal. There are lots of places to eat and mid-morning, the Living Room is the place to be for Danishes and coffee or hot chocolate, all free (included) of course. I have a relaxed day on board since I decided the possible 20 wooden steps to board the river cruiser might be too much for me.