100% Except When It Isn't

mrlevin

Note the footnote at end of today's announcements:

MIAMI, July 26, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (the “Company”) (NYSE: NCLH), a leading global cruise company which operates the Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises brands, today announced Norwegian Jade set sail from Athens as the first ship in the Company’s fleet to relaunch since cruises halted in March 2020. This voyage set sail with a fully vaccinated population onboard in addition to multiple layers of preventative protocols, including universal COVID-19 testing immediately prior to boarding, as part of the Company’s robust, science-backed SailSAFE™ health and safety program. To resume cruising in the safest way possible in the current public health environment, the Company has a consistent 100% vaccination policy* for all voyages across its three brands to protect its guests, crew and communities visited.

“Our long-awaited Great Cruise Comeback has officially commenced with the return of Norwegian Jade, the first ship in our fleet to resume cruising,” said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. “With resumption plans now announced for all 28 of our ships through April 2022, we are excited to once again give our guests the opportunity to travel and explore the world with the comfort of knowing that all of our ships will initially operate under our robust science-backed SailSAFE health and safety program including 100% vaccination of guests and crew. We continue to see incredible pent-up demand for future cruise vacations and I look forward to welcoming our loyal guests back onboard.”

The Company has announced its phased relaunch plans for all 28 ships across its three brands which began with Norwegian Jade in July and continues through April 2022. The first cruise to commence in the United States is scheduled on August 7, 2021 aboard Norwegian Encore sailing to Alaska from Seattle. All initial voyages will operate with the Company’s comprehensive SailSAFE™ health and safety protocols which were developed with leading public health and scientific experts including the Healthy Sail Panel and the SailSAFE Global Health and Wellness Council. The Company’s SailSAFE protocols will be continuously evaluated and modified with the latest science and technology.

*Limited exceptions may be made pursuant to valid medical or religious exemptions.

The exceptions are nothing new when it comes to mandatory vaccinations. Teachers and students have been mandated to be vaccinated against certain illnesses and there has always been religious and medical exemptions. 

Very positive that the Jade is sailing! I wish I was on board. 

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Note the footnote at end of today's announcements:

*Limited exceptions may be made pursuant to valid medical or religious exemptions.

I talked my sister into an upcoming Regent cruise because of the 100% rule going forward. Are these exceptions for all NCLH brands? Nothing can be foolproof but this footnote is disturbing and disappointing.  I'm getting a "yes, but" feeling. I will expect Del Rio to be on the first cruise to demonstrate that limited exceptions are fine. It reminds me of the term "being a little bit pregnant".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately, people who don’t want to get vaccinated will make up excuses.  We know someone who says that can’t get it due to egg allergy.  The RNA vaccines are safe for those with egg allergies.  Unless truly allergic to vaccine...they should stick to requiring the vaccine.  At least my opinion. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Being under twelve is a valid "medical" exemption.

I absolutely agree that it is.  I’m not so worried about these kids but unvaccinated adults that have every opportunity to be.  I won’t book a cruise with tons of kids.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

So...now they allow on non-vax-pax and now they want masks and I just heard that you will not be allowed off the ship unless it is a Regent Excursion. I am trying to get a 2nd party to confirm this.

I'm sure we would appreciate the scoop.

I think where cruise lines are requiring masks and/or cruise line excursions they are due to local regulations. I've been following the Celebrity return to cruising and in some ports on the same cruises they require ship excursions while others are fine. Greece excursions require masks onboard, but Caribbean ones do not. And the rules (and ports) change on a weekly basis with little notice. All of this is local government rules. I think it is part of the price that anyone who sails on any line during the COVID era will need to pay.

The good news is that almost everyone seems very happy to sail and the experience is being described as even better than pre-COVID. Personally I am fine with switching ports, and get the mask rules, but would still rather not wear them everywhere.

• Like 1