Question about taxes and port charges

My mother is not going to be able to make the Alaska cruise so Im going solo.  In the last 3 years since booking this cruise, her health has declined and she has early signs of dementia 😞      The plan is for her to "no show" but it is my understanding that her port charges will be refunded?    Would that be in the form of an OBC or back to a credit card on file?      Thanks in advance

11 minutes ago, ryano said:

My mother is not going to be able to make the Alaska cruise so Im going solo.  In the last 3 years since booking this cruise, her health has declined and she has early signs of dementia 😞      The plan is for her to "no show" but it is my understanding that her port charges will be refunded?    Would that be in the form of an OBC or back to a credit card on file?      Thanks in advance

It will go back to the credit card that you paid them with

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your mother.  That being said, you might consider trying to find a replacement.  You should be able to change the name to the new guest at no additional charge, and you might be able to recoup all, or more of your money.

Cheers.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear about your mom — as a person who had to handle both the care and affairs of both parents with severe dementia, going to offer two bits of advice.  Try to get her safely situated as early as possible because change tends to trigger worsening symptoms, and if she doesn’t already have her affairs in order, Power of attorney, medical directive, that needs to get done ASAP, while she is still considered legally competent to execute those kinds of documents.  My dad did all that (except the safely situated part), my mom didn’t.  It made a huge difference in my ability to handle things.  And enjoy your cruise — and plan some for the future because you will appreciate and need the “me” time

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cigar King said:

Sorry to hear about your mother.  That being said, you might consider trying to find a replacement.  You should be able to change the name to the new guest at no additional charge, and you might be able to recoup all, or more of your money.

Cheers.

50 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

why not invite someone to go in her stead?

I actually thought about this but havent had my TA check into it.  Unfortunately, this cruise was booked using a FCC from a cancelled cruise because of a hurricane a few years ago.    I wasnt aware you could swap a name on a cruise booked with a FCC

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

So sorry to hear about your mom — as a person who had to handle both the care and affairs of both parents with severe dementia, going to offer two bits of advice.  Try to get her safely situated as early as possible because change tends to trigger worsening symptoms, and if she doesn’t already have her affairs in order, Power of attorney, medical directive, that needs to get done ASAP, while she is still considered legally competent to execute those kinds of documents.  My dad did all that (except the safely situated part), my mom didn’t.  It made a huge difference in my ability to handle things.  And enjoy your cruise — and plan some for the future because you will appreciate and need the “me” time

Thank you so much 🙂   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ryano said:

I actually thought about this but havent had my TA check into it.  Unfortunately, this cruise was booked using a FCC from a cancelled cruise because of a hurricane a few years ago.    I wasnt aware you could swap a name on a cruise booked with a FCC

Normally you  can’t.

If you had used FCC issued in your mothers name then when you change her name the FCC would drop off.  

however…

I am going to assume that she is over 70.  Royal has made exceptions and will allow those over 70 and those 12 or under to allow someone else to use their FCC.  

You would need to contact Royal prior to doing the name change and get the approval to allow the FCC to be used by another person first then go ahead and do the name change. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

….You would need to contact Royal prior to doing the name change and get the approval to allow the FCC to be used by another person first then go ahead and do the name change. 

Would he be able to put his mom’s FCC in his name? What would happen if the name was changed to someone else and then they can’t sail? The FCC would still belong to the other person, correct?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Would he be able to put his mom’s FCC in his name? What would happen if the name was changed to someone else and then they can’t sail? The FCC would still belong to the other person, correct?

The FCC is never actually reissued in a new persons name.  They put a note on the FCC allowing it to be used by another person.