Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 31

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, July 26 and Sunday, August 1.

August? Already?! 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Wednesday, out of lockdown, again. Weather not quite nice, so i drove down to the beach to make sure my camera had not rusted shut.

Strong wind, cold, fronts coming along.

Rain4.thumb.jpg.fd59d86a3f903125cfe1ea1958d0b9bd.jpg

Necessary focus a adjustments

Rain3.thumb.jpg.e7329d8df0baff20d4c9176a668a5185.jpg

Rain1.thumb.jpg.2478117ed84df586531cb95288237ace.jpg

Rain2.thumb.jpg.a294c3add66ae35a65ed9b8b4fe51d27.jpg

No cruise ships, but others facing the storm (about 6 hidden under the cloud)

Rain5.thumb.jpg.e2111c52bb4f416fc1a22cbab011e0f8.jpg

• Like 5

When we bought a house in a new subdivision in a rural area 43 years ago we were pretty much surrounded by woods.  Fast forward to present day and the amount of wooded areas has diminished considerably and there are many more subdivisions.  Our house is located almost in the middle of our subdivision so when I began finding deer poop in my yard I was surprised.  Also my bird feeder was being emptied at night regularly.  My curiosity finally got the best of me and I ordered a cheap Trail Camera.

When I ordered the camera I began putting out some bird seed on a plate hoping to make the deer a regular visitor so I could get some pics and it worked.  On the plate I put bird seed, sunflower seed, grapes, fresh blackberries, and two baby carrot sticks.  She’s a very smart deer and doesn’t eat the carrots.  I don’t like raw carrots either.  Now I know what direction she is coming from.  I forgot to set the date and time on the camera.  She is hopping at a minimum of 5 fences to get into my yard.

My $36 trail cam worked much better than I expected.

WGI_0005.thumb.JPG.fd8cd448fa8c6048d2051a43fdabaca2.JPG

WGI_0013.thumb.JPG.9a0981b4fb2005fcaeb2e6b6bfd0cff1.JPG

• Like 5

Got out for some wetlands walks on Saturday, though I don't really know what's wrong with me, wanting to go trapsing through a swamp when the temps are 97 and the humidity 85%.  But that's the way it is down here for the next 4 months or so!

An early return of a winter bird, the black-and-white warbler, usually not really here in any big numbers until September:

original.jpg

The yellow-crowned night herons are supposed to be asleep in the day, but they all seemed to be fairly awake:

original.jpg

This young snowy egret was just resting on a tiny island...not really inspired to do much else in that heat:

original.jpg

Ducking behind a palm tree when it saw me coming, I knew this raccoon was going to have to peek around the corner to see if I was still there.  I stayed very quietly with my lens ready, and sure enough...out came the head:

original.jpg

The beautiful and vivid scarlet skimmer dragonfly:

original.jpg

A brown basilisk lizard climbing up the reeds for a peek:

original.jpg

One scary encounter - while photographing various fauna, I came across this alien invader from the planet Ziburon.  I tried not to look into his eyes, but he had some kind of mind lock ability and told me there were millions of them already here on earth planning to take over soon (I may have just imagined that bit - it also could have just been a grasshopper viewed from the top, which made his head look rather unusual!):

original.jpg

Deep in the brush along the bank, this stationary log was a momma alligator, and just off camera to the right was a big pile of leaves which was her nest.  She was keeping a very close guard on her nest as it had been about 60 days and baby gators should be hatching any time now:

original.jpg

A juvenile little blue heron, still wearing its white colors, flying over me:

original.jpg

• Like 5

It was indeed a late sunset. 9:27 PM sunsets aren't a thing where we come from, so the dramatic sunset at the end of a long northern day was a bit of a novelty. It was very, very late in another sense as well. This photo was taken from the deck of the Celebrity Millennium on the day we sailed away from Seattle towards Alaska on our first cruise since before the pandemic hit and shut down our favorite vacation activity. We jumped through all the hoops and the latest mandate of the week for public transportation, airport terminals and at the pier. We got on the ship after verifying that we were indeed vaccinated and hadn’t been feverish, nauseated or bleeding from the eyes over the last week and after eighteen months, we were cruising again! Totally worth all the hoop-jumping.

Late Sunset

207978154_2021-31LateSunset.thumb.jpg.a3234c84786c7682361314ec4d6297b4.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

E7329804-FC99-4043-B46F-8BE397255C9E.thumb.jpeg.560681ef5c0e9aaf4e9a50a1bd6a088f.jpeg

Through a fogged lens I thought this was a bird. After the lens cleared I saw that it was a common nighthawk.

A4C82C86-82DE-4424-8064-491AE562F30D.thumb.jpeg.bbba9bdc34cd05239dda594fc6ce136c.jpeg

After the lens cleared.

67B77F00-A043-443D-873E-E7002C5CA408.thumb.jpeg.cd107dfaf477b7bcffcd8af44826d548.jpeg

The next day it moved to the other side of the driveway on our willow tree.  It stayed there for several hours. The space between the two small branches is about a foot.

BBD96EB2-1C5A-4AFD-89C9-89A78D46E780.thumb.jpeg.2a51efaf92178bcd152d76086f0405ce.jpeg

Common Nighthawk enjoying the day.

Edited by cruises42
  • Like 2