P&O Standards dropped, probably never again.

The Med

On 7/27/2021 at 12:20 PM, Britboys said:

Great post. Just a couple of thoughts from me.

What other people are wearing does sort of make a difference to me. When on a ship with Formal Nights, if just about everyone adheres to the Dress Code, for me it makes a very special atmosphere/ambience and one that I really appreciate and enjoy. That enjoyment is slightly spoiled when a significant number of folks choose not to go formal. Having said that, I research my cruises/holidays so that I know what to expect and don't look down on people because of what they are wearing. I know P&O are gradually moving in a more casual direction and that now there is no requirement to dress formally if you do not wish to, which is one of the reasons I now only sail on Aurora and Arcadia. I also know that for similar reasons I am likely to be cruising on other lines more often in the future. You pays your money and you takes your choice. There is enough information out there on the websites and in brochures to make an informed choice.

Re the point that you make well about tattooed people - there is a very well-known fan of Portsmouth FC who has long hair, is covered in tattoos and wears a top hat. When he is not watching Portsmouth, he is an antiquarian book seller...

Just an old hippie then !

Edited by Rufford155
missed text

On 7/27/2021 at 9:54 PM, Britboys said:

And if you should decide to breakfast at Carluccio's, do pop up to the café on the top floor of John Lewis afterwards. You should get a view of the top of Queen Victoria in berth 106 and you may also be able to see some of Iona, in berth 102. I always go there for coffee mid-morning before I go off to board a ship in Southampton.

Andrew,

Where's your luggage?  You don't drag it to the top floor of John Lewis Surely?

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 8:38 AM, rumbalizw said:

Re, where to eat breakfast or have a coffee. Ocean Village ,a residential ,business and entertainment area ,right by the Ocean Terminal ,is another option . We visited for breakfast before our cruise ,weekend before last . Paid parking ,about a pound an hour .  We ate in the Maritimo Lounge . Lovely marina and a view of the posh Harbour Hotel . 

Maritimo is a footbal team in Madeira - in the Portuguese premier league.

6 minutes ago, Rufford155 said:

Andrew,

Where's your luggage?  You don't drag it to the top floor of John Lewis Surely?

Definitely not. My ex-Southampton cruise ritual is to stay overnight in the city before my cruise. I have breakfast in the hotel then walk to West Quay for a nose around the shops finishing with a coffee in the JL café. More often than not, I am sailing from berth 106 at the Mayflower Terminal and so get a view of my ship. After coffee, I go back to the hotel and collect my luggage.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Definitely not. My ex-Southampton cruise ritual is to stay overnight in the city before my cruise. I have breakfast in the hotel then walk to West Quay for a nose around the shops finishing with a coffee in the JL café. More often than not, I am sailing from berth 106 at the Mayflower Terminal and so get a view of my ship. After coffee, I go back to the hotel and collect my luggage.

I'm planning on doing something very similar in December. I don't live far from Southampton, but a brekkie and gentle stroll around town before boarding seems like an ideal plan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, burfies said:

We were advised by out Travel Agent not to go on P&O again, as standards have dropped quite a bit. We used to travel with them quite a lot 15yrs ago. now Prefer Oceania, Azamara etc.

I am sure your TA would advise you to go with Oceania or Azamara instead of P&O as they are in a higher price bracket and no doubt for that reason they will get higher commission. They arent daft.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am sure your TA would advise you to go with Oceania or Azamara instead of P&O as they are in a higher price bracket and no doubt for that reason they will get higher commission. They arent daft.

Spot on!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HikingPete said:

I'm planning on doing something very similar in December. I don't live far from Southampton, but a brekkie and gentle stroll around town before boarding seems like an ideal plan

Yes, I'm no more than 2 hours from Southampton (M25 permitting) but it just makes for a nice, relaxed start to the cruise.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:20 PM, BouncingWheel said:

Like the OP we were booked on a cancelled Cunard Seacation and we have now decided to try Princess for the 1st time as we enjoyed cruises with P&O and Cunard and thought we could try another member of Carnival. Before taking the plunge we reviewed the brand and this site is amazing for gathering opinions and helping you decide if the brand MAY be right for you - though you never know till you have experienced it.

We have cruised on Aurora twice (pre & post Adult only), Azura, Queen Mary 2 & Queen Victoria. My opinion is that Aurora is similar to Cunard whereas Azura felt like a different brand to Aurora - This is not to be seen as a negative but it offered something different within the same brand. This thread is a hot topic on this site activity list and my hope is that readers unfamiliar to P&O should not dismiss the brand as all the same and likewise not dismiss Cunard if you enjoyed Aurora. Both Cunard & P&O are lovely brands I hope they continue for many years. 

We have only been on Princess and like it because it's not at all stuffy, even on formal nights which we do dress up for.

Unless embarking at Southampton there is usually a great mix of nationalities. 

All he crew are always great and the food is usually excellent.

Of course some folk don't dress for formal but that's fine with us.

Some never go to the main restaurants or the buffet and some only use the burger and pizza.

bars on deck.

Just goes to show that everybody's different.

Personally I couldn't stand a ship where everyone looked and thought the same as me.

We've met some lovely people and are still in touch with half a dozen couples (USA, Oz & UK).

Only ever met one obnoxious person, he was Scottish but that means nothing really.

Life’s too short to let what anyone thinks of you rule your life, our first cruise on Ventura there were 2 really obnoxious couples in Sindu who thought they were better than everyone else and the 2 females looked down there noses at what everyone was wearing, I could of let this cloud our judgement of P&O but then that wouldn’t of been fair on all of the other lovely passengers that were on board, why would you let a few bad apples spoil your enjoyment or cloud your judgement, we’ve tried out a few more ships and enjoy the P&o experience especially the range of people that you encounter on the cruises.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

Life’s too short to let what anyone thinks of you rule your life, our first cruise on Ventura there were 2 really obnoxious couples in Sindu who thought they were better than everyone else and the 2 females looked down there noses at what everyone was wearing, I could of let this cloud our judgement of P&O but then that wouldn’t of been fair on all of the other lovely passengers that were on board, why would you let a few bad apples spoil your enjoyment or cloud your judgement, we’ve tried out a few more ships and enjoy the P&o experience especially the range of people that you encounter on the cruises.

Quite right. On Britannia last week, although I don't normally notice, I had a look as we finished our meal on celebration night and walked out through the MDR. I didn't see many ( none!) who hadn't followed the dress code. On the other nights I didn't bother to look. We go on again in 9 days and won't bother looking again. Printed all the e tickets etc and booked the circus show and Rocket man. I didn't notice which night was formal, but will observe the theme. If some big bloke with Tatt's is in jeans, I won't tell him he's improperly dressed🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:17 PM, terrierjohn said:

and which has Havana and which has Manhatten, but for me it's the tree in Ventura's glass house, that sets her apart.

Yes because it was a tapas bar originally wasn’t it? I was sad I never saw it as a tapas bar, first time we went on her she’d just had her refit and the tapas bar had turned into the Glasshouse.

21 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

I love people like that. Great entertainment. If close enough I wind up my Geordie accent.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes because it was a tapas bar originally wasn’t it? I was sad I never saw it as a tapas bar, first time we went on her she’d just had her refit and the tapas bar had turned into the Glasshouse.

The food has not changed that much. Most of the tapas is the same as before. The decor is exactly the same.

7 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Has it become a wheel tappers and shunters club venue now?

Lol John

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, daiB said:

I love people like that. Great entertainment. If close enough I wind up my Geordie accent.

5 hours ago, john watson said:

Has it become a wheel tappers and shunters club venue now?

Lol John

5 hours ago, sandancer said:

Haha. Me too. 

27 minutes ago, brian1 said:

'ang on,us Cockneys are more common than youse lot.

Ah wish ah could mek art wha' thy orl sayin ? call in English sithee thank theur  :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, daiB said:

7 hours ago, sandancer said:

Haha. Me too. 

I don't need to wind mine up, it's there all the time, it will probably put me on the undesirable list.  Mine isn't Geordie though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You’ll know why I’m called Sandancer then. Must apologize. We’ve got way off the thread subject haven’t we. This is only our second P&O cruise but I’m not at all worried about how anyone looks or behaves. Live and let live. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sandancer said:

You’ll know why I’m called Sandancer then. Must apologize. We’ve got way off the thread subject haven’t we. This is only our second P&O cruise but I’m not at all worried about how anyone looks or behaves. Live and let live. 

Well said.

I am only concerned with my and my husband's clothes and behaviour. I couldn't care less about what other people wear or how they behave so long as they aren't doing anything to endanger anyone else.

• Like 2