P&O Standards dropped, probably never again.

The Med

Thank you for your review, we are P and O regulars and desperate for a cruise and have been disappointed with our last couple of cruises as we found some of the standards had dropped, which is a shame.

So you have convinced us that having booked with another more expensive company with great reviews we have made the correct choice.

3 hours ago, Holidayfun141 said:

Thank you for your review, we are P and O regulars and desperate for a cruise and have been disappointed with our last couple of cruises as we found some of the standards had dropped, which is a shame.

So you have convinced us that having booked with another more expensive company with great reviews we have made the correct choice.

You haven’t actually told us what actually made you change to another cruise line, was it the food the ships your fellow cruisers 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:39 PM, The Med said:

I don’t know how to word this without being disparaging to others, but basically I think that people feel comfortable with their own kind.

We prefer a more upmarket experience with people like ourselves. We knew that it would be a mixed crowd but we hadn’t anticipated how many people would be different to ourselves.

By dressing up, by being respectful,  I felt in a minority. 

I don’t know if P&O standards have dropped generally or if it’s that the type of people that can afford to go on a 3 day cruise perhaps wouldn’t go on a 10 day cruise?

It was just too low class, common, for us. Sorry. 

I think you're looking for the P&O of about 20 years ago, before it went downmarket to attract enough customers to fill the larger ships.  I know you've been attacked for saying this, but most people do feel more comfortable with likeminded people. Snobbish?  Maybe, but it's much the same with clubs, restaurants, shops and a lot of places - they each attract a particular clientele, whether based on age, social background, money, whatever.  And it isn't just money either - some of those with money behave appallingly.

Are you looking for a middle class professionals' cruise line, perhaps?  Solicitors, doctors, accountants, senior civil servants etc.....?  A/B grade?

Not sure Cunard matches that though.

Grade Social class Chief income earner's occupation Frequency in 2008[3] Frequency in 2016[4]
A upper middle class Higher managerial roles, administrative or professional 4% 4%
B middle middle class Intermediate managerial roles, administrative or professional 23% 23%

23 hours ago, brian1 said:

'ang on,us Cockneys are more common than youse lot.

We are proper posh Brian...

We talk proper and stick on a whistle, comb the old Barnet and brush the Hampsteads before heading down the apples to Sindhu for a Ruby before visiting the battle for a few jars.. 

We even leave a pony for the bucket before getting off the nanny/a penny... 

See, proper posh... 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We are proper posh Brian...

We talk proper and stick on a whistle, comb the old Barnet and brush the Hampsteads before heading down the apples to Sindhu for a Ruby before visiting the battle for a few jars.. 

We even leave a pony for the bucket before getting off the nanny/a penny... 

See, proper posh... 

Andy 

I agree wiv the toffs. I don't wanna go on no cruise. Not if working classes are gonna be doin a knees up in the crystal room. Leaf it arght,🤣🤣

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Holidayfun141 said:

I think  the key words are "more expensive". Yes, of course you (hopefully )will enjoy your cruise more if you spend more,  but doesn't that apply to just about everything in life!

Complaining about P&O and then booking a more expensive cruise is just irrelevant.  

You get what you pay for - you want to cruise with a line with great reviews - go for it, but tell us how much extra you paid. 

• Like 3

Lets be grateful we can get on a cruise, all too easy to complain ,spare a thought 

for those who have run out of lard ( or things like that :classic_unsure: )  

Edited by kalos
  • Like 6
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Lets be grateful we can get on a cruise, all too easy to complain ,spare a thought 

for those who have run out of lard ( or things like that :classic_unsure: )  

So funny.Thank you Kalos 🙂 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think  the key words are "more expensive". Yes, of course you (hopefully )will enjoy your cruise more if you spend more,  but doesn't that apply to just about everything in life!

Complaining about P&O and then booking a more expensive cruise is just irrelevant.  

You get what you pay for - you want to cruise with a line with great reviews - go for it, but tell us how much extra you paid. 

I was watching a programme on TV about a chaps cruise with his Lady wife and children. We did the very same thing as a sort of try out. Gosh, it seemed much superior to P&O. They even sent cars to the airport to meet the company jet. If they didn't have the correct champers the captain fellow sent one of the crew into St Tropez to jolly well get some. Great cruise, only half a mill for the whole week. +The jet, obviously.

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I was watching a programme on TV about a chaps cruise with his Lady wife and children. We did the very same thing as a sort of try out. Gosh, it seemed much superior to P&O. They even sent cars to the airport to meet the company jet. If they didn't have the correct champers the captain fellow sent one of the crew into St Tropez to jolly well get some. Great cruise, only half a mill for the whole week. +The jet, obviously.

But were they obese and have tattoo's?

• Haha 1

Thank god I’m working class after a lifetime working now getting to enjoy the fruits of our labours, will enjoy my cruises knowing the middle class will not be around to judge us, funny enough my beloved as a few tattoos I did try to pick them for her but sadly she declined, what’s wrong with the ship and anchor the drunken sailor and the miners arms all close to my heart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Thank god I’m working class after a lifetime working now getting to enjoy the fruits of our labours, will enjoy my cruises knowing the middle class will not be around to judge us, funny enough my beloved as a few tattoos I did try to pick them for her but sadly she declined, what’s wrong with the ship and anchor the drunken sailor and the miners arms all close to my heart.

When somebody boasts about being middle class then tells you that their poor husband uses a big computer for his work........work......when I worked I was working class, but can still use a knife and fork.🤣

• Haha 1

I think P&O do a great job of appealing to people from all walks of life. You can enjoy your holiday in the way you prefer, so karaoke in the pub, buffet or Epicurean, Crows Nest and Retreat. Class doesn’t come into it, manners and respect for our fellow passengers and crew is what is important. Personally I found Cunard to be full of rude and obnoxious people who thought it was okay to talk down to the staff. I treat people as I would like to be treated and that is with kindness and respect. Having a tattoo or being overweight does not alter the worth of a person.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, FluffyFiFi said:

I treat people as I would like to be treated and that is with kindness and respect.

And if we all give the same back ,then we all become better people for it .

No one wanted to be born poor but have worked dam hard to better their lives and at

the same time some were born well off and still show respect to others around them .

The best way I could demonstrate this is to ask people to watch the TV show 24 Hours 

In A&E.. When they are laid there thinking " Am I going to die ?" the last thing going

through their head is Tattoo's ,weight or social standing of those around them and the

same goes for those trying to help them .:classic_smile:

• Like 12

I always think "classes" are funny.  I've worked all my life, so am I working class?  Then you look at the work titles of Lower Middle for example and it includes Administrative.  I'm an Administrator, so I must be Lower Middle Working Class 🤣

17 hours ago, FluffyFiFi said:

. Personally I found Cunard to be full of rude and obnoxious people who thought it was okay to talk down to the staff. 

I've found Cunard to be no different to P&O in the main full of nice well mannered people. But then Cunard customer base is similiar to  P&O.  But of course on a ship of 2000 people  on either line you will get the odd rude person.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I always think "classes" are funny.  I've worked all my life, so am I working class?  Then you look at the work titles of Lower Middle for example and it includes Administrative.  I'm an Administrator, so I must be Lower Middle Working Class 🤣

Sir Humphrey was an administrator,  I bet they script writers didn't think of him as lower working class. 

All administrators are equal but some are more equal than others. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Sir Humphrey was an administrator,  I bet they script writers didn't think of him as lower middle class. 

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

How true, there are administrators who contribute greatly to the profitability, progression and development of a company or an organisation. Then there are administrators who don’t. 

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Jean. All the regulars know you are in a class of your own.😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I've found Cunard to be no different to P&O in the main full of nice well mannered people. But then Cunard customer base is similiar to  P&O.  But of course on a ship of 2000 people  on either line you will get the odd rude person.

Yes me too there are rude obnoxious people everywhere and they will be encountered on whichever cruise you’re on P and O or Cunard I’ve been extremely lucky to never have encountered them on any of my cruises

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I'm upper class,my Mum and Dad's council flat was on the top floor when I was a baby.

I was brought up in an attic in a large victorian house so I'm upper class with you.

(we wont mention sharing a toilet with two other families (11 people), or that the water supply was  behind a curtain across a landing down a flight of stairs, or sharing my parents room till I was 15, or having to ask the landlady if we could have a bath every now and then!!!!🤣

• Like 4