Ponant Explorer Ships Stateroom 615

Rummblestrip

I have booked stateroom 615 on the Ponant ship Le Jacques Cartier. I wanted to know if anyone has sailed in this stateroom on any of the Explorer Ships in the past. Are there any issues that I would need to be concerned about.  I find it interesting that it is isolated from other cabins. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. 

Edited by Rummblestrip

615 is a Deluxe Suite? I have stayed in 406 and 302, which are the same cabin type. Generally, the cabins of a same type are identical from what I've seen, so the differences are mainly related to the amenities offered on that floor and if there are any disturbances related to them. Deck six has the photo studio and the Panoramic Lounge, so there will be occasional traffic past the cabin when those are open. Given the small number of passengers, you shouldn't find it disturbing and may not even hear it. Even in 302, which is right at the Theater, traffic was only noticeable for a few minutes before and after theater programming.

However, if extremely dead quiet is your thing, Decks 5 and especially 4 have little-to-no through traffic and located at the end of the halls, don't even have people passing on the way to their own cabins. Five only has the occasional person going to the Bridge.

BTW, I really like the Deluxe Suite. The Dressing Room makes the cabin feel very spacious.

Edited by AussieBoyTX

5 hours ago, AussieBoyTX said:

Oh, another thing. This cabin is adjacent to the crew stairwell on decks 3,4 & 5. There is a possibility of hearing crew movements— though I don’t recall hearing them on the last cruise. 

Thank you for the information. Yes, it is a deluxe suite. 

The main reason we went with this stateroom was the isolation on the balcony. No one on either side. We will be on a 12 night in the Seychelles and thought we may spend more time on the balcony than normal. 

Can you tell me what the equipment is to the left of the stateroom? 

1088586262_ScreenShot2021-07-28at6_10_18AM.thumb.png.4ce4c5236f0306188a0949dece1b82e2.png

Edited by Rummblestrip

Fair enough. 

I believe the equipment is a gangway used to enter the ship at certain cruise terminals. I’ve never been on a cruise where it was used and I don’t expect it would be used in Seychelles. 

I also think the excursions would be by Zodiac, so the tender next to your cabin wouldn’t bother you either. 

Edited by AussieBoyTX
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jonikal said:

Thanks for this info on 615.  That is also ours on the Dumont, 

Our sailing is not till 2023. Will you please give us a review on this cabin if you are sailing before that time?

15 hours ago, Rummblestrip said:

Our sailing is not till 2023. Will you please give us a review on this cabin if you are sailing before that time?

Happy to oblige.  Husband and I will be boarding in 10 days, hopefully!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AussieBoyTX said:

Boarding is this afternoon. I'll report once we're safely on board, antigen test passed and G&T in hand!

That reminds me, the most important report...What is Ponant offering for gin, and more important, tonic! I am on my second bottle of Hendricks Lunar (not in one day, lol). It is very nice with a variety of the fever tree tonics.

59 minutes ago, Rummblestrip said:

That reminds me, the most important report...What is Ponant offering for gin, and more important, tonic! I am on my second bottle of Hendricks Lunar (not in one day, lol). It is very nice with a variety of the fever tree tonics.

This is an important question that I will answer. 

in the cabin, there’s complementary Gordon’s and Schweppes. Tomorrow, I will find out what’s in the bars. There’s a complementary house gin and some premium gin @ €20/per person/ per day. 

• Like 1

On our Ponant cruise in 2019, I made the following note:

I ordered a Hendricks G&T but had to stop the bartender when she started to pour in Royal Club tonic – see the extensive thread on Cruise Critic about this awful stuff: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2447579-the-recurring-tonic-question-anyone-on-journey-now/  Thankfully I had noticed one can of Schweppes tonic in our cabin mini-bar, so I ran back and got that to save the drink.  The Hendricks ‘call’ cost 11 Euros – that seems excessive since a ‘well brand’ G&T would have been free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bartender says well is Gordons or Beefeater. Premium is Sapphire / Hendricks / Tanqueray 10  priced at 9 / 11 /  12 euros respectively. Tonic today is Schweppes, but I was cautioned that can vary depending on the local supplier. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AussieBoyTX said:

Bartender says well is Gordons or Beefeater. Premium is Sapphire / Hendricks / Tanqueray 10  priced at 9 / 11 /  12 euros respectively. Tonic today is Schweppes, but I was cautioned that can vary depending on the local supplier. 

I like all of the premium options, I will definitely be upgrading the drink package. 

3 minutes ago, Rummblestrip said:

I like all of the premium options, I will definitely be upgrading the drink package. 

Yeah, seems like a good deal.

Like other lines I’ve been on, both passengers need to purchase the premium package. I forgot to mention that earlier. 

1 minute ago, AussieBoyTX said:

Yeah, seems like a good deal.

Like other lines I’ve been on, both passengers need to purchase the premium package. I forgot to mention that earlier. 

Good to know, my partner loves wine so that will be a good deal as well. 

The premium package isn‘t really worth the 20 € a day - the house champagne for example is excellent 

aswell as the wines that were offered with lunch & dinner, always a nice pairing and changed each day

Edited by schnapperin

I guess that depends on what you’re drinking and how much shipboard credit you have to burn. I usually have excess credit, so it’s basically free to me. 

I think the whiskey drinkers easily get value. Gin drinkers — yeah — I can (and have) choke down Gordon’s for an entire cruise without harmful effects. Champagne — I’m not a connoisseur, but Veuve Cliquot does feel like an upgrade from Henri Abele. The base red wines served at meals have been quite drinkable. 

By chance does anyone have a list of wines available for the upgraded package? It would be great to explore some new wines. I have been a huge fan of Stag Leaps Artemis and do not explore too much in fear of disappointment.  

3 hours ago, Rummblestrip said:

By chance does anyone have a list of wines available for the upgraded package? It would be great to explore some new wines. I have been a huge fan of Stag Leaps Artemis and do not explore too much in fear of disappointment.  

IMO, it’s not something to get excited about. It’s a single wine offered in the lounges — not any of the premium wines available in the restaurants from the sommelier. Today’s red is a Sarget de Giraud  Larose. Nice, but not something I enjoy more than the three being served with meals. 

• Like 1

I‘m not Scottish but I just didn‘t see the point to pay it for 21 days - on which a few were no alcohol days and I didn‘t mind the champagne since I‘m not a fan of Veuve Cliquot and I think we had a different one. 

instead I ordered if I fancied the better version of Gin & Tonic - and since the bar closed on the Observation Bar early (10 to 11 pm) we tend to order before or used the mini bar stock 😉 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Our report on Suite 615 on the Dumont is very positive.  The layout is well designed and the walk-in closet is a major plus.  Balcony is small with enough space for just two upright chairs, but not much time was spent there anyway.  With regard to the suite's proximity to the gallery and photo area, we were never disturbed by any noise from the corridor.
We only heard the lifeboat being lowered twice, both times during the day, when the ship was at anchor.  The stair mechanism on the other side was only used once when disembarkation was on the starboard side.  Neither mechanical function is significant enough to prevent us from re-booking this delightful suite. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jonikal said:

Our report on Suite 615 on the Dumont is very positive.  The layout is well designed and the walk-in closet is a major plus.  Balcony is small with enough space for just two upright chairs, but not much time was spent there anyway.  With regard to the suite's proximity to the gallery and photo area, we were never disturbed by any noise from the corridor.
We only heard the lifeboat being lowered twice, both times during the day, when the ship was at anchor.  The stair mechanism on the other side was only used once when disembarkation was on the starboard side.  Neither mechanical function is significant enough to prevent us from re-booking this delightful suite. 

Did you happen to take any photos? I think that would be great sitting on the balcony watching the disembarkation/embarkation process. I also love watching the crew deploy the lifeboats. On one sailing we spent the day on the ship while in port. We had the best experience watching the crew doing their emergency training in the lifeboats. It was a great day and gave us even more respect for the crew. They work so hard to make us happy and keep us safe.