SS Cape Town - Cape Town

RetiredandTravel

41 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

SS just listed a Cape Town to Cape Town cruise in 12/23.  I'd be interested in people's impressions of the excursions.

Lots to LOVE and do along the South Africa coast during a Silversea cruise from charming Cape Town.  As detailed on my live/blog connected below, we enjoyed some wonderful options in Port Elizabeth, Richards Bay and Durban. Richards Bay is especially great as it is an overnight stop.  We did a private tour that allowed us to stay overnight in one of their top national parks, rising at sunrise to experience amazing experiences, etc., etc.  Need proof and evidence?  I can share some photos to verify.  

PLUS, hopefully you come in early to allow enough time/days to recover from the long flights, plus have opportunities to explore Cape Town.  We spent four days there ahead of our cruise in this amazing part of South Africa, including the wine areas.  

We did not go to Namibia or Mossell Bay, so, sorry, I cannot be helpful for these locations. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,497 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Lots to LOVE and do along the South Africa coast during a Silversea cruise from charming Cape Town.  As detailed on my live/blog connected below, we enjoyed some wonderful options in Port Elizabeth, Richards Bay and Durban. Richards Bay is especially great as it is an overnight stop.  We did a private tour that allowed us to stay overnight in one of their top national parks, rising at sunrise to experience amazing experiences, etc., etc.  Need proof and evidence?  I can share some photos to verify.  

PLUS, hopefully you come in early to allow enough time/days to recover from the long flights, plus have opportunities to explore Cape Town.  We spent four days there ahead of our cruise in this amazing part of South Africa, including the wine areas.  

We did not go to Namibia or Mossell Bay, so, sorry, I cannot be helpful for these locations. 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,497 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Exceptionally helpful.  Thank You.  For some reason Chrome wouldn't let me access the link.

I just noticed that there are two  more identical cruises early 2024 so yes we would spend some time in Cape Town.   The December cruise would be over Christmas so that wouldn't work.

Looks like some beautiful hotels in Cape Town.  May I ask where you stayed?

SS is offering 4k roundtrip biz class.  Hard to tell in the post (maybe post 😏) Covid era but looks like I can probably get tickets (from SE USA)  for 4-5k and a 1k each credit and I get to set the schedule.

Looks like the Spirit was just refurbished in 2018 which is great.  We like the several smaller restaurants concept.

Do you think the ship will fill up quickly?  We would probably go with a veranda suite.

Mitchells Steakhouses still in Columbus?

Thanks again.

16 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Exceptionally helpful.  Thank You.  For some reason Chrome wouldn't let me access the link.   I just noticed that there are two  more identical cruises early 2024 so yes we would spend some time in Cape Town.   The December cruise would be over Christmas so that wouldn't work.  Looks like some beautiful hotels in Cape Town.  May I ask where you stayed?   SS is offering 4k roundtrip biz class.  Hard to tell in the post (maybe post 😏) Covid era but looks like I can probably get tickets (from SE USA)  for 4-5k and a 1k each credit and I get to set the schedule.   Looks like the Spirit was just refurbished in 2018 which is great.  We like the several smaller restaurants concept.   Do you think the ship will fill up quickly?  We would probably go with a veranda suite.   Mitchells Steakhouses still in Columbus?   Thanks again.

Appreciate your kind comments and many smart follow-up questions/info needs.  Not sure why Chrome would connect you to my live/blog.  My suggestion?  Copy and use Google with this search title: "Live/Cloud: South Africa-Botswana Terry/Ohio".  that should help you easily reach that web location.  Or, try another search engine?  

YES!  Mitchells Steakhouses are still in Columbus.  I have not been there in some time as they are kind of pricey and I like the wider menu variety offered at other more favorite dining options for our interests.  

Below is a link to a June 2017 Lisbon to France cruise we did on that very nice ship.  Much to love on this Silver Spirit ship.  And that was before its 2018 upgrades.  See the visual below.  Plus, many Silver Spirit food, entertainment, staff, etc., visuals on this live/blog.

Our Cape Town location for five days was the Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, 47 Main Road, Green Point, Cape Town.  It was very close to the V&A Waterfront, but a little away from this area that can be a little too-touristy at times.  We had a large apartment that gave us plenty of room and comfort.    

Added questions??  Happy to share more!!

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 31,839 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From our 2017 Silver Spirit sailing along the western French coast, here is one sunny view from my camera of this classy ship.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

CMZ_6628.thumb.jpeg.0bfbdcd2fb914bc16f9da1cdd16e6fee.jpeg

From a helicopter ride I did from the V&A Waterfront, here is the view that I captured.  Dramatic Cape Town view and area?.:

TC4_4353.thumb.jpeg.482232ae168123072ab918da83c26b97.jpeg

From the two days and an overnight stay during a private tour at the Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Game Reserve, we really were "up close and personal" for all that makes this area so great.  This is the oldest proclaimed nature reserve in Africa.  The hippos were seen nearby at  iSimangaliso Wetland Park. Being there overnight during these two days mades a huge difference in allowing both sunset and sunrise visual drama/experiences.  Richards Bay is the gateway to the land of the Zulu, one of Africa's most fascinating tribal peoples.  We also visited a Zulu school in this area.:

TC4_6645.thumb.jpeg.0881bf0397688b72d645b08f82e90b0d.jpeg

TC4_6731.thumb.jpeg.2629ae0d11308c123169db58400a687f.jpeg

TC4_6796.thumb.jpeg.e5871a65ba757835bf5f8fb73c29a2bb.jpeg

TC4_7546.thumb.jpeg.b9bc7b495eed960fb642c8973c0a813e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

SS just listed a Cape Town to Cape Town cruise in 12/23.  I'd be interested in people's impressions of the excursions.

ty

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/africa-indian-ocean-cruise/cape-town-to-cape-town-sl231228015.html

I have been there twice and the cruise is lovely for the pre cruie hotel we stayed at the V&A  hotel at the Victoria& Alfred harbour

Noe Nambia has the highest sand dues in the world you might want to check out Sandwich harbor .com we did a tour where the sand dunes meet the ocean and a 4x4 ride up and down

Also be aware of your surroundings and Table Top is a MUST

Enjoy

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

Couple of Questions

Weather:  The weather in Cape Town look great in Jan/Feb.  Its not recommended to go on Safari in SA (North) in Jan/Feb because its the rainy season.  Any issue with the excursions & weather in the North?

Veranda Suite:  Does the Deluxe Veranda have any advantage over the Superior other than location?

Terry Ohio....Thanks for the photos and report on South Africa which brought back so many happy experiences from past cruises.Every excursion undertaken in SA provided a variety of lifetime memories so our advice would be do whatever appeals to you and sure you will not be disappointed in SA

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks.   Couple of Questions

Weather:  The weather in Cape Town look great in Jan/Feb.  Its not recommended to go on Safari in SA (North) in Jan/Feb because its the rainy season.  Any issue with the excursions & weather in the North?

Veranda Suite:  Does the Deluxe Veranda have any advantage over the Superior other than location?

Appreciate this follow-up and these two very good questions.  As to the weather, yes, as my visuals verify, we had great, wonderful weather during our time in South Africa and Botswana.  Overall, we had nine different days doing safari-type activities and no weather or rain problems/challenges.  Not sure who is saying that it is not recommended to doing any safari actives there in January and February.  Tell us more!

On the Silversea ships, from doing six different cruises with them, a big plus is that you get great service and options regardless as to the type or location of your cabin.  You can spend more.  But, why?  A major factor is that these Silversea ships are relatively small and easy to navigate, get around, go up and down, etc.  Plus, for this type of cruise, you are doing massive numbers of sea-days.  

For us on our South Africa cruise, we did not have a balcony and did not miss that option that much.  We preferred to "re-allocate" that cost for a balcony and/or better room into have more flexibility to have better private excursions and pre- and post-cruise options.  The reason and best memories from doing Africa is about what you do and see on the land there.  Focus your resources for maximizing those safari and shore/port experiences??  That was our strategy and priority!!

More questions?  Don't be shy!!  Keep 'em coming.

As an additional "heads-up", be aware that some of the current economic and "stability" questions for South Africa are in question right now.  For late 2022 and early 2023, it is hard to predict what will be happening in that country.  There are serious, long-term questions for that part of the world that could affect future travel safety and availabilities.  Can explain more if needed.  We are glad we were able to visit there while things were stable and the costs were very affordable.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is some additional "proof" as our good weather, including the view from at the top at Cape Town's Table Mountain, the view from the harbor of the V&A Waterfront and at a nearby scenic shore location.  Plus, my wife with our expert guide near 400-year-old trees in Cape Town's wine country.  Look good and interesting?  And this is just around Cape Town!!:

TC4_4175.thumb.jpeg.75687b2987c01fe35ad0678c74bbcbad.jpeg

TC4_4435.thumb.jpeg.8cd46f259ef40316166479a8cdb225fe.jpeg

TC4_4975.thumb.jpeg.3f6459f92948a3c01b36cb874a257102.jpeg

TC4_4474.thumb.jpeg.3d8b745bd1ac6cac19497690feba33b7.jpeg

3 hours ago, brimary said:

Terry Ohio....Thanks for the photos and report on South Africa which brought back so many happy experiences from past cruises.Every excursion undertaken in SA provided a variety of lifetime memories so our advice would be do whatever appeals to you and sure you will not be disappointed in SA

Great to see your nice, above comments from our UK friend.  Glad to bring back super memories.  For both my wife and me, Africa might be our "Best of the Best" for total cruise and travel experiences.   The people there and being close to the animals creates an amazing series of wonderful memories.  Don't miss these areas.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,612 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks.

Couple of Questions

Remember to take your anti malarials.

16 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

As an additional "heads-up", be aware that some of the current economic and "stability" questions for South Africa are in question right now.  For late 2022 and early 2023, it is hard to predict what will be happening in that country.  There are serious, long-term questions for that part of the world that could affect future travel safety and availabilities.  Can explain more if needed.  We are glad we were able to visit there while things were stable and the costs were very affordable.  

Great stuff.

Yes please elaborate on safety, both on the excursions & Cape Town.   I pulled up the State Dept and its level 4 but I think because of Covid.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/south-africa-travel-advisory.html

Safety would be a big issue for us.  Your comment took some of the air out of our tires.

We really appreciate you taking the time to help us figure things out.

15 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Great stuff.   Yes please elaborate on safety, both on the excursions & Cape Town.  Safety would be a big issue for us.  Your comment took some of the air out of our tires.   We really appreciate you taking the time to help us figure things out.

Appreciate your follow-up.  Not trying to scare anybody!  Just trying to be BOTH build awareness and be realistic.  In preparing for various trips, whether it be to the Amazon River, SE Asia, Africa, the Middle East, etc., I like to do extensive pre-trip research as to the economic, social and political background for these varied areas.   Why?  It is interesting as I have a strong personal interest in history, etc.   PLUS, understanding the "CONTEXT" for these areas being visited adds much to learn more about these varied parts of the world.  

South Africa's political, economic, racial, etc., background is complex from its many years of Dutch and British influence AND, then the whole pre- and post-history as relates to Nelson Mandela, his views of justice", etc.  South Africa has had huge wealth from its gold, diamonds, natural resources, etc.  BUT, that wealth today is not as significant as it once was AND there have huge battles/debates as to gets what share of that money and power.  Plus, South Africa has a large population with many "class" and huge political power divisions.  

This below-link story nine days ago from the AP/Associated Press gives some insights and a solid summary.  It was headlined as: What caused South Africa’s week of rioting? with these highlights: “South Africa has been rocked by the worst violence since the nation achieved democracy in 1994.  The unrest began on July 8 when former President Jacob Zuma started serving a 15-month prison sentence for contempt of court. Supporters in his home province of KwaZulu-Natal set up roadblocks on major highways and burned about 20 trucks. The protests closed the N3 and N2 highways, which link the Indian Ocean ports of Durban and Richard’s Bay to the industrial hub of Johannesburg and to Cape Town.  The unrest spread within KwaZulu-Natal, where shopping malls and centers were ransacked by mobs. Attacks on retail centers also spread inland to Gauteng province, to Johannesburg, the country’s largest city, and to Pretoria, the capital. In Durban and Pietermaritzburg, crowds attacked warehouses for major retailers and factories. The unrest lasted for a week until 25,000 army troops were deployed.   At least 215 people died in the unrest, and more than 2,500 were arrested on charges including theft and vandalism.  The unrest was largely limited to the KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng provinces, which together account for nearly 50% of South Africa’s GDP. The violence did not spread to South Africa’s other seven provinces.  South Africa’s economy may sustain longer-term damage if domestic and international investors view the unrest as a sign that the country is not a safe destination for their capital. South Africa’s economy was already in recession, and the instability is expected to cause the economy to contract even further. The hardest hit will be South Africa’s poor.  The extent of the rioting exposed South Africa’s underlying economic problems, including high rates of unemployment and poverty. Unemployment is more than 32%, and it is above 64% for those under the age of 35.”

I can share more, but these many different levels of "differences" have fueled massive tensions and divisions.  Hopefully for the future, things will be "stable", but the long-term issues will continue to affect their economy and society.  

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/article/africa-business-biden-cabinet-south-africa-2d0aaef63102a661c8e54d3bdf926566

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 90,982 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Thanks Terry

Yes I always do an in-depth analysis of stability before we book.  You have just made that job much easier for me.  We have discussed going on a Safari but given our ages its something we decided not to do.  This cruise looked like a good alternative.

I knew Johannesburg had a lot of issues but haven't really followed South Africa politics from my Covid cocoon.  Unfortunately this isn't something we will do given the unrest.  So its back to Australia/NZ, South America & Europe.  We've been to Europe many many times but never St Petersburg.  

Australia/NZ is pretty straight forward just a decision of SS or Seabourn

Again, I can't tell you how helpful you have been.

And sometimes an "upgrade" to a higher-level cabin isn't really an upgrade. Being on a higher deck can mean more motion in rough seas than a lower deck; being under the pool deck can mean some noise from chairs being moved in the early morning. On the other hand, location low and midship, or relatively near elevators, might be an advantage. I'd say to choose based on specific suite location and, if you can get a location you like that's Superior and less expensive than Deluxe, by all means save the money.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks Terry.  Yes I always do an in-depth analysis of stability before we book.  You have just made that job much easier for me.  We have discussed going on a Safari but given our ages its something we decided not to do.  This cruise looked like a good alternative.   I knew Johannesburg had a lot of issues but haven't really followed South Africa politics from my Covid cocoon.  Unfortunately this isn't something we will do given the unrest.  So its back to Australia/NZ, South America & Europe.  We've been to Europe many many times but never St Petersburg.  Australia/NZ is pretty straight forward just a decision of SS or Seabourn    Again, I can't tell you how helpful you have been.

Great to hear that I have been helpful, but I hope that I did not discourage you too much from doing either South Africa and/or safaris in that amazing region.  Our experiences there were totally amazing.  Plus, there are many parts of the world where there are questions regarding the "stability", economics, etc.  All require careful and thoughtful consideration, research and planning.  

As to St. Petersburg, YES!, YES!!  That is an amazing city with such wonderful history, super architecture, world-class art and culture, etc., etc.  In researching for there, make sure you do a cruise that offers three days in that port.  AND, consider doing one of these days in going to Moscow and back. Why? Being able to contrast both cities allows a better depth of understanding for all that makes Russian history and culture so unique and interesting.  

Plus, most important, private tours in St. Petersburg allow much more flexibility to see added sights, pace your tours to fit your needs/travel style, etc.  Can share more about Russia.  Below are a few items as "photo evidence" for the greatness that is there.  Added questions?

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,619 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg.  Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we  are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission.  There are only fifteen such paintings by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum.  It is both!  This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482.  The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.  At the Hermitage, it is just not about famed painting.  Also, see one of the unique table designs on display there.:

DSC_4523.thumb.jpeg.d88f972906d3539914f30e9b580a062f.jpeg

DSC_4512.thumb.jpeg.1f018f2d5594b7eb9fb597e2b9cea863.jpeg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band.  This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg.  The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.  Second is a small sample of the many fountains and water features at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg.:

DSC_4318.thumb.jpeg.022679b2192c03a41cfa04aa8b0dce9e.jpeg

DSC_4423.thumb.jpeg.ed5871f8c2e0cde1f27fcfdaf7585bdb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

TLCOhio, is there a link or list somewhere to the ports where you did the safari like activities? Did the ship go up the East or west side? I’m assuming West, but just starting my investigation.  

38 minutes ago, jeno said:

TLCOhio, is there a link or list somewhere to the ports where you did the safari like activities? Did the ship go up the East or west side? I’m assuming West, but just starting my investigation.  

Glad you are starting your research and planning about South Africa.  There are many, many options and potentials to consider.  It takes time to prepare accordingly.  

On my live/blog connected below, it gives many, many more of those various details.  Below is a quicker graphics that might answer a good number of your basic questions.  

Overall, as this might be your one and only visit to this distant part of the world, doing BOTH pre- and post-cruise options would be well-worth considering.  For us, the five days pre-cruise in and around Cape Town was totally awesome.  Then, the time in Botswana after the end of the cruise allowed us six days of doing safari's.   All worked so very, very well.  The proof and evidence are seen in visuals on the live/blog.

Other questions?  Don't be shy!!  Post on this thread or even quicker, ask on the live/blog and I will be happy to share more.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,630 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

This below graphic that I prepared gives more details and timings for the ports and areas that our 2016 South Africa cruise visited.  Other than what we did post-cruise in Botswana, our major South Africa safari experiences were in Addo Elephant National Park and the two days at Hiuhluwe- Umfolozi, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1333192523_ScreenShot2021-08-16at10_23_01AM.thumb.png.ce21b097739d414277b422beba79a8cc.png

On 7/28/2021 at 10:00 AM, TLCOhio said:

Plus, my wife with our expert guide near 400-year-old trees in Cape Town's wine country.  Look good and interesting?  And this is just around Cape Town!!:

Terry! Thanks for the picture of Glen. We used her as a tour guide on your recommendation when we went back to Stellenbosch in 2016, and we loved our time with her. 🙂

DSCN8303.thumb.JPG.b5d4b24ae41616ec211f5904150de8d9.JPG

Currently looking to return to Southern Africa in the next year (if we can) - maybe Botswana/Victoria Falls or Namibia this time...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Glad you are starting your research and planning about South Africa.  There are many, many options and potentials to consider.  It takes time to prepare accordingly.  

On my live/blog connected below, it gives many, many more of those various details.  Below is a quicker graphics that might answer a good number of your basic questions.  

Overall, as this might be your one and only visit to this distant part of the world, doing BOTH pre- and post-cruise options would be well-worth considering.  For us, the five days pre-cruise in and around Cape Town was totally awesome.  Then, the time in Botswana after the end of the cruise allowed us six days of doing safari's.   All worked so very, very well.  The proof and evidence are seen in visuals on the live/blog.

Other questions?  Don't be shy!!  Post on this thread or even quicker, ask on the live/blog and I will be happy to share more.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,630 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

This below graphic that I prepared gives more details and timings for the ports and areas that our 2016 South Africa cruise visited.  Other than what we did post-cruise in Botswana, our major South Africa safari experiences were in Addo Elephant National Park and the two days at Hiuhluwe- Umfolozi, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1333192523_ScreenShot2021-08-16at10_23_01AM.thumb.png.ce21b097739d414277b422beba79a8cc.png

Thanks so much! 

We did a similar cruise on SS Explorer.  Also one one Oceania.

Capetown -- lots to do there.  From the usual city and Table Mountain to excursions out of the City to wine country.  Then also to the south coast where we did a great white shark dive.  Be sure to go to the prison on Robin Island.   We stayed at the V&A hotel right on the waterfront.

Port Elizabeth -- great place to go on a safari as you have many managed areas.  We did one overnight at Shamwari (where Born Free was filmed).  You can do same from Durban too.

Richards Bay -- we did a river cruise looking for Hippos.

Whalvis bay was our favorite,   Did the 4 wheel drive in the desert.

DSC_3114.JPG

DSC_3135.JPG

DSC_3148.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 8:39 PM, jpalbny said:

Terry! Thanks for the picture of Glen. We used her as a tour guide on your recommendation when we went back to Stellenbosch in 2016, and we loved our time with her. 🙂Currently looking to return to Southern Africa in the next year (if we can) - maybe Botswana/Victoria Falls or Namibia this time...

Super appreciate these great comments and follow-up from JP about excellent guide Glen and your future interests for southern Africa.  Good luck with that planning and prep.  Clearly there are many challenges ahead for that part of the world.  

YES!!!  From our personal experiences, both Victoria Falls and Botswana are awesome.  Need proof?  Below are three items of "evidence" from my camera.  Need more?  While we have not yet been to Namibia, our friends who haven there, loved it.  But, Namibia is more about uniques landscapes versus the wildlife, etc.

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,393 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is another visual of my wife and Glenn as we explored the scenic wine lands near Cape Town.  Yes, a wonderful area with much interesting history and great sights.:

TC4_4718.thumb.jpeg.1f8504e7c10885664f3d62c67afd63fa.jpeg

As evidence for doing more in this region, here is one view of Victoria Falls.  Plus four pix's from Botswana.  These areas are a photographer's dream!!! So much to see, love and do!!!!.:

TC4_8489.thumb.jpeg.ada0e25555ec7952610c23bb484828ea.jpeg

DSC_2251.thumb.jpeg.8d3be86949e3ca389bbfba25e13b660a.jpeg

DSC_2366.thumb.jpeg.0bba28d7bc48ff7ed4911125ba970403.jpeg

DSC_2673.thumb.jpeg.4d3193d7496bad0fc4b27608a95a2b8e.jpeg

DSC_2980.thumb.jpeg.ed2c8e26599ff5dcd6a7d5ca2a36e898.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 1:02 PM, PaulMCO said:

We did a similar cruise on SS Explorer. Then also to the south coast where we did a great white shark dive.  Be sure to go to the prison on Robin Island.   Whalvis bay was our favorite,   Did the 4 wheel drive in the desert.

Appreciate these follow-up comments, pictures and suggestions from our Florida friend.  Agree that Robbins Island is well worth the trip to experience the significant history there, plus the south coast, etc.  So much to see and do in ad around Cape Town.  

Hi Terry! Do you mind if I ask how you created that great graphic showing your cruise stops layered on top of the map? I would love to do something similar for the photo books I create after big trips. It really shows up well!

Thanks,

Maureen