Looking for Assistance regarding Excursions/things to do or see while utilizing Mobility Scooter when visiting new ports

alliebrandy

Will be cruising to the following ports of call (first time visiting any of the places) Bar Harbor, Maine; St. John, NB; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Charlottetown, PEI (2 days in port); Sydney, Nova Scotia; and Portland, Maine in September 2022 and though I know it is extremely early, would like to begin to learn about these areas and get any suggestions for things to do or see.  Hubby and I utilize mobility scooters to get around easily - but are wondering if anyone knows of what we might be able to enjoy rather than having to just park the scooters and get into a bus.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I am extremely hopeful that the one port (tendered) in Bar Harbor, we will be able to get our scooters off the ship and be able to use them on land.  we really love to explore new ports, even if we just stay close to port.

thank you

allie

PS - i have posted in Disability forum also.

Edited by alliebrandy
added a PS

3 hours ago, alliebrandy said:

I am extremely hopeful that the one port (tendered) in Bar Harbor, we will be able to get our scooters off the ship and be able to use them on land.

Assuming that the scooters you use weigh less than 600 pounds when occupied, then the transit systems in the cities you mention would be able (and at least within the United States are required) to transport the two of you on the bus with your scooters . . . no need to park and leave them behind. There are some nuances within the ADA regulations as to privately-operated services (depending on whether they are operated as regularly-scheduled fixed-route, demand response, by a business not primarily in the transportation business, etc.), but again you should generally be able to travel with your scooters as they are deemed to be wheelchairs. See USDOT's interpretation of its regulation at 49 C.F.R. 37.3.

The main issue I see is whether sights of interest are actually served by transit systems. Many of the ports of call in the itinerary have reasonable transit systems that provide good access to their respective regions. The largest exception to that is Charlottetown, which has a rather limited (though in recent years growing) public transit system. To the extent that local transit in Charlottetown goes to where you want to go, you should be in good shape, but accessibility in Canada is, of course, not governed by the ADA, and private companies are not as accommodating as in the United States. I have read complaints about accessible non-transit transportation in Charlottetown (e.g., taxis). Nonetheless, I would tend to approach the issue by first deciding where you would like to go, and then secondarily ensuring that there exists accessible transportation there.

9 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Assuming that the scooters you use weigh less than 600 pounds when occupied, then the transit systems in the cities you mention would be able (and at least within the United States are required) to transport the two of you on the bus with your scooters . . . no need to park and leave them behind. There are some nuances within the ADA regulations as to privately-operated services (depending on whether they are operated as regularly-scheduled fixed-route, demand response, by a business not primarily in the transportation business, etc.), but again you should generally be able to travel with your scooters as they are deemed to be wheelchairs. See USDOT's interpretation of its regulation at 49 C.F.R. 37.3.

The main issue I see is whether sights of interest are actually served by transit systems. Many of the ports of call in the itinerary have reasonable transit systems that provide good access to their respective regions. The largest exception to that is Charlottetown, which has a rather limited (though in recent years growing) public transit system. To the extent that local transit in Charlottetown goes to where you want to go, you should be in good shape, but accessibility in Canada is, of course, not governed by the ADA, and private companies are not as accommodating as in the United States. I have read complaints about accessible non-transit transportation in Charlottetown (e.g., taxis). Nonetheless, I would tend to approach the issue by first deciding where you would like to go, and then secondarily ensuring that there exists accessible transportation there.

Thank you for the information.  We certainly appreciate your knowledge.  Hope you are enjoying your summer.

Allie 🙂 

• Like 1

For the ports in Maine, I can give some insight.  Bar Harbor is very hilly, and the ramp from the tender dock is very steep.  Sidewalks in Maine suffer greatly from winter frost heaves, and many are brick, so they are not flat and smooth.  For Portland, the downtown area is also hilly, and the sidewalks are mainly brick, and some of the streets are cobblestone, so again, not real scooter friendly, though I do see them about town.  While all of Portland's buses can handle two chairs at a time, I'm not sure the small scale transportation in Bar Harbor can.  Also, due to the historical nature of Portland, many businesses are not accessible.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

For the ports in Maine, I can give some insight.  Bar Harbor is very hilly, and the ramp from the tender dock is very steep.  Sidewalks in Maine suffer greatly from winter frost heaves, and many are brick, so they are not flat and smooth.  For Portland, the downtown area is also hilly, and the sidewalks are mainly brick, and some of the streets are cobblestone, so again, not real scooter friendly, though I do see them about town.  While all of Portland's buses can handle two chairs at a time, I'm not sure the small scale transportation in Bar Harbor can.  Also, due to the historical nature of Portland, many businesses are not accessible.

Thank you for the information.  Very much appreciated. 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

In Halifax port there is a very long boardwalk (all wooden) and a huge market very close to where the ship is parked.   You can enjoy all the restaurants and shops all along there.   Very easy with scooters and I enjoyed the whole area.  Lots of places to see and nice views of the ocean etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

In Halifax port there is a very long boardwalk (all wooden) and a huge market very close to where the ship is parked.   You can enjoy all the restaurants and shops all along there.   Very easy with scooters and I enjoyed the whole area.  Lots of places to see and nice views of the ocean etc.

Thanks for this.  :classic_cool:

On 8/14/2021 at 7:30 PM, mexico8 said:

Thank you for the information.  I think this will be our way to go.  We love exploring on our own this way.  I just make sure to have an extension cord along with chargers for those "just in case moments" when not sure if they can make it back to ship and up gangway!  Happened in Cozumel once, but we pulled into a cantina and they let us charge up for about an hour or so, while we had some appetizers and drank some beer or margaritas. 🙂 

There are many places in Halifax near the port to plug in your scooter.   Lots of nice coffee shops and restaurants and the people there are so pleasant and helpful.  We love Nova Scotia and just booked flights and hotel for 8 days in October.  We will be very close to the boardwalk near the port and it's great for me and my scooter to tour around.   

On 8/19/2021 at 12:41 PM, mexico8 said:

There are many places in Halifax near the port to plug in your scooter.   Lots of nice coffee shops and restaurants and the people there are so pleasant and helpful.  We love Nova Scotia and just booked flights and hotel for 8 days in October.  We will be very close to the boardwalk near the port and it's great for me and my scooter to tour around.   

Thank you for the information.  I am really looking forward to getting back out and travelling.  Hopefully by the time we do, we won't have to worry about still getting sick.  🙂  Wish you happy travels as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...