Confused about Carnival ships in Florida

TargetsMom

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

They will have to follow them if they lose the lawsuit. 

Carnival is following the letter of the law. Why keep bringing up an irrelevant lawsuit? Nothing is going to change, regardless.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TargetsMom said:

I understand how Royal Caribbean is getting around the law that prevents the cruise lines from asking about one's vax status (by "allowing" pax to "volunteer" their status and treating those who choose not to as unvax'd). Carnival seems to be saying that their ships will sail out of Florida with 95% vax'd and are requiring proof of vax. So are they going to be able to sail? Will they be fined? Or ... am I missing something?

Also, reading the covid info on the Carnival site it sounds as if vax'd people will not have to wear masks indoors in most cases. Since the CDC just recommended masks for everyone indoors, even vax'd folks, I wonder if Carnival will change course (so to speak) at the last minute?

Thoughts?

kathy

Hi Kathy, @coffeebean here. Just want to say "hi".  So nice to see a familiar face!

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival is following the letter of the law. Why keep bringing up an irrelevant lawsuit? Nothing is going to change, regardless.

When it comes to cruises, yes the lawsuit is irrelevant since the cruise lines want to follow the protocols both for safety reasons and for a defense in case there are lawsuits. However, the lawsuit might become relevant if it is eventually upheld and allows a judge to say I can overrule the experts in a federal agency.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

When it comes to cruises, yes the lawsuit is irrelevant since the cruise lines want to follow the protocols both for safety reasons and for a defense in case there are lawsuits. However, the lawsuit might become relevant if it is eventually upheld and allows a judge to say I can overrule the experts in a federal agency.

The obvious remedy to that would be for Congress to explicitly state the CDC has the authority over cruise ships and be done with it. 

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The obvious remedy to that would be for Congress to explicitly state the CDC has the authority over cruise ships and be done with it. 

That assumes that Congress can actually get anything done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Note even while Florida has been winning their lawsuit (which no cruise line joined

No cruise line has the opportunity to 'join' this lawsuit.  This is a case based on states rights, not some class action lawsuit.

I think one of the many reasons cruise lines are willing to follow the CFC mandate/recommendation is not only to make sure they are sailing with 95% plus vaccinated passenger but that the ports they enter will allow thoses guests to disembark. I just read today that Puerto Rico is not allowing any unvaccinated off the ships in San Juan. This could be the beggining of a trend in the Caribbean. While i wouldnt mind a short cruise to nowhere, I enjoy the port stops. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmm8631 said:

I think one of the many reasons cruise lines are willing to follow the CFC mandate/recommendation is not only to make sure they are sailing with 95% plus vaccinated passenger but that the ports they enter will allow thoses guests to disembark. I just read today that Puerto Rico is not allowing any unvaccinated off the ships in San Juan. This could be the beggining of a trend in the Caribbean. While i wouldnt mind a short cruise to nowhere, I enjoy the port stops. 

Even before this new upswing in cases, the lines would have been taking a huge risk to have unvaccinated aboard.  Now, it would be industry suicide!  Not to mention, anyone who cruises knows there is absolutely no way to social distance on a ship.  At this point, cruise ships are the last place anyone who is not vaccinated should be.  For everyone's sake.  

9 hours ago, ray98 said:

No cruise line has the opportunity to 'join' this lawsuit.  This is a case based on states rights, not some class action lawsuit.

The suit said Florida is losing money because of the CDC regulations. Yet, NCL in the appeals process filed a response favoring the CDC. And the cruise lines having been following the regulations set by the CDC despite Florida so far being ahead in the suit. It does very much seem that the cruise lines do not want or need the interference by Florida that was supposedly to help them get restarted.

On 7/28/2021 at 6:56 PM, coffeebean said:

Hi Kathy, @coffeebean here. Just want to say "hi".  So nice to see a familiar face!

Hi! Hopefully, we will see more familiar faces online as we inch back toward normal life! It seems as if more people are open to the idea of getting on a ship again. Fingers crossed that trend continues (and that we are all sailing soon!)

k.