Covid19 on Celebrity Edge

myn

4 hours ago, jg51 said:

Congratulations, "Ken the cruiser," on your wise, stated intention to proceed with your B2B2B cruises, rather than to "chicken out."  We won't comment on your intention "to wear a mask when [you're] in public areas on ... the ship" -- except to say that we would definitely not be joining you in doing that, if we were aboard with you.  Here's why:

It may be true that, in your fine state (Alabama) -- and perhaps in some other states -- that you have "been doing it [i.e., wearing a mask] for the past 15+ months" ... but that is definitely not true in our state nor in many other states.  In fact, we have not worn a mask -- anywhere or at any time -- for at least two months!  Thanks to the wisdom and benevolence of our state government, we always get to see the faces of 95% of our fellow citizens, because we have not been required to wear masks ...

~~~ in our crowded churches ...

~~~ in our retail stores and malls ...

~~~ in our restaurants (including buffet-style restaurants, where serving utensils are shared, with no ill effects) ...

~~~ in our public libraries ...

~~~ in our classrooms ...

~~~ in our professional and amateur sports venues, where people gather in crowds (even without being tested to gain admission) ...

~~~ etc., etc., etc..

Being able to stop wearing masks (probably in May) has been marvelous -- such a physically and psychologically "freeing" experience -- that we cannot even find sufficient words to describe the thrill of it.  We have now gone for so long without wearing masks that we don't even remember where our masks are!  We'll have to perform a tough search to find them, in order to be able to fly to a future cruise and to pass through the dockside terminal with faces covered!

In rebellion against a phrase that keeps popping up on threads, here at CruiseCritic, we now refuse to say that a "pandemic" still exists -- at least in some nations and probably in many states of the U.S..  No pandemic exists wherever there has been a high level of vaccination and a high level of prudent behavior by citizens.  Now it is not a "period of pandemic" here, but a time of "business as usual" instead. 

Actually, even the word, "pandemic," should not have been used, back in March, 2020.  It is a word that was chosen to generate great fear -- even terror -- in people.  Some poor folks wrongly think that it comes from "pandemonium," and that very thing frightens them.  Why should "pandemic" not have been used?  Because it is an inaccurate word to have used, given the circumstances.  "Pandemic" comes from two Greek roots -- "pan" (meaning "all") and "demos" (meaning "the people").  Thus, it is a disease that infects "all the people" -- something that is nowhere near true of CoViD-19!

We have been shocked to see, on this and other recent threads, so many reactions of horror and dismay about the new virus cases on Celebrity ships -- even on the Edge.  Why have we been shocked?  We had assumed that all CruiseCritic members have been closely following the cruise-related news of the past twelve months.  We had assumed that everyone had noticed that voyages have been taking place for many months in the Eastern Hemisphere and for almost two months in the Western Hemisphere -- and that there have been occasional CoViD-19 cases being diagnosed on ships ... but there have not been any disastrous "outbreaks."

What we are trying to say is this:  The rarity of the recent onboard cases -- and the immediate "control" of those few cases -- should have moved all members here not to give in to the temptation to be fearful (much less panicky).  Our confidence can and should be boosted by reading about the case of one overseas cruise ship, which has made a hundred voyages in 2020-2021 -- carrying over 100,000 passengers -- with no [or almost no] cases of CoViD-19 being contracted aboard.

We are convinced that there is absolutely no reason to be shocked about the Edge (or the Millennium, etc.), no reason to panic, no reason to delay cruising [e.g., to "lift and shift" to 2023], and not even any reason to wear a mask aboard a ship!  We'll "cut you some slack," Ken, because of your special circumstance -- your B2B2B -- which makes you desire to take special pains to avoid being removed from the ship prematurely (after being tested twice) ... BUT ... we do want to urge you to be brave enough to take off that blasted mask (and leave it off) after re-boarding on your third embarkation day!

We wish you a marvelous trio of cruises!

It’s pretty shocking how odious your smug comments on the “marvelous…freeing” experience of being mask-free in your daily life come across in black and white print. It actually took me a few moments to settle on the adjective “odious” to describe them.  But since most of your post was about you, your feelings, and your subsequent choices. 

There are literally MILLIONS dead from Covid, which your armchair epidemiology/ etymology conveniently never mentions. That actually *does* qualify it as a pandemic. 

Historically, the term pandemic applies when an illness has spread to many people across different regions and countries. As someone who teaches Greek and Latin roots, kudos for LEGO-blocking the word at its most literal level and yet failing to understand the historical connotations applied to the denotative definition. 

I’m sure the mods will take my post down, but I have a coworker who has been in ICU for a month and a young friend who was in ICU for weeks. My patience for the justification of selfishness has worn thin. And in a week, I enter a building where I’m sure 95% of my students will be unmasked and unvaccinated, and I worry for their well-being. 

• Like 60
  • Thanks 3

We have not been "required" to wear masks for months. I am fully vaccinated and still wear a  surgical mask indoors while shopping, etc. I do not even notice I have it on. Now kn95 and n95 are more uncomfortable but I will wear them if I feel I need to. That being said, we are cruising in 3 weeks and hope not to have to wear masks onboard. I feel the vaccination rate is much better on the ship than at the grocery store.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jg51 said:

Congratulations, "Ken the cruiser," on your wise, stated intention to proceed with your B2B2B cruises, rather than to "chicken out."  We won't comment on your intention "to wear a mask when [you're] in public areas on ... the ship" -- except to say that we would definitely not be joining you in doing that, if we were aboard with you.  Here's why:

It may be true that, in your fine state (Alabama) -- and perhaps in some other states -- that you have "been doing it [i.e., wearing a mask] for the past 15+ months" ... but that is definitely not true in our state nor in many other states.  In fact, we have not worn a mask -- anywhere or at any time -- for at least two months!  Thanks to the wisdom and benevolence of our state government, we always get to see the faces of 95% of our fellow citizens, because we have not been required to wear masks ...

~~~ in our restaurants (including buffet-style restaurants, where serving utensils are shared, with no ill effects) ...

~~~ in our professional and amateur sports venues, where people gather in crowds (even without being tested to gain admission) ...

~~~ etc., etc., etc..

Being able to stop wearing masks (probably in May) has been marvelous -- such a physically and psychologically "freeing" experience -- that we cannot even find sufficient words to describe the thrill of it.  We have now gone for so long without wearing masks that we don't even remember where our masks are!  We'll have to perform a tough search to find them, in order to be able to fly to a future cruise and to pass through the dockside terminal with faces covered!

In rebellion against a phrase that keeps popping up on threads, here at CruiseCritic, we now refuse to say that a "pandemic" still exists -- at least in some nations and probably in many states of the U.S..  No pandemic exists wherever there has been a high level of vaccination and a high level of prudent behavior by citizens.  Now it is not a "period of pandemic" here, but a time of "business as usual" instead. 

Actually, even the word, "pandemic," should not have been used, back in March, 2020.  It is a word that was chosen to generate great fear -- even terror -- in people.  Some poor folks wrongly think that it comes from "pandemonium," and that very thing frightens them.  Why should "pandemic" not have been used?  Because it is an inaccurate word to have used, given the circumstances.  "Pandemic" comes from two Greek roots -- "pan" (meaning "all") and "demos" (meaning "the people").  Thus, it is a disease that infects "all the people" -- something that is nowhere near true of CoViD-19!

We have been shocked to see, on this and other recent threads, so many reactions of horror and dismay about the new virus cases on Celebrity ships -- even on the Edge.  Why have we been shocked?  We had assumed that all CruiseCritic members have been closely following the cruise-related news of the past twelve months.  We had assumed that everyone had noticed that voyages have been taking place for many months in the Eastern Hemisphere and for almost two months in the Western Hemisphere -- and that there have been occasional CoViD-19 cases being diagnosed on ships ... but there have not been any disastrous "outbreaks."

What we are trying to say is this:  The rarity of the recent onboard cases -- and the immediate "control" of those few cases -- should have moved all members here not to give in to the temptation to be fearful (much less panicky).  Our confidence can and should be boosted by reading about the case of one overseas cruise ship, which has made a hundred voyages in 2020-2021 -- carrying over 100,000 passengers -- with no [or almost no] cases of CoViD-19 being contracted aboard.

We are convinced that there is absolutely no reason to be shocked about the Edge (or the Millennium, etc.), no reason to panic, no reason to delay cruising [e.g., to "lift and shift" to 2023], and not even any reason to wear a mask aboard a ship!  We'll "cut you some slack," Ken, because of your special circumstance -- your B2B2B -- which makes you desire to take special pains to avoid being removed from the ship prematurely (after being tested twice) ... BUT ... we do want to urge you to be brave enough to take off that blasted mask (and leave it off) after re-boarding on your third embarkation day!

respectfully to each his own. in my opinion your head is in the sand.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jg51 said:

~~~ etc., etc., etc..

Curious:  in what instate you do you reside?

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This incident definitely isn't deterring us from going on our cruise in 9 days and a wake-up! But it does reinforce the necessity for us to wear a mask when we're in public areas on and off the ship. After all, we've been doing it for the past 15+ months and until something drastically changes, it appears we'll be wearing a mask for quite sometime to come. Besides, we're going to be on a B2B2B which means we'll be getting an antigen test before each transition day, and the last thing we want is to be told we can't sail on the next leg. 

BTW I might add the vaccines are still the light at the end of the tunnel and our train car is finally getting ready to drop us off at the ship next week. Yes!!! 😎

Ken, given where we live, you should wear a mask everywhere you go right now, in order to still be negative in 10 days

Edited by cangelmd
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Just get a  third shot of Phizer , new data suggests it’s pretty well stops it. N 95 masks on a cruise? Crazy.

WHO is going to fight Pfizer to get shots to 3rd world countries before wealthy nations release boosters, especially to healthy people. Likely that is the right thing to do in order to stop variants. We will see.

• Like 1

I have seen 3 passengers with the blue ribbon on their wrist. The first was in an elevator without a mask.  The other 2 were in Oceanview and They were double masked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Just another reason why we carry Med Jet coverage for evacuation.  They have now added Covid19 coverage worldwide.

If you are a member, you know that you have to be sick enough to be hospitalized before MedJet enters the picture. It is for hospital to hospital transfer with approval of the receiving physician. If you are under quarantine by doctor or government order, transfer is not possible according to their website.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Babr said:

If you are a member, you know that you have to be sick enough to be hospitalized before MedJet enters the picture. It is for hospital to hospital transfer with approval of the receiving physician. If you are under quarantine by doctor or government order, transfer is not possible according to their website.

I just read those guidelines and no was not aware of those restrictions regarding quarantine issues.  I did know about the need for being hospitalized.    It's still better than having nothing at all.

We're booked on Edge, Aug. 28. I've been covering the pandemic (yes, the WHO has officially called it that, so it literally is one, opinions not withstanding) as a local journalist since March, 2020. We'll be going and taking some care -- especially in Florida, where we have to fly from a Pa. county that is more than 90% vaccinated (those over 18) to an area where the virus runs rampant.

Will we mask up on board? Probably, at times, especially in crowded areas inside, although I have confidence in the changes to the ship's HVAC systems to constantly cycle fresh air inside (the lack of which is what makes restaurants and bars so dangerous on land).

We know some risk is involved -- but we also know sailing at the peak of hurricane season is a risk, too.

Cases will happen and X/RCG seem to have a good handle on protocols.

Can't wait for that feeling when you first get on board....  

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I just read those guidelines and no was not aware of those restrictions regarding quarantine issues.  I did know about the need for being hospitalized.    It's still better than having nothing at all.

MedJet is a good plan. Comprehensive travel insurance also provides for evacuation. Both have restrictions.

My point is that once the cruise lines end their Covid assistance plans, then passengers will have to change their expectations about how they will be treated if they test positive or become ill. At that point, it is up to the passenger and his insurance company to pay.  Don’t expect to be whisked away on a private jet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mmcgann11 said:

We're booked on Edge, Aug. 28. I've been covering the pandemic (yes, the WHO has officially called it that, so it literally is one, opinions not withstanding) as a local journalist since March, 2020. We'll be going and taking some care -- especially in Florida, where we have to fly from a Pa. county that is more than 90% vaccinated (those over 18) to an area where the virus runs rampant.

Will we mask up on board? Probably, at times, especially in crowded areas inside, although I have confidence in the changes to the ship's HVAC systems to constantly cycle fresh air inside (the lack of which is what makes restaurants and bars so dangerous on land).

We know some risk is involved -- but we also know sailing at the peak of hurricane season is a risk, too.

Cases will happen and X/RCG seem to have a good handle on protocols.

Can't wait for that feeling when you first get on board....  

on this current sailing there are a small minority of pax wearing masks, I even saw one gentlemen wearing a (most likely) a N95 mask while laying out at a pool lounger (that one surprised me, lol).  You won’t be alone wearing one.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, luv2cruisesunshine said:

If you haven't been following the news you are very behind-the Edge is only one of many cruise lines that have had this problem.  Check the boards as well as the news, it won't matter anyway, the cruise lines will probably be shut down prior to then anyway because of folks who can't or won't follow simple rules and let those who do enjoy.

I do check the boards and don't feel behind. That said, you're going to have to connect some dots for me. How did we get from discussing 1 sick person on Edge to "the cruise lines will probably be shut down prior to then anyway because of folks who can't or won't follow simple rules"? Have I missed some massive rule-breaking rebellion besides showing up at the port an hour prior to one's scheduled arrival time?

Anyway, Edge doesn't seem to have a problem. I just checked the live report thread and people on board are talking about show times, whether or not they like the martini bar, and how windy it is today. I look forward to sailing on her soon.

• Like 7

As a Canadian, ANY cases on board scare me as our travel insurance will not cover cancellation / interruption / quarantining due to covid. They will cover the medical aspects. Do I think Celebrity would fly me and my travel party home to Nova Scotia from the Caribbean for free in a private plane?  Not so sure on that one.  

I think another poster mentioned a couple of pages ago that flying covid passengers home for free is only happening until October anyways.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

As a Canadian, ANY cases on board scare me as our travel insurance will not cover cancellation / interruption / quarantining due to covid. They will cover the medical aspects. Do I think Celebrity would fly me and my travel party home to Nova Scotia from the Caribbean for free in a private plane?  Not so sure on that one.  

I think another poster mentioned a couple of pages ago that flying covid passengers home for free is only happening until October anyways.

Yes, the Celebrity Covid-19 Assistance plan ends October 30, 2021. You can find the details on their Healthy Sail page.

If you are traveling outside that window, you will be responsible for arrangements.

12 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I do check the boards and don't feel behind. That said, you're going to have to connect some dots for me. How did we get from discussing 1 sick person on Edge to "the cruise lines will probably be shut down prior to then anyway because of folks who can't or won't follow simple rules"? Have I missed some massive rule-breaking rebellion besides showing up at the port an hour prior to one's scheduled arrival time?

Anyway, Edge doesn't seem to have a problem. I just checked the live report thread and people on board are talking about show times, whether or not they like the martini bar, and how windy it is today. I look forward to sailing on her soon.

RickYak there are people that take this all in stride after 18 months and can live with an occasional (expected) case on a fully vaccinated cruise ship.  There have been no outbreaks, no deaths, and no serious illness reported.  That is all positive.   Then there are some who think we are one step away from another Diamond Princess.  We can only control our own actions.  Others will cancel cruises and go back into full pandemic mode.  That’s ok if it makes them feel safer.  I will cruise soon and hopefully still mask free on board the ship.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

WHO is going to fight Pfizer to get shots to 3rd world countries before wealthy nations release boosters, especially to healthy people. Likely that is the right thing to do in order to stop variants. We will see.

FDA will need to approve a third shot.  Not sure when that will happen.

• Like 1

I keep reading comments that the person infected was vaccinated yet I see no proof of that. How do you know, especially those of you NOT on board right now? And if indeed this person was vaccinated, we do not know with what vaccine and whether they had the second shot or when. So very little confirmed information and so very much raw speculation.

Edited by Aloha 1

3 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

I keep reading comments that the person infected was vaccinated yet I see no proof of that. How do you know, especially those of you NOT on board right now? And if indeed this person was vaccinated, we do not know with what vaccine and whether they had the second shot or when. So very little confirmed information and so very much raw speculation.

The original post says "Captain Kate reported that a vaccinated passenger..." I trust that it's accurate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

The original post says "Captain Kate reported that a vaccinated passenger..." I trust that it's accurate.

Missed that. Still doesn't answer the rest of the question.

4 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Missed that. Still doesn't answer the rest of the question.

To be considered "vaccinated" by the Captain of a Celebrity cruise ship, that must mean fully vaccinated, ie 2 weeks after second shot of 2-dose or 2 weeks after single dose.

Here is Celebrity's accepted vaccine policy. This should answer the remainder of your questions.

"Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted.   Sputnik V is not an accepted Covid-19 vaccine.  Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements. "

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There have been no outbreaks [...]

I think this is what people need to focus on. Yes there have been a handful of cases across RCL and X since the return to sailing but to our knowledge, these cases have not spread  on board. All the instances have been 1 to 2 individuals in close contact (i.e., mostly family) with each other that tested positive, likely having been exposed prior to the sailing, which is a risk we all face. These cases, however, are not spreading once on board pointing to the success of the vaccination and likely the air filtration on board. 

• Like 5